Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times

Advertisements

yeah, my car is going to be 12 years old in 4 months. The idea of spending $17k on a new ford focus, much less in the mid 20's to near 30k for something more expensive, just makes me cringe. People come up with all sorts of excuses as to why to buy new cars when basically they should just admit they are bored and want something different. Saving $500 a year in gas does not make up for the huge up front cost of trading off vehicles. I hope to drive it until it has a major transmission problem at this point and then just junk it.. I wouldn't get $1000 trade in for it anyways. I'll stomach an extra $15-25 in gas during a trip to WI though going 75-80 and saving 2 hours each way. Peanuts for a bit of peace of mind.. individual preferences like that are really priceless... I suppose.. like buying or trading off cars every year or two.

For what it's worth, a guy I work with is great and getting used cars at great prices and selling them for break even.. he's owned over 70 cars in his life doing this. He details them and has a friend who can repair them for cheap. Helps to have connections. It's basically his hobby. Tells me stories about how he used to go 130-140 MPH back and forth on the interstate from where he lives to Sioux Falls back in the 70's and 80's. Says he's amazed he lived through all the crap he did in his youth. He's owned 5 or 6 different cars in the 2 years I've known him.

Last edited by sholomar; 02-23-2012 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,480 times
The point is... basically everyone speeds, although going 10-15 over on a 55mph interstate is hardly "speeding". People will have, as stated before, their "holier than thou" attitudes about following the limit. Because our government knows what's best for us. Right...

Old 02-23-2012, 08:59 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
The point is... basically everyone speeds, although going 10-15 over on a 55mph interstate is hardly "speeding". People will have, as stated before, their "holier than thou" attitudes about following the limit. Because our government knows what's best for us. Right...
Speeding is not necessarily going fast. A driver going over the posted limit, or driving too fast for conditions, is speeding. If you go 35 MPH in a 25 MPH school zone, you're speeding. Here's some interesting info on speeding:

GHSA Issues: Speeding

The "holier than thou attitude" goes both ways: there are the people who justify their driving behaviors on established laws, and there are those who justify their behaviors on other rationales. Most people do a little of both: they'll justify driving 75 MPH on a 65 MPH highway, but will insist that a driver observe posted limits on the street they live on; or a person who drives within the speed limit on a highway may make a habit of ignoring "no turn on red" signs or seatbelt laws. People are pretty complex, and anyhow it's kind of hard not to break some laws (especially when we're not aware of them all).

Don't forget that even though the laws are handed to us by government, much of the time the government gets its information from "authorities." These authorities do not always act in the best public interest, and government often seeks truths that conform to a pre-established agenda, but sometimes laws do have some overall public benefit: water standards, food safety, industrial safety, and so on. This also applies to the traffic laws that you do (probably) happen to support--stopping at red lights, etc.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
The idea of spending $17k on a new ford focus, much less in the mid 20's to near 30k for something more expensive, just makes me cringe.
The idea of spending $1000 on a new Ford Focus makes me cringe.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Speeding is not necessarily going fast. A driver going over the posted limit, or driving too fast for conditions, is speeding. If you go 35 MPH in a 25 MPH school zone, you're speeding. Here's some interesting info on speeding:

GHSA Issues: Speeding

The "holier than thou attitude" goes both ways: there are the people who justify their driving behaviors on established laws, and there are those who justify their behaviors on other rationales. Most people do a little of both: they'll justify driving 75 MPH on a 65 MPH highway, but will insist that a driver observe posted limits on the street they live on; or a person who drives within the speed limit on a highway may make a habit of ignoring "no turn on red" signs or seatbelt laws. People are pretty complex, and anyhow it's kind of hard not to break some laws (especially when we're not aware of them all).

Don't forget that even though the laws are handed to us by government, much of the time the government gets its information from "authorities." These authorities do not always act in the best public interest, and government often seeks truths that conform to a pre-established agenda, but sometimes laws do have some overall public benefit: water standards, food safety, industrial safety, and so on. This also applies to the traffic laws that you do (probably) happen to support--stopping at red lights, etc.

Some cities in Michigan have illegally underposted speed limits because those speed limits do NOT comply with state law which requires speed limits be set according to 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds. Ain't it funny how government does not obey their own laws?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM

19 posts, read 76,715 times
This post is making me dread my upcoming drive through Wisconsin. Of all the states where I've lived, WI has by far the most dis-courteous drivers when it comes to use of the passing lanes.

It's as though lane useage is completely reversed there: most people use the left lane by default, and other people must pass on the right.

With all the talk about saving money in WI recently, I have to wonder why they didn't just make all roads with one lane? That would save hundreds of millions of dollars, and there's no point to a second lane anyway since 2 WI drivers = roadway totally blocked and no way to pass.

Regarding safety - if you want to drive the exact same speed as the other car, why are you doing it alongside them, blocking any potential exit the driver would have if a road hazard (deer, object in lane) presents itself? Why not get a safe distance behind or in front of the other car and then pace them? I can't stand when drivers catch up to me, get alongside me, then sit there. and sit there. and sit there. I don't want you on top of me, I like some space for safety maneuvers in case of emergency please.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Well how many "left exits" are in Milwaukee? I know theirs one by Miller Park, that right there is a big issue, especially people having to entering the the fast lane of a freeway

This is only a problem in Urban freeways btw, rural freeways are a breeze, everyone moves over or is already in the right lane

Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,865,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatfeb View Post
This post is making me dread my upcoming drive through Wisconsin. Of all the states where I've lived, WI has by far the most dis-courteous drivers when it comes to use of the passing lanes.
Every state I've lived in people have complained about slow drivers in the left lane. How about people think ahead & leave a couple minutes early? Wisconsin & Milwaukee does an adequate job. We have help because the state is extremely rural, so driving room open quickly.

If you think Wisconsin is bad then you need to visit other parts of the country. Mainly the Pac NW and areas of California. Someone posted on here an article stating that Wisconsin has the countries best drivers.
Where the Worst Drivers Live- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

I'll admit Madison drivers are bad, but Milwaukee drivers make up for them.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 10,809 times
Didn't read the whole post but just to let you know you have to travel 6 miles at 10mph over 60 to pick up one minute of travel time, going from Waukesha to Milwaukee going 70mph will only get you to your destination 2 minutes faster than if you were going 60. It's basic math. You travel one mile in one minute going 60mph.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 AM

34 posts, read 99,755 times
what really pisses me off is when i get off of work on fridays and saturdays at 12ish at night and i get on 94West and everyone is drunk driving!?!?! and then all freaking 3 lanes are being used and everyone is going 40-50 and swerving! that just really pisses me off to the point where i try to speed by them on the right lane at 80 just to show them.... lol i got a speed ticket for doing that once. Also what is it with people cruising along at 65-70 on the left lane?!?! that lane is for 70 and above!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee