Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,661 times

Advertisements

Many years ago, The Flash\Pass was unknown. I had no clue what the hell the person behind me wanted. Thought I had tail light issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
I haven't encountered the flash pass thing here yet. I've only seen it in the northeast while visiting. It comes across as extremely obnoxious to those who aren't used to it, even if the person doesn't intend for it to be so.
Milwaukee people have no clue as to what slow drivers are really like. I've started driving faster on the freeways around here just to keep from being run over. That means 10-15mph over most of the time.
Milwaukee has a large percentage of people who are impatient and hurried. I've lived in 7 states, and have only encountered passing on the right on a 2-lane side street once in my life prior to moving here. I've already encountered that oddity 5 or 6 times in Milwaukee.
People in Milwaukee drive like a bunch of 16 year-old boys who just got their license. No wonder there are so many wrecks in the snow in the winter (people drive like they're clueless to what snow is.... in Wisconsin) and bicyclists who get mowed down seemingly once a week in the summer.
Of course every place has it's quirks when it comes to driving.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 AM

251 posts, read 572,122 times
"Dear MKE Drivers, the left lane is for going fast"
What?

This is a common misconception. The left lane is for going the speed limit. Hence the term speed LIMIT. There is not much room for ambiguity or subjectivity regarding a posted number on a sign.

The right lane is for going slower than the posted speed limit.

I agree it's frustrating when people use the left lane for going slower than the speed limit, but nobody can justify getting angry for someone going the speed LIMIT in the left lane.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Try Ohio they drive so bad. Cincinnati is the worst!

Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I haven't encountered the flash pass thing here yet. I've only seen it in the northeast while visiting. It comes across as extremely obnoxious to those who aren't used to it, even if the person doesn't intend for it to be so.
Milwaukee people have no clue as to what slow drivers are really like. I've started driving faster on the freeways around here just to keep from being run over. That means 10-15mph over most of the time.
Milwaukee has a large percentage of people who are impatient and hurried. I've lived in 7 states, and have only encountered passing on the right on a 2-lane side street once in my life prior to moving here. I've already encountered that oddity 5 or 6 times in Milwaukee.
People in Milwaukee drive like a bunch of 16 year-old boys who just got their license. No wonder there are so many wrecks in the snow in the winter (people drive like they're clueless to what snow is.... in Wisconsin) and bicyclists who get mowed down seemingly once a week in the summer.
Of course every place has it's quirks when it comes to driving.
I experienced the flash pass in Indiana about to enter Chicago.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
"Dear MKE Drivers, the left lane is for going fast"
What?

This is a common misconception. The left lane is for going the speed limit. Hence the term speed LIMIT. There is not much room for ambiguity or subjectivity regarding a posted number on a sign.

The right lane is for going slower than the posted speed limit.

I agree it's frustrating when people use the left lane for going slower than the speed limit, but nobody can justify getting angry for someone going the speed LIMIT in the left lane.
So what you're saying is that if I am doing 54 or 55 in the left lane in Milwaukee or Chicago that people behind me have no justification in being mad? and that I should feel safe driving that speed.

There is the rules are rules approach but let's be real here if you're not driving 5-10 over in the left lane you should move over. I have been pulled over in LA for driving too slow in the left lane after several commuters called the cops to complain. The cop said just move over and use your head out here.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So what you're saying is that if I am doing 54 or 55 in the left lane in Milwaukee or Chicago that people behind me have no justification in being mad? and that I should feel safe driving that speed.

There is the rules are rules approach but let's be real here if you're not driving 5-10 over in the left lane you should move over. I have been pulled over in LA for driving too slow in the left lane after several commuters called the cops to complain. The cop said just move over and use your head out here.
Yes, IF the speed limit is 55, then other hurried, speeding drivers have no reason to be mad if you are going the speed limit.

Of course you were pulled over for going too slow in the left lane. The left lane is for going the speed limit, not less than the speed limit. That's what the right lane is for.

It's too bad that people feel the need to constantly push the limits they're given regarding they're safety.
If the speed limit was 90, someone would constantly go 100/110 and get mad at people "only" going 90. Where is the point at which people just follow the rules of the road?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitylove View Post
Of course you were pulled over for going too slow in the left lane. The left lane is for going the speed limit, not less than the speed limit. That's what the right lane is for.
I was doing 7 over!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I was doing 7 over!
well that's just dumb. (the cop pulling you over)

Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,324 times
The left lane is NOT for going the speed limit. That's what the right lane is for. The left lane is for passing and faster moving traffic... sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee