Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 01:28 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
The most recent issue of the Journal of Mississippi History has an article about Natchez "progessives" who wanted to diversify the town's economy in the first two decades of the 20th Century. Mentioned was made in there of how the 1890 constitution made it difficult for out-of-state corporations to do business in Mississippi.

FWIW, here's the Constitution as it was originally written:
Mississippi History Now | The Mississippi Constitution of 1890 as originally adopted
That was a time when the Robber Barons on the East Coast were basically raping the rest of America. I believe that this was the time when Latin American countries began passing laws designed to keep those same Robber Barons from raping their countries. So really, having out-of-state corporations "doing business" in Mississippi was not a good thing. As I recall, those companies ran rough-shod over Louisiana, and it took Huey Long to stop their wholesale pillaging of the state's resources.

West Virginia is a good example of a state devastated by the Robber Barons. The state's people were demonized (sound familiar?) in the press, as murderous savage hillbillies, in order that they could get no sympathy or aid, when the mining and timber companies stripped that state bare. And as East Coast interests were harvesting the resources- displacing and dispossessing the hapless people of those places- the young men (the loss of their family farms leaving them jobless) were harvested as cannon fodder for the filthy war machine.

This song is about Kentucky, but it's the same story. (Just skip the damn ad. It's the only audible version I could find to link to): John Denver Paradise - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,845 times
To the op

hi

maybe you should also list something positive, what you wrote does not sound very inviting for a tourist that is planning a vacation over there, even here in Italy there are places you can visit only if accompanied, but as you know in everything exist a universal duality I mean a positive and a negative part

Old 07-07-2012, 09:37 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
To the op

hi

maybe you should also list something positive, what you wrote does not sound very inviting for a tourist that is planning a vacation over there, even here in Italy there are places you can visit only if accompanied, but as you know in everything exist a universal duality I mean a positive and a negative part

Miticoman,

Sei italiano, si? About a hundred years ago, some Marchegiani migrated to the Mississippi Delta in the northwest part of the state to work on cotton plantations. Although they were poor, many of their descendents became rich farmers. Names like Aguzzi, Rocconi, Pieroni, Fratesi, Rizzo, Cocilova, Giachelli, etc. are found here. There are even a few descendants of Siciliani.
If you come to Mississippi, come in the spring or fall, because the summers are hotter than the ones in Italia!

God bless.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:37 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Miticoman,

Sei italiano, si? About a hundred years ago, some Marchegiani migrated to the Mississippi Delta in the northwest part of the state to work on cotton plantations. Although they were poor, many of their descendents became rich farmers. Names like Aguzzi, Rocconi, Pieroni, Fratesi, Rizzo, Cocilova, Giachelli, etc. are found here. There are even a few descendants of Siciliani.
If you come to Mississippi, come in the spring or fall, because the summers are hotter than the ones in Italia!

God bless.

Hi

certo che lo sono, l'm a bloody Venetian, eeeh Italians are in anywhere, I've been almost all countries over the world and in any new place always an Italian popped out , someone say that we are as the weed, but the truth is that wherever there is an Italian community there is always something great Italian-style, I did the military service in Macerata maybe you know this city.
thanks for your blessing

and keep up the fight

Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 PM

270 posts, read 587,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I lived in Jackson, MS for a year when I was 10/11. It was horrendous! I hated it (along with my family) and we moved back up to WA a year later. Everything seemed so backwards, it was OVERLEY religious and the infrastructure was crumbling to pieces. The rethugs run that poor mess of a state into the ground to the point where it will never get up. The weather was hot and humid which made the summers hell on earth. The bugs were huge like they were on steroids *puke* and the school and education systems were a mess.

I didn't get the "southern hospitality" either. Then again we are a black family so maybe that had something to do with it. Everyone was more hostile to one another and wanted to fight at the most trivial things. Even the children were encouraged to fight other children and were cheered on by their family that would just sit and watch a fight. The only good thing I could say was the southern food, and junk food were plentiful and cheap, which is why MS is the fattest, most unhealthy state in the country.
What a crime to be overly religious. I love the great state of Mississippi. I wouldn't mind calling the great Miss home one day. Well I don't to intend to ever visit a place like Washington since it's part of the liberal hippy anti-God establishment. Feel free to come back one day kind sir

Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
What a crime to be overly religious. I love the great state of Mississippi. I wouldn't mind calling the great Miss home one day. Well I don't to intend to ever visit a place like Washington since it's part of the liberal hippy anti-God establishment. Feel free to come back one day kind sir

I think "Zara Ray" is a woman!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 PM

39 posts, read 124,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
Well I don't to intend to ever visit a place like Washington since it's part of the liberal hippy anti-God establishment.
Spoken like a true stereotypical Mississippian. *sigh* This is the mindset I (and a large portion of the rest of the country) think of when they think of Mississippi. It's sad really.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:19 PM

270 posts, read 587,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT28 View Post
Spoken like a true stereotypical Mississippian. *sigh* This is the mindset I (and a large portion of the rest of the country) think of when they think of Mississippi. It's sad really.
Hey thanks bubba and thanks for coming to support the Mississippi board. I'm not even from Mississippi but I love the state so I had to come say hello to some of the best people on earth. Hello Mississippi via Louisiana but unfortunately presently in Texas. Keep following the scriptures and stand strong for our Messiah. Don't let the lost liberals affect your faith.

Have a blessed day
In Christ,
Kevin

Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 PM

159 posts, read 263,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT28 View Post
it is the liberal hippy anti-god mindset, thats what is promoted, so i dont see the problem in the TRUTH !!!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I've been in the state 9 months, and honestly hate it. This is the worst place I've ever been, and when my tour here is complete I'll eagerly leave. I've lived in Washington state, Hawaii, Florida and Japan. I'll be so grateful to never set foot in the state again. I was raised in a small town and have no issue with the relaxed way of life or missing the "big city" stuff. My complaints:

1. Crime rates that are unbelievable for the area. Mississippi is very rural, yet the small towns have crime rates that rival most cities. While the natives here in Meridian celebrate that the crime rate is not like NYC, they are too ignorant to realize NYC has a massively lower crime rate.

2. I hate welfare junkies and the career unemployed. But that's a way of life around here. Everyone has an excuse, and I really don't care to hear any of them.

3. I'm not a fan of hypocrites, but I meet a ton here here. The state is full of Christians yet they seem to think divorce, single parenting and crime is acceptable, or that abortion is wrong, but unprotected premarital sex is right. I didn't realize the bible had become a choose your own adventure story.

4. Lack of activities. I like biking, scuba, nightlife, hiking, national parks and sightseeing. Biking is possible, but sketchy since the drivers are the worst I've seen. How much Civil War sightseeing can a person do before it's boring?

5. All of the "keeping it real" or "thug life" culture. It's garbage, and it's everywhere.

6. The lack of intelligent people. It isn't so much that the people lack knowledge, I can understand and accept that. But they believe things that are not true, and are dead set it is a fact. There are a lot of people that seem to lack the ability to learn.

7. I sincerely hate paying $720 a month for an apartment just so I don't have to be in a slum. I paid $700 for a place in Hawaii and $680/month for a place in Japan. Both places were better located to work, shopping and fun without having to be surrounded by slums.

8. I enjoy fishing, just wish I could find some better places. Hawaii and Japan had great fishing, but it's saltwater and isn't really fair to compare to freshwater fishing.

9. Are there any non-muddy lakes that allow swimming?

10. I feel that free speech and free thought is severely stifled in this state. Mention the garbage cultures and people cry racism, mention the crime and you get outright denial. Wake up MS, if you want investors to come here you'll need to fix the problems here.

11. The South in general is lacking. MS, AL, LA and GA don't seem to have much to offer. All the cities with populations over 30,000 are so rundown and have crime rates that should make everyone ashamed. There are little areas of niceness, but if someone offers me a steak full of maggots and points to a corner and say "that part is good" I'd still throw the steak out.

For the people that believe the lies (it's low crime and wonderful communities) and have always been in this region I'm sure it's fine. But for the people that have lived in other places with a lot of things to do, low crime and intelligent people MS is pretty horrible.

So please bash away, call me a troll and try to say my comments are all lies. But sleep well knowing that in 2 years you'll be rid of me recognizing how messed up this place really is.

**split off from the other guys thread.
Your assessment is spot on with the exception of #7. I lived in the nicest apartments in Hattiesburg last year for $650 a month. Everything else I agree with 100% and can provide personal examples to support most of your points if anyone doubts any of them to not be true. Lived in MS for 5 years and like everyone else that has left and not looked back, I'm glad I moved on. I may "not be missed", which is the typical reply given to someone who tells it like it is. Those who would say such a thing are missing out on what else life has to offer, making their point rather moot. If living off the system is their cup of tea, they might as well stay put. I feel for the hard working respectable MS residents (who are far and few between) that live there that have to support those to damn lazy to earn their own keep. There's a reason why those who work and support themselves want nothing more than to relocate from MS.

I witnessed first hand someone using an EBT card and then hopping into a Cadillac Escalade with 26" rims. Was not impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi