Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,693 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to repeat everything that has been stated in previous posts, but I will say that I agree 100% with the posters saying Milwaukee drivers do not know how to use the expressway.

It's ridiculous, and it does happen much more in Milwaukee than in any other areas I frequently drive (Chicago), and other parts of the country. The one thing that bugs me the most is when someone in the left lane is driving parallel to the person in the middle lane; and then instead of speeding up, they keep going the same speed and keep looking back at you in the mirror, seeming like they're getting mad that you're behind them and 'pushing' them to go faster.

It seems that many in Milwaukee have a small town driving attitude. As far as on-ramps, I find it absolutely unnecessary for them to have stop lights to tell you when it is okay to merge (I'm aware this isn't unique to Wisconsin). As if people didn't merge too slow to begin with, now you stop them half of the way up the on-ramp, and they make no attempt to accelerate any faster than they would if the stop lights weren't there. This ends up causing even MORE of a traffic issue. Are drivers really that bad that they can't do something as simple as merge on to the expressway with the flow of traffic without a light to tell them "when it's safe"?

Ridiculous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 11:39 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Are drivers really that bad that they can't do something as simple as merge on to the expressway with the flow of traffic without a light to tell them "when it's safe"?

Ridiculous...
The metered on ramps are for the purpose of allowing small volumes of traffic onto the freeway at one time, not for telling people when it's safe to merge.

Ramp meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM

113 posts, read 309,278 times
I am a little late to this conversation, but everyone talks of the discourtesy of those who drive slow in the left lane but make no mention of those who drive too fast for conditions or aggressively. I typically drive 10 miles per hour over the speed limit, sometimes faster, but not often. I simply do not want the risk of a ticket. I accept that if I am going 65mph in a 55mph zone, that some people will want to pass me. However there is no inherent right to go 70mph in this zone. If I am passing someone going 55mph, you should wait until i clear that car and then I will get over. Shining (not flashing) your brights in someone's rearview or tailgating usually do not help the situation and are somewhat dangerous. So is weaving in and out of traffic at 90 and 100 mph. I am pretty young and know I likely sound like a prude. I get annoyed when some is going slower than me and I eventually have to pass them on the right, but come on, to imply that slow drivers cause more accidents than super-fast, super-aggressive ones is ridiculous.
In short. It's not the 70mph lane, it's not the 20 mph over the speed limit lane, it's not the everyone should be going as fast as me lane, its the passing lane. If you have a problem with someone being in that lane and not passing, that a legit beef. If you have a problem because someone is in that passing other traffic but has the audacity to go slower than you are, then you need to learn some patience.

I feel like I should go watch some Matlock now.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:05 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The metered on ramps are for the purpose of allowing small volumes of traffic onto the freeway at one time, not for telling people when it's safe to merge.

Ramp meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL the picture of the Milwaukee ramp meter is the one I was referencing earlier. Confusing for people who have never seen them before but I imagine they're pretty good at controlling traffic during busy times. The only thing is that you have less time to get up to speed to merge, like someone else mentioned.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 AM

33 posts, read 144,643 times
How about when during rush hour there are long lines of cars at a stoplight and some jack@ss goes flying by everyone in the right lane and goes straight through the light even though it is a "right-turn only" lane? They think they are better than everyone and shouldn't wait their turn?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:14 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
If you are getting passed in the center lane, please move over.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:10 PM

167 posts, read 315,633 times
Here's another good one Milwaukee drivers do all the time -- They speed up to prevent you from passing them or merging in front of them. WTF -- Two seconds ago they were lollygagging along, but when you go to pass they suddenly want to be Mario Andretti and get on the gas pedal.

Morons.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:49 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherCountry View Post
Here's another good one Milwaukee drivers do all the time -- They speed up to prevent you from passing them or merging in front of them. WTF -- Two seconds ago they were lollygagging along, but when you go to pass they suddenly want to be Mario Andretti and get on the gas pedal.

Morons.

I wish I could rep you +100 for this one. This happens to me on a daily basis.

Flash to Pass: so don't show me the bird you are the bird for not moving over.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM

358 posts, read 451,313 times
I absolutely hate it when people pass on the right on a one-lane city road.

For example... 43rd Street south of Oklahoma is one lane each way. Yet people try to pass me on the right even if I'm driving 35 mph (speed limit is 25).

The space on the right is for parking cars people. It's not a lane.

I found a similar complaint here: Passing on the right! - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
Default Courtesy

Its simple. Drivers need to realize how traffic works. If your in someone's way your likely creating traffic. If you stay alert, refrain from any unecessary slowing or stopping and you move right you will create a better driving atmosphere for everyone involved.

LeftLaneCampers.com is an iniative to stop left lane campers. These people who think they have the right to do whatever they want on the roadways. LeftLaneCampers wants to start a social trend that spreads the word on how to use the road.

Laws will never stop this issue of bad drivers. It must be a social iniative and social cause. For the same reason you know how to drive, because someone other than the law taught you curtousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee