Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I will say this about WI drivers, at least they aren't as passive and slow as MN drivers...Geesh!!!
true MN drivers are quite slow. 90 in southern MN is pretty much straight flat all the way across.. 80 can be done safely which is what I do and I've never been pulled over, however I do pass the majority of MN people at this speed.

Strange as they seem to go faster in SD where the limit is 75, and in WI where it's 65, then they do in MN where it's 70.

I find aggressive drivers more irritating then slow drivers however... ones that ride your bumper during a 15 mile construction zone where it's one lane thinking it will speed everybody up so they can go the 85 or 90 they were going before the construction. Makes me wish I had directional rocket launchers mounted to the roof of the car. I already go fast... I have no tolerance for people who want to do 55 in a 35 however and will follow you no matter how fast you go. I then just slow down to 35 and let them get pissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracorp View Post
Sorry people but I have to rant here. Everyday I drive home from Franklin to Brown Deer and I see the same thing. First I get stuck in that 94 construction which is a given and I am used to. The thing I can't stand is that once I get past the construction on 43 north, I get stuck behind some guy doing 54 in the passing lane. It even bothers me when people are doing 60 in the left lane I mean come on its dry pavement and I don't want to spend half my life in my car.

You might call me a speed demon but I think 70 is a safe speed for the most part. I recently went on a road trip and get this: when I was behind someone in the left lane going faster than them, they would change lanes and let me pass. What a novel concept. Then I get back to WI and well people seem oblivious to this common rule of the road.

/End rant. Discuss.
Were you the one tailgating me thru the construction zone saturday night? speed limit 50 !
really, 70 in a 50, that's about a $150.00 ticket, and higher insurance rates, like they're already not high enough.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Were you the one tailgating me thru the construction zone saturday night? speed limit 50 !
really, 70 in a 50, that's about a $150.00 ticket, and higher insurance rates, like they're already not high enough.
"Safest speed is the speed of traffic" so if everyone is doing 70 then yes 70 is the speed IE: anywhere in Chicago and I95 in Florida!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
"Safest speed is the speed of traffic" so if everyone is doing 70 then yes 70 is the speed ....
Not in a construction zone.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 AM

146 posts, read 388,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post

Haha no I actually do drive slower in the construction zone....probably 60 if I can, but around there I realize we need to go slower because of how the lanes are curved somewhat and there is less room for error. I'm still running into people doing 54 in the fast lane after the construction zone. It took me an hour to drive 22 miles on thursday....it should take me about 30 minutes to go that far if people are keeping the traffic flowing well. I'm just fed up spending so much time in traffic lately. I don't like my 8 hour day turning into a 10 hour day.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 23,594 times
At the speed limits, this will be an expensive vacation for me as a German driver!
Hope I can control my right foot...........( "Yes officer, I did see the speed sign ....I didn`t see you !!" )

Old 10-15-2010, 08:44 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Not in a construction zone.
Some are oblivious to construction zone speed limits, as I witnessed Saturday evening. With this being said, do people think it
is ok to drive 70 m.p.h. thru the zones even when no workers are present?

Some states say on the signage erected, speed limts when workers are present, Wisconsin does not, so, with that in mind, I believe it's safe to say that the speed limits in C zones apply at all times.

As a general court rule, it is $2.00 per m.p.h. for every mile over the limit, and doubled in C zones, $4.00 per m.ph., 20 m.p.h. over? $80.00 plus $150.00 court costs, plus a mark on your DL, plus higher insurance rates, plus attorney fees?

The state of Pennsylvania has the stiffest penalties, IMO.

What if a person rearends a C vehicle? What if a person injures or kills a worker? Illinois: Failure to slow/yield in a C zone,
Quote:
Construction Zones
When approaching or entering a highway construction or maintenance area, Illinois law requires motorists to stop all wireless phone communications, slow down, yield to any authorized vehicles or workers in the area, change to a lane away from the workers, and proceed with caution. If a lane change is not possible, reduce speed and proceed with caution. Penalties for traffic violations in construction zones include fines of up to $10,000, a driver’s license suspension of 90 days to two years and possible imprisonment.
I'll be in the right lane doing the limit, please do not tailgate me, go around me on the left if someone want's to speed. I value my driving privileges. It's not a right to drive.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM

25 posts, read 43,405 times
I've been on the interstate before and had someone in the left lane and the only two people on the interstate were him and myself. I don't understand why some people seem to drive only in the left lane. It's a "passing lane". If you are not "passing" someone you should, by law, move to the right lane. Even if you are doing the speed limit if you are not "passing" you should move over. I believe there are some states where you can be ticketed for not moving over. Don't get me started on people who talk on a cell phone while driving!! They're worse than drunk drivers!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 PM

146 posts, read 388,539 times
I, for one stay in the left lane because it's rare to see traffic move above 60 mph in the middle lane so why bother changing lanes constantly, the sheriff is not going to pull you over for doing so.

MKE roadway gripe #2141254215

The other day coming home from work I was taking 43 North and was somewhere around Capitol Dr. Anyway there was a state trooper in the right lane doing about 50mph so naturally everyone thinks they need to pace him or they're going to get pulled over. So here I am in the left lane behind people doing 50 and I am not pleased because. A. The state trooper is more than likely to be returning from the courthouse and just wants to get home and doesn't even want to pull anyone over, and B. State troopers aren't the ones who enforce the traffic laws in MKE, its the sheriff.

So me being a speed demon, somehow found a way to get some room in the middle lane and promptly accelerated to about 63 in full view of the trooper. I was not pulled over and other cars followed suit.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracorp View Post
MKE roadway gripe #2141254215: The other day coming home from work I was taking 43 North and was somewhere around Capitol Dr. Anyway there was a state trooper in the right lane doing about 50mph so naturally everyone thinks they need to pace him or they're going to get pulled over. So here I am in the left lane behind people doing 50 and I am not pleased because. A. The state trooper is more than likely to be returning from the courthouse and just wants to get home and doesn't even want to pull anyone over, and B. State troopers aren't the ones who enforce the traffic laws in MKE, its the sheriff.

So me being a speed demon, somehow found a way to get some room in the middle lane and promptly accelerated to about 63 in full view of the trooper. I was not pulled over and other cars followed suit.
LOL Rep +6. This is one of my fav's as well.

I have two stories:

One I passed a MKE Sheriff at 65 in a 50 and he just looked over at me and that was it. I always do 10 over on freeways and usually 40-45 on side streets like 27th street.

Another time when I was 21 and stupid I was going for a drive at 830 pm in july. I just installed a new stereo and decided to try it out by driving the freeway loop aka 894/94. I was doing 80/85 when a black Tahoe pulled up next to me and I thought great! here is a suv, all black and 5% tint so I can't see who is inside. As we are driving through the Plain-field curve at 80 mph in a 50 mph he rolls down his window and waves! IT WAS 4 MILWAUKEE COUNTY SHERIFFS!!!! in a undercover SUV!

The passenger cop just waved and smiled, I with a baseball in my throat slowed way down thinking I am busted.

As they continued at 8-/85 and I slowed to 65 I notice in the back windows their cop lights in the upper right and left corner of the back window.

Obviously they weren't going to pull me over but they knew just by rolling down the window and waving, I would learn my lesson.

So beware, MKE Sheriffs have older model cars and new model cars un marked, you never know you you are riding next to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee