Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,317,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracorp View Post
Quijote, so if I hear you correctly, you mean to say that since the posted limit on 43 is 55, then it is perfectly fine for someone to be in the left lane doing 55 and holding up a line of 8 cars? I just cant agree with that. Studies have shown that when speed limits are removed completely, accidents do not increase because people generally drive at a speed that feels safe to them.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure that I did not read your post correctly.
Just to clarify: If the MPH is 55, and if traffic flow allows it, I have no problem with someone in the left lane doing 55. However, if a faster car comes up from behind, the 55 MPHer should pull aside and, if circumstances allow, return to the left lane afterward.

Generally speaking, a 55 MPHer should not be in the left lane with several cars behind; that's dangerous for traffic flow. However, a 55 MPHer on a 55 MPH road should not have to become a 50 MPHer in the right lane just because occasional drivers want do go 70 in the left lane. The choices on a 55 MPH road shouldn't have to be only 45-50 in the right or 70 in the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 04:55 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Hey I was driving on 794 the other day and saw Quijote driving so I took a pic of him driving. Apparently he was mad at all the people driving so fast next to him.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:07 PM

448 posts, read 1,820,947 times
The year that I did the commute from Milwaukee to Detroit I found Michigan drivers as a rule never faced the passing lane rule. Wisconsin and Illinois drivers for the most part followed the rule but Michigan drivers rarely realized there was a rule.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default YOU be the change

I was in Milwaukee last month. I followed the speed limit, going slightly over at times with the flow of traffic. I rarely took the far left lane as I saw no desire to get myself all worked up because I couldn't get to my destination 23 seconds sooner. If the driver in front of me was going slower than I preferred (much lower than the speed limit), I waited until there was an opening so that I could safely pass. I drove an SUV and sat up higher which I find far more relaxing than driving a car. Guess what? I enjoyed dirving around Milwaukee. It's a slower pace than what I'm accustomed to, but this is Milwaukee.

You can't change how others drive, but you can change how YOU respond. I learned this valuable lesson when I first learned how to drive at a Milwaukee Public School driver's education class when I was a junior in HS. It has served me well and leads to a safer, more fulfilling driving experience all around.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 PM

It's not that we need to go fast and that we need to be somewhere in a hurry. We as fast drivers like to drive fast, why drive 50 when you can drive 70? it's like why have 40 dollars when you can have 67 dollars? because we like to drive fast we want to drive fast and we can drive fast. There is no reason that the lake parkway should be 40 mph when lesser roads in Texas have speed limits of 70 during the day 65 during the night.

Why do you drive 55? why not drive 46? I can safely get where I am going by going 65-70 on the freeway just as you are driving 50 mph. It's just a preference.

Let me ask you this, would you obey the speed limit on the IKE or the Edens?

BTW, when you are merging on a on ramp you do not have the right of way so don't be mad if the driver in the right lane doesn't let you in. It's your job to get up to speed hence the "get up to speed" signs in the south to get up to speed to either get in front of them or behind them.

Yield to the right is another rule forgotten up here.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:07 PM

92 posts, read 230,098 times
OMG, this made me laugh out loud! This has been one of my pet peeves since we moved here. So frustrating sometimes, especially when you get trapped behind someone dipsying along in the fast lane and are unable to get over to your exit without cutting someone else off. Grrr! Guess I lived in other large cities (notably Atlanta -where they will run you down if you're not going at least 80 in the outside lane) too long to ever get used to the strict speed limit adherence here.

And about the MI drivers - lol - my experience has been that the lone car driving along in the left lane all by itself and NEVER getting over to let you by is going to be from MI 95% of the time. Just have to shake your head as you zoom by on the right.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 PM

I will say this about WI drivers, at least they aren't as passive and slow as MN drivers...Geesh!!!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Hey I was driving on 794 the other day and saw Quijote driving so I took a pic of him driving. Apparently he was mad at all the people driving so fast next to him.
Ha! I hope my eyesight is better than that, but that does resemble my car a bit....

Actually, I don't mind if people drive fast next to me; I just don't like the tailgaters who think they own the roads.

And believe it or not, I'm a very calm driver--I don't get angry, I don't feel like I need to "beat" others to the punch, etc. I understand that there are better things to do than sit in a car, but the car isn't a toy or weapon, either. I'd rather sit in a car for a few extra minutes than in a hospital or worse for a lot longer.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
It's not that we need to go fast and that we need to be somewhere in a hurry. We as fast drivers like to drive fast, why drive 50 when you can drive 70? it's like why have 40 dollars when you can have 67 dollars? because we like to drive fast we want to drive fast and we can drive fast.
I generally drive right at the speed limit or up to five MPH over. I don't particularly mind that other people like to speed, but what bothers me is the mentality that driving within the accepted range is "slow" and that speeding is "normal." People should slow down, get an earlier start, and count their blessings that they don't have to travel by foot or horse and buggy. Safety and common courtesy are key--no one has a right to speed, just because they like it, if it puts others at risk and creates hazardous conditions for "normal" drivers. (And Milwaukee City, I'm not saying that any of this applies to you--I have no idea how you handle other people on the road)

Your comparison between speed and money is interesting, but it doesn't quite make sense. More money is always good, but there's a breaking point at which a certain speed (and beyond) is dangerous for conditions. Same for those who drive slowly--if you can't deal with posted speeds and local customs (such as the Edens), then stay off the road.

Quote:
There is no reason that the lake parkway should be 40 mph when lesser roads in Texas have speed limits of 70 during the day 65 during the night.Why do you drive 55? why not drive 46? I can safely get where I am going by going 65-70 on the freeway just as you are driving 50 mph. It's just a preference.
Many times I've caught myself going past 40 on Lake Parkway; it seems like a ridiculous maximum to me. But I try to stay within range of 40, just in case. If other people want to zoom by, that's fine with me--just remember that I and others have to be in the left lane (going south) if we want to turn off on Oklahoma. I won't go 60 or 70 on that stretch of road just to please the speed junkies.

Quote:
Let me ask you this, would you obey the speed limit on the IKE or the Edens?
I go with the slower right-lane flow on these byways--which is still speeding, but not as fast as the mega speeders. And by staying in the right lanes, I avoid most of the nutjobs who think it's a good idea to weave in and out of traffic at 80 MPH. Many people seem to have forgotten that a car can be a dangerous weapon.

Quote:
BTW, when you are merging on a on ramp you do not have the right of way so don't be mad if the driver in the right lane doesn't let you in. It's your job to get up to speed hence the "get up to speed" signs in the south to get up to speed to either get in front of them or behind them.
Very true, though some ramps are so short and circular that it's tough to get a proper, running start. (Unless you're good at going 55-70 MPH on a tightly coiled surface.)

Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I will say this about WI drivers, at least they aren't as passive and slow as MN drivers...Geesh!!!
When I lived in the rural South and went out to drive, there almost always seemed to be someone up ahead driving a duct-taped clunker realllllly slowly with the blinker on (and nowhere to turn off to). And I'm not kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee