Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead.lala View Post
But when they "ended segregation", they opened up private Christian (white) schools that many couldn't generally afford to attend (in order to keep the races separate), such as the one where my parents sent me. That school had their very first African American student in 2002-2003 schoolyear.
This is exactly what happened. We lived in Greenville for a couple of years. No white folks sent their kids to public schools. Everyone went private. And we were encouraged by some neighbors not to send our kids to St Josephs because they were "letting the blacks in". Washington School was the alternative. We chose St. Josephs because we value diversity. We didn't want our kids in an all white school. But at the same time, Greenville High School is beyond horrible.

It happened in Greenville. And it's starting to happen in Tupelo. All the white folks are running to Saltillo and Pontotoc. And as soon as the Catholic Church builds a school, it will be over for Tupelo Public Schools.

I hate it. But it's just the way it is.

All of Mississippi isn't like that. We spent several years in Oxford and found it to be very diverse. But it's a college town with a much more educated, affluent, well-traveled population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,776,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugrgrl73 View Post
... I just moved to Washington state this summer and its so funny to me how MS is known for its hospitality but you go shopping anywhere and get treated like crap... But here, it is a whole different world! The people are so nice...
So true! I got so tired of being treated like I was doing something wrong by just shopping! And when I take the time to shop, I'm out to buy. But that didn't seem to matter. I don't care if it was the bitter white divorcees in the 'exclusive shops', the emotionally-damaged mentorees at the Natural Foods Co-op, or the nonwhites working the sales terminals in the big box stores. Attitude, attitude, attitude...

Finally, we just drove to Louisiana to shop, or waited until we flew out of town. Much better (I think Louisianans are more used to dealing with people like us, who are neither 'black' nor 'white'). And, like you say, the Pacific Northwest is MUCH better. (I will say that around Jackson, I always felt comfortable in TJ Max, and we were always treated like royalty at Great Scott/Lady Scott...and at Herrin-Gear Lexus...but that's about it...everywhere else, we were 'garbage', no matter how much we spent)

Always good to see that others have experienced the difference in friendliness.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
......... And it's starting to happen in Tupelo. All the white folks are running to Saltillo and Pontotoc...........
Baloney. Tupelo annexed a large area that contained an large number of black folks, so their kids now go to Tupelo public school. Homes are cheaper in Saltillo, which doesn't even have a town shopping area; probably a lot cheaper in Pontotoc, too. Visit the place and you'll see why.

Comparing Greenville to Tupelo (which you did) is a little silly. The only people who would possibly believe you have never been to both places.

We live in Tupelo. Some people in our neighborhood are black, some white, and some of the nicer homes ($200,000 on average, I guess) are owned by black folks. No one I know is "fleeing".

Old 12-01-2011, 09:16 AM

First, I am originally from North Mississippi. We were in Tupelo for Thanksgiving last week. Most of my family lives in Tupelo.

If you know anything about the state of Mississippi, you know that Greenville used to be THE place to live. Being "from the Delta" was a status symbol. My how things have changed. If it can happen in Greenville, it can happen in Tupelo.

And if you can't see it happening, then you aren't paying attention.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:06 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,247,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead.lala View Post
But when they "ended segregation", they opened up private Christian (white) schools that many couldn't generally afford to attend (in order to keep the races separate), such as the one where my parents sent me. That school had their very first African American student in 2002-2003 schoolyear.
Yep. Unofficial segregation still exists in Mississippi, especially rural areas. My high school is in a town with a 50.5% black population. The school district includes about half a county with a 32.4% black population, so the school itself should have somewhere between 32.4% and 50.5% black, right? Nope, it's 66% black. Why? The school sucks. Bad. It's ranked way down the list, even by MS standards. Anyone who can afford it sends their kids to neighboring "Christian" schools. In that area, the typical black family is generally less wealthy than the typical non-black family(*), so it's mostly non-blacks who to go the private schools. Some go entirely because it's a Christian school, some go because it's a marginally better education, some go because of the fights and other problems in the public schools, but many go because of simple racism.

Note (*): PLEASE don't infer anything not explicit in that statement. I've worked with, under, and above people of all races and nationalities (my current boss is a dark skinned man from India), and in my experience there is NO link between race and intelligence, work ethic, or earning potential. But in general, at least in part because of past injustice and poor education, minorities living in rural areas of the south-east are almost always less wealthy than non-minorities in the same general area.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:28 PM

45 posts, read 109,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
First, I am originally from North Mississippi. We were in Tupelo for Thanksgiving last week. Most of my family lives in Tupelo.

If you know anything about the state of Mississippi, you know that Greenville used to be THE place to live. Being "from the Delta" was a status symbol. My how things have changed. If it can happen in Greenville, it can happen in Tupelo.

And if you can't see it happening, then you aren't paying attention.
Magnolia, I am afraid you are right. Tupelo may not go the way of Greenville, but there are problems. The Tupelo School District is now on Academic Watch, and I think this is because of poor minority performance. This means that more and more resources are going to be shifted towards struggling students and away from better students in order to get off the "watch" list.

The district is now majority black, and indeed there is a tendency for white families to move to different schools when schools reach a "tipping point." North Pontotoc is considered a top school and is 80 percent white. East Union Schools are 93 percent white. Saltillo is 89 percent white. It's not like the Delta where parents have to spend themselves into poverty to go to private school. All people have to do is move 10 miles.

We'll see what happens in a couple of years. Tupelo has a history of having great schools and maybe the district and city will pull through.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn View Post
Magnolia, I am afraid you are right. Tupelo may not go the way of Greenville, but there are problems. The Tupelo School District is now on Academic Watch, and I think this is because of poor minority performance. This means that more and more resources are going to be shifted towards struggling students and away from better students in order to get off the "watch" list.

The district is now majority black, and indeed there is a tendency for white families to move to different schools when schools reach a "tipping point." North Pontotoc is considered a top school and is 80 percent white. East Union Schools are 93 percent white. Saltillo is 89 percent white. It's not like the Delta where parents have to spend themselves into poverty to go to private school. All people have to do is move 10 miles.

We'll see what happens in a couple of years. Tupelo has a history of having great schools and maybe the district and city will pull through.

I honestly hope so. But the fact that Tupelo High School is on Academic Watch while Saltillo High School received the Blue Ribbon Award this year is telling.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:02 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Yep. Unofficial segregation still exists in Mississippi, especially rural areas. My high school is in a town with a 50.5% black population. The school district includes about half a county with a 32.4% black population, so the school itself should have somewhere between 32.4% and 50.5% black, right? Nope, it's 66% black. Why? The school sucks. Bad. It's ranked way down the list, even by MS standards. Anyone who can afford it sends their kids to neighboring "Christian" schools. In that area, the typical black family is generally less wealthy than the typical non-black family(*), so it's mostly non-blacks who to go the private schools. Some go entirely because it's a Christian school, some go because it's a marginally better education, some go because of the fights and other problems in the public schools, but many go because of simple racism.

Note (*): PLEASE don't infer anything not explicit in that statement. I've worked with, under, and above people of all races and nationalities (my current boss is a dark skinned man from India), and in my experience there is NO link between race and intelligence, work ethic, or earning potential. But in general, at least in part because of past injustice and poor education, minorities living in rural areas of the south-east are almost always less wealthy than non-minorities in the same general area.
I have a friend who was born and raised in Mississippi. She left and hasn't lived there since. According to her, she says that Mississippi is very far behind on many things, including race relations.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlVanDorn View Post
....The district is now majority black, and indeed there is a tendency for white families to move to different schools when schools reach a "tipping point." North Pontotoc is considered a top school and is 80 percent white. East Union Schools are 93 percent white. Saltillo is 89 percent white. It's not like the Delta where parents have to spend themselves into poverty to go to private school. All people have to do is move 10 miles.

Population of Tupelo, 2010: 33,789 - an increase of about 200 since 2000.
Population of Saltillo, 2010: 4329 - an increase of about 2000 since 2000.

New Housing Permits Tupelo, 2011: 55
New Housing Permits Saltillo, 2011: 33

You can see, it would be a bit of a stretch to say Tupelo is engaged in a white flight to Saltillo, and it would be easy to understand why Saltillo would feed off the economy of the much larger Tupelo and collect the best students.

But clearly, Tupelo has been stagnant in growth for the past 10 years. Actually, more than that. Maybe Tupelo will be able to turn it around, maybe not. As a resident of Tupelo, I am hopeful.

If you are a resident of Tupelo then you must be somewhat aware of the absolute dog-fight they had/are having over school leadership. Who knows? Maybe they'll get it right.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Population of Tupelo, 2010: 33,789 - an increase of about 200 since 2000.
Population of Saltillo, 2010: 4329 - an increase of about 2000 since 2000.

New Housing Permits Tupelo, 2011: 55
New Housing Permits Saltillo, 2011: 33

You can see, it would be a bit of a stretch to say Tupelo is engaged in a white flight to Saltillo, and it would be easy to understand why Saltillo would feed off the economy of the much larger Tupelo and collect the best students.

But clearly, Tupelo has been stagnant in growth for the past 10 years. Actually, more than that. Maybe Tupelo will be able to turn it around, maybe not. As a resident of Tupelo, I am hopeful.

If you are a resident of Tupelo then you must be somewhat aware of the absolute dog-fight they had/are having over school leadership. Who knows? Maybe they'll get it right.
I don't live in Tupelo. What kind of fight is going on in the school leadership?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi