Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 PM

27 posts, read 110,021 times

Advertisements

My husband just accepted a position in Dayton, Ohio. We leave when school lets out in June.

1. Mahtomedi for the past 6 years.
2. Dayton, OH. Closer to elderly parents, friends and family in Indiasapolis. Husband will make more in a growing company and cost of living is lower although the property taxes in the area of Dayton where will be leaving are double what they are where we currently live.
3. Minnesota Nice. If you did not grow up here, forget it. The cliques were established years ago and there is not room for more members regardless of how truely nice you are.
4. My in-laws lake home up near Alex and the wonderful Catholic school where my son attends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 AM

109 posts, read 142,633 times
Question 1. Where did you live in Minnesota? Rogers

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why? First to Iowa for college (I know, I know), and now in Cleveland for work (love it!)

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota? Family. And the awesome outlet mall very close to where I grew up.

Question 4. What do you miss the least? Oh boy...Winters, lack of diversity, attitudes of people, difficult to travel to other major cities, feeling of Midwest being stagnant and unopen to change, not dynamic, etc...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuscoCasa View Post
Question 1. Where did you live in Minnesota? Rogers

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why? First to Iowa for college (I know, I know), and now in Cleveland for work (love it!)

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota? Family. And the awesome outlet mall very close to where I grew up.

Question 4. What do you miss the least? Oh boy...Winters, lack of diversity, attitudes of people, difficult to travel to other major cities, feeling of Midwest being stagnant and unopen to change, not dynamic, etc...
You won't like Cleveland then...The only way you would is if you were already from here.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM

109 posts, read 142,633 times
I am currently in Cleveland. The weather is better (especially the huge lack of snow this winter, though I know that's not typical). I love the huge amount of diversity here and never found that in MN, as well as the ability to easily travel the East Coast from this location vs. how far MN is from everything. Cleveland definitely gets a bad rap, but I feel that certain areas are revitalizing and it does have a lot to offer, and there are some great suburbs too. So I can say that I enjoy Cleveland.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuscoCasa View Post
I am currently in Cleveland. The weather is better (especially the huge lack of snow this winter, though I know that's not typical). I love the huge amount of diversity here and never found that in MN, as well as the ability to easily travel the East Coast from this location vs. how far MN is from everything. So I can say that I enjoy Cleveland.
Interesting, because I find Cleveland to be less diverse in many aspects (obviously depending on where you are -- I'm in Shaker Heights), and the weather is milder in the winter but not as warm in the summer and MUCH cloudier! Plus, I prefer to ski and skate in the winter and I can't do that here. Since I have no reason to travel East it doesn't help me much here in Cleveland, but it's the same distance to Chicago (time-wise) -- where I have family -- as Minneapolis is, so that's a draw for me (no advantage).

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but as someone who is also experiencing both cities I thought I'd offer my input as well to give people perspective.

Are you from the area?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,383 times
Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?
Kingfield, South Minneapolis

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?
Oregon or Washington, if I stay in The U.S . I have also Thought about going to Canada
Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?
Cold winters, Felt like an outsider, Job Market
Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota?
Family that lives here.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Oz View Post

And a survey for those that already left minnesota...

Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota?

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why?

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota?

Question 4. What do you miss the least?
1. Grew up in Golden Valley, school at St. Thomas in St. Paul, and then lived in Minneapolis.

2. Pittsburgh. Graduate school.

3. Well, there's the obvious....family and friends, etc. But also little things. Being able to drive to a lake in 5 minutes to be on the beach on a really, really hot day in the summer....I miss downtown, because downtown Pittsburgh is DEAD after business hours....I miss the Twins....I miss Jucy Lucy's....I miss the MIA, Art-a-Whirl, art fairs, etc....and-- maybe most of all-- I think Pittsburgh has a much older population and that Minneapolis has a bit more to offer somebody my age (in terms of dining, bars, dancing, shopping, etc.).

4. The weather (especially in the winter), and traffic. Also, the sometimes 'provincial' attitude that people could have there...

Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now? Eden Prairie, work downtown and travel every other week or so.

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why? Los Angeles, opportunity to increase my wealth and work in a nicer office.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota? My landlord is too cheap to fix the crappy office I work in downtown and expects me to build him a new one.

Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota? The weeping blondes.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM

54 posts, read 166,290 times
Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota?
South Mpls

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why?
Georgia, for a 100% change!

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota?
Hmm. I am having trouble coming up with an answer. I guess the ability to walk around a lake.

Question 4. What do you miss the least?
The pretense of mn nice and the holier than thou liberal attitudes.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM

I suppose I can participate in this as well:

1.) Where DID I live in MN? Edina, near Southdale in an apartment.

2.) Where did I move to? Cleveland, OH, to be closer to my wife's family and get help with baby (my family is all in California now and both my wife and I have had health issues that made it impossible to stick it out on our own).

3.) What do I miss most? Where should I start? For me personally (and this is TRULY just me), there's not more than 1 or 2 things about Cleveland or Ohio that I prefer over MN, and that makes my life just a little bit harder for me on just about any level. But the three things I miss most that I've truly noticed are:
1. the lakes: what is it about Lakes Calhoun/Harriet that make me feel so connected to them?
2. the attitude: people in MN act nice and positive -- even if they aren't -- and people in Cleveland act nasty and mean -- even if they aren't.
3. the atmosphere: MN and the Cities are clean, organized, beautiful and well-kept. Cleveland CAN BE extremely blighted, neglected, shoddy, trashy, and down-right disgusting in parts. Although in other parts I wish MN had some of the infrastructure/architecture that Cleveland does.

4.) What do I miss least? Driving to work. I take the train in Cleveland and, even though that option exists in the Twin Cities, it's far from accessible compared to here. Give it a few years and the two cities should have relatively comparable systems, but it's not a contest....I just don't want to drive to work if I don't have to. That, or I don't want to have to commute at all because I run my own business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul