Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times

Advertisements

I am the proud owner of an I heart Minneapolis t-shirt! I own an Uptown shirt, too, but there's no heart on it. One day I'll buy or make my own I heart Lyn-Lake shirt, too. One of my brothers says it's not cool to wear shirts from your own city or state, which I suppose makes some sense. A lot of those people wearing the NY shirts aren't from there.

I do think you're right about the hubris and Minnesota-sensitivity thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
Maybe we should make neighborhood-specific t-shirts. My "I heart NoMi" t-shirt would have a heart, with some low-rider pants dragging on the ground, doing that plumber's butt effect.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
Maybe we should make neighborhood-specific t-shirts. My "I heart NoMi" t-shirt would have a heart, with some low-rider pants dragging on the ground, doing that plumber's butt effect.
I read somewhere about some NoMI shirts (or maybe they just read "North?"), but haven't been able to track them down. I had thought that I'd get one for my grandfather for Christmas. I think there's definitely a market out there for neighborhood shirts, and I bet your idea would probably sell very well. I don't know if my grandfather would go for the low-riders, though. Maybe there can be different shirts for different age brackets.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM

256 posts, read 586,203 times
I wonder if the North t-shirts weren't themed after North high school?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
A lot of those people wearing the NY shirts aren't from there.
Yeah, I don't think anyone born in NY would wear that shirt. Most people who are born into New York aren't Manhattanites, and they don't particularly like New York. My parents hated it...only one family member of mine out of dozens who are from NY still live there. But, like most people, we didn't live in penthouses, we were just normal people from Queens. And the city can be pretty hard on you when you're not rich, and the city isn't your playground. Anyway, the shirts are definitely for tourists.

Personally, I think people from Minneapolis are way more proud of their city than anywhere I have been for any time. Which, for me, means the East Coast. People here have irrational hatreds of the city, and quite often if you even say something good about it, you'll get told about all the bad things. Minneapolis, on the other hand, people got into arguments with me when I would complain about the littlest things, as if I had insulted their mother or something. It was quite the spectacle.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 AM

49 posts, read 100,224 times
Question 1. Where in minnesota do you live now?

Northwestern Suburb.

Question 2. Where do you want to move to, and why?

Two choices:

A. Northern California (Sacramento / Roseville area).

B. Southern California

A. would be because I spent my childhood there, and the quieter lifestyle in that region appeals to us.

B. Would be easier to take our jobs with us, and would open up a huge number of opportunities for me personally.

Both A. and B. offer a much more diverse population to meet. Also, the thought of leaving the Arctic Cold of Minnesotan winters behind us for good is a driving force in our daily lives.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave minnesota?

"Minnesota Nice:"

A dozen years of being the perpetual outsider, of seeing our other transplant friends come and go, and dealing with the passive-aggressive nature of locals is enough.
We'll miss some things about living here, but the people will not be one of them.

Climate:

Two years ago, my wife was diagnosed with a chronic health condition. Though she's doing great now, long-term she needs to be both more active and to have more exposure to Vitamin D. That's nigh-impossible to do in a place where we're frozen indoors six months per year. Add in that the humid heat of the summers is bad for her condition, and it's not a good fit.

That being said, life is just too short to live in this climate unless you love it. We don't, so we're leaving.

Crushing Loneliness:

We've had a bunch of good friends over the past twelve years. All of them were transplants like us, and all of them have since moved away.

The locals we thought we were friends with all turned out to be situational acquaintances. Once we were no longer able to offer them added value like some kind of resource on a project sheet, we were no longer worth even the smallest amount of courtesy.

We debated going through the process of meeting more transplants -- there is a better network for that now -- but at this point it's not worth it. Health reasons aside, our transplant friends who have moved on have all said the same thing: "Get out of there!"

We're finally taking their advice.

Question 4. What will you miss most about minnesota?

The house where our kids grew up.

Our immediate neighbors. Good people.

The biking and hiking trails right near our house.

Our particular suburb.

The scenery outside of the cities.

Clean air.

The early days of autumn.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:59 PM

370 posts, read 903,497 times
Short and sweet.

Question 1. Where in Minnesota do you live now?
Orono

Northwest coast. Ocean, forests, hills/mountains and fast running water.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave Minnesota?
Outsider syndrome withing social and employment spheres. I have no compelling reason to stay once the kid graduates in 2015. Weather isn't really a factor.

Question 4. What will you miss most about Minnesota?
Our house. We've done a lot of work to it to make it a nice place to live and its a nice property.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:40 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Oz View Post

And a survey for those that already left minnesota...

Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota?

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why?

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota?

Question 4. What do you miss the least?
1. grew up in Eagan, MN, went to college in Winona, MN

2. Chicago, got a job offer right out of college

3. My family and my dog

4. The boring-ness

Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 AM

109 posts, read 280,011 times
Question 1. Where did you live in minnesota?
Grew up in St. Paul. Lived in Eagan and West St. Paul

Question 2. Where did you move to? and why?
Tampa FL. We don't have any family or friends here but we've wanted to "escape" MN for YEARS, decades actually. I feel like the weather in MN is decent only like 2 months out of the year. HATE winter, hate fall, even hate spring. It's too unpredictable, might be cold, rainy, cloudy....we like to be outside, run, bike, picnic, parks, beaches. We've been in FL for 6 months and have done more outdoor activities than an entire year in MN!

Question 3. What do you miss most about minnesota?
Few friends and family and the MUCH better school system. Our son is I. 2nd grade.

Question 4. What do you miss the least?
No doubt about it: the WEATHER!!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:23 AM

13 posts, read 22,043 times
Question 1. Where in Minnesota do you live now?

In a northwest suburb of Minneapolis.

1st Choice: Northern California
- I have a chronic health condition, and the climate would be much healthier for me year-round.
- Temps in the winter that aren't life-threatening. Temps in the summer that are manageable.
- Just a few hours away from ocean, mountains, wine country, and the amenities of metropolitan areas.
- The ability to enjoy the outdoors in relative comfort all year.
- A slower pace of life.

2nd Choice: Southern California
- Again, a better climate for my health.
- A better location for year-round enjoyment of the outdoors.
- An opportunity to move my current job there for an easier transition.
- Better future job opportunities for my entire family.

Question 3. Why do you want to leave Minnesota?

The People:
We moved here over 10 years ago and despite all our attempts, have yet to make anything approaching a lasting friendship with people from this region. Attempts included: social groups, meet-up groups, community volunteering, civic organizations, co-workers, theater, film-making, gaming groups, throwing parties, inviting people to our home, inviting people to go out, PTO, children's friend's parents... the list goes on and on.

If you weren't born and raised here, with very few exceptions, the people here don't care to know you on a personal level. Don't want to include you. Even the relatives I have in the area couldn't be bothered to extend an invitation to us less than half a dozen times in 10 years. For social people like my husband and myself, it has been frustrating and lonely.

The Weather:
There are only a few months out of the year where the weather makes going outdoors enjoyable. It's beautiful for part of the summer, but it's short-lived. Autumn makes a brief appearance before diving into the winter, which can mean snow on the ground from late October - early April. Spring, for homeowners, means sump pits to monitor and yards to clean. We spend several months out of each year running from building to car - car to building, not having the sun on more than face and hands for a few minutes total over the course of several months... that's just plain unhealthy and no way to live.

Question 4. What will you miss most about Minnesota?

- The house that our kids grew up in.
- Our suburb with good next-door neighbors and nearby hiking/biking trails.
- Being a few hours drive from my family in a neighboring state.
- If I keep my current job, seeing some of my co-workers face-to-face. If I have to leave my current job... I'll miss my current job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul