Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 AM

146 posts, read 388,539 times

Advertisements

Sorry people but I have to rant here. Everyday I drive home from Franklin to Brown Deer and I see the same thing. First I get stuck in that 94 construction which is a given and I am used to. The thing I can't stand is that once I get past the construction on 43 north, I get stuck behind some guy doing 54 in the passing lane. It even bothers me when people are doing 60 in the left lane I mean come on its dry pavement and I don't want to spend half my life in my car.

You might call me a speed demon but I think 70 is a safe speed for the most part. I recently went on a road trip and get this: when I was behind someone in the left lane going faster than them, they would change lanes and let me pass. What a novel concept. Then I get back to WI and well people seem oblivious to this common rule of the road.

/End rant. Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultracorp View Post
Sorry people but I have to rant here. Everyday I drive home from Franklin to Brown Deer and I see the same thing. First I get stuck in that 94 construction which is a given and I am used to. The thing I can't stand is that once I get past the construction on 43 north, I get stuck behind some guy doing 54 in the passing lane. It even bothers me when people are doing 60 in the left lane I mean come on its dry pavement and I don't want to spend half my life in my car.

You might call me a speed demon but I think 70 is a safe speed for the most part. I recently went on a road trip and get this: when I was behind someone in the left lane going faster than them, they would change lanes and let me pass. What a novel concept. Then I get back to WI and well people seem oblivious to this common rule of the road.

/End rant. Discuss.
Thank You!!!!

Wisconsin has some of the rudest drivers around.

"No I am not moving in fact I will slam on my brakes to brake check you then I will sit here while the center lane and right lanes pass me. I see the 9 cars behind me but I am not moving because the speed limit is 55 and I am doing 54."

-Stupid Wisconsin driver.

Swallow your stupid pride and just move over

Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 AM

BTW, you are not going to get a ticket for doing 10 over in Milwaukee county. Milw county sheriffs issue about 18,000 tickets a year and out of that 18,000 only 4 where for 10 over two years ago.

If you want to drive 50 in the right lane just take side streets, on side streets the speed is 40-45 anyways.

Also if I am passing you in the right lane just move over, you're not just holding me up but probably the 45 drivers behind me as well.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 AM

I also love the people who slow down when the sheriff is on the opposite side of the median doing radar. Whats he going to do? Magically levitate his squad over the median and chase you down?

Last edited by Ultracorp; 09-18-2010 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: spelled sherriff wrong

Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I also love the people who slow down when the sheriff is on the opposite side of the median doing radar. Whats he going to do? Magically levitate his squad over the median and chase you down?
Yes!!! Also if the sheriff has someone pulled over only the right lane needs to slow down and not to 25 mph and the center and left lane just keep moving with the speed of traffic.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:22 AM

ooohhh I got two more,

how about people that merge on the freeway doing 45! or how about people who slow down on a ramp to another freeway, they slow down to 45 or 50 when in my car I can do the same at 70mph with no problem.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:32 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,316,526 times
Quote:

/End rant. Discuss.
70 may be a safe speed in parts, but if the maximum speed is 50 or 55, you just might get stopped for speeding. As far as I'm concerned, as long as drivers in the left lane are going at the posted maximum MPH, I don't have an issue. Drivers who want to exceed the maximum rate should expect the maximum MPHers to move out of the way, but the maximum MPHers have every right to return to the left lane, and the speeders speed at their own risk (in terms of police and safety).

The only time I find it acceptable for slower drivers to be in the left lane is when they're making room in the right lane for merging traffic (such as happens at Brown Deer and Good Hope exits). Of course, the point is to demonstrate courtesy, help maintain basic traffic flow, and prevent accidents. In cases like these, the faster drivers should themselves demonstrate some understanding of the situation; the slower driver should return to the right lane once the bottleneck is cleared, and the faster driver should give the slower driver a chance to do so, instead of tailgating and acting childish.

Safety and courtesy are always more important than one driver's desire to save a few seconds to get somewhere. I strongly believe that the speeders (and, less commonly, snails) who put their own agendas above the safety of the road conditions should have their licenses revoked and cars impounded.

Last edited by Empidonax; 09-18-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
ooohhh I got two more,

how about people that merge on the freeway doing 45! or how about people who slow down on a ramp to another freeway, they slow down to 45 or 50 when in my car I can do the same at 70mph with no problem.
If the posted exit rate is 45 or 50, I don't see the problem.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

If you want to drive 50 in the right lane just take side streets, on side streets the speed is 40-45 anyways.
If the minimum MPH allows for much slower driving, the driver may have a reason for using the highway at a slow speed instead of city streets. For example, a person transporting pets, plants, breakable items may need the continuous ride flow, at a slowish speed, in order to make a successful trip, whereas city streets are stop and go and not as friendly towards some cargo.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 AM

Quijote, so if I hear you correctly, you mean to say that since the posted limit on 43 is 55, then it is perfectly fine for someone to be in the left lane doing 55 and holding up a line of 8 cars? I just cant agree with that. Studies have shown that when speed limits are removed completely, accidents do not increase because people generally drive at a speed that feels safe to them.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure that I did not read your post correctly.

Last edited by Ultracorp; 09-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: cause
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee