Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 10:20 PM

716 posts, read 1,238,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Please post the name of the app that allows you to know what color other posters are.....
I'm just talking about in general. It seems like pretty much everyone who is anti-south or didn't like living in the south is white. If white people supposedly run everything in the south then how come whites hate it and blacks enjoy it more than blacks in other areas enjoy the areas they are in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:30 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
I'm just talking about in general. It seems like pretty much everyone who is anti-south or didn't like living in the south is white. If white people supposedly run everything in the south then how come whites hate it and blacks enjoy it more than blacks in other areas enjoy the areas they are in?
How do you know that blacks enjoy it better down here while they don't up north or out west?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 12,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead.lala View Post
But when they "ended segregation", they opened up private Christian (white) schools that many couldn't generally afford to attend (in order to keep the races separate), such as the one where my parents sent me. That school had their very first African American student in 2002-2003 schoolyear.

Again, what a crock! Where do you get your information? There are private schools all across the nation and they started up north way before they ever had them in the South. The majority of Mississippi's 82 counties do not have any private schools. Also, the majority of private schools in Mississippi are church affiliated and open to al people. Yes, price may be a problem to enroll in some of them but everyone must pay the same price. Scholarships are given out to athletes and academic scholars. If you really want to speak about segregation that still exist today, you need to speak about economic segregation, it is everywhere and is color blind except for one color....GREEN!!!!!

By the way, did you even here of the race riots over bussing in Boston when they wee attempting to integrate their schools? That was several years after Mississippi and the rest of the South had integrated their schools!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM

171 posts, read 218,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Please post the name of the app that allows you to know what color other posters are.....
lol

Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM

171 posts, read 218,935 times
Only problem I have with Mississippi is that they neither have the Castle Doctrine, or Stand Your Ground laws.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM

114 posts, read 495,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How do you know that blacks enjoy it better down here while they don't up north or out west?
welfare.

I got pushed up here after Katrina, and I have not liked it up here since, I been wanting out with no real way to get out.

Most people that live up here build homes and all is the same bunch who went down south into Louisiana and made a fortune on the water, their is just no jobs in Mississippi, the way the hiring process is and the people they hire, you just wonder why try?

Their was one place I was applying a job for, probably sent in about 10 job apps within a years time with no contact from them, yet every time I go into the store, you see a new person there, then I found out a few weeks ago one of the people they hired was someone who has a long history of walking away from every job he had, including being a truck driver, hes been one of the ones around that can seem to quit and jump to any job he wants immediately.

Make sense? I seen so much here for shenanigans, I just dont like it.

Ive almost gone into a complete mindset everyone around me is stupid, that is after having to put up with what I have put up with since Katrina.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,091,373 times
I was looking at a graph the other day about places that have the biggest disparities among income levels. And MS seemed to be one with a big difference. In other words, a gap with the upper economic group and the lower economic group that is pretty wide.

That may answer why some of us find Ms a great place to live and othes not so much. If you are searching for a good job, affordable housing, and find yourselves in the company of narrow-minded people with little experience outside of rural Ms--you are in a living hell. However, if you are well-educated, have a good job, live in an upscale area or more progressive community, you can be doing fine and be pretty much immune to simpletons, dirt roads, crime, and a life of tedium. So there are different Ms experiences depending where you fall on the socio-economic ladder and that is just a fact.

Age is another variable. Young people seeking their fortune and wanting to broaden their perspectives need to get a move on out of here. Come back when you have the means to access the best of Ms.

I understand the original OP Mr. Randy--but it is time to give it a rest. You will get out soon enough and leave us in your dust. Meanwhile, those of us left behind in this "hinterland" need to keep working to make it a better place for jobs, opportunities and amenities for young people, and a place that banks on its attributes and improves its negatives. All speed ahead!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM

114 posts, read 495,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I was looking at a graph the other day about places that have the biggest disparities among income levels. And MS seemed to be one with a big difference. In other words, a gap with the upper economic group and the lower economic group that is pretty wide.

That may answer why some of us find Ms a great place to live and othes not so much. If you are searching for a good job, affordable housing, and find yourselves in the company of narrow-minded people with little experience outside of rural Ms--you are in a living hell. However, if you are well-educated, have a good job, live in an upscale area or more progressive community, you can be doing fine and be pretty much immune to simpletons, dirt roads, crime, and a life of tedium. So there are different Ms experiences depending where you fall on the socio-economic ladder and that is just a fact.

Age is another variable. Young people seeking their fortune and wanting to broaden their perspectives need to get a move on out of here. Come back when you have the means to access the best of Ms.

I understand the original OP Mr. Randy--but it is time to give it a rest. You will get out soon enough and leave us in your dust. Meanwhile, those of us left behind in this "hinterland" need to keep working to make it a better place for jobs, opportunities and amenities for young people, and a place that banks on its attributes and improves its negatives. All speed ahead!
I agree here, I was hired only twice since being up here in Katrina, I kind of get the idea when businesses do hire, they hire the incompetent ones.

I was hired by Wal-Mart last year for a temporary job, talk about some real idiots in this store, most of this problem was management and supervisors to, 1 shift do something, the next shift have to correct problems of the previous shift, only to find out the problem that was corrected was never wrong to start with. I felt my IQ drop being around most of those people. But being Wal-Mart, its no surprise as they are intent on running their businesses like Chinese labor shops which is why they avoid unions.

I know the job I had 2 years ago though was at least tolerable, smart people, 2-3 of the people hired was just out of highschool, they wasnt the best at working, but I think they did better then what I see alot of these businesses hire nowadays.

I assume what you mean by upper economic group and lower economic group being such a big gap that you mean the upper is bringing in more money, the lower aint bringing much anything in am I right? This is written out in my topic why I think Mississippi is poor, in which the upper economic brings in more money because their is more than 1 person living in the household bringing in more money, and the lower economic group suffers from it since it takes 1-2 less jobs from them.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 PM

6 posts, read 11,790 times
Randy, I have the same issues that you have. All States have the same problems, so some issues are greater than others. Instead of insulting everyone, why not try and help the issues. I hate you haven't met better people than what you have. I travel with work and call Mississippi home. I'm a 34yr old female that doesn't receive any assistance and fortunately I don't need it. I work for what I have and I don't even get half of what I pay in back. New York, Illinois, Colorado, and any other State has there lines of people to. Some time has gone by since you posted this and I hope things have gotten better for you, while you are stuck here. Growing up I hated living where I do, just nothing to do. As I got older I realized I had access to several things to do. Life is what you make of it and people can be the same. If you don't like something, maybe you can find a way to make it better. I work as an Auditor and drive a company car all expenses paid (gas, hotels, meals), so not everyone from Mississippi is lazy and dumb. Maybe if you focus on some positives, instead of all the negatives your stay may get a little better. And no you probably won't like this State any better or will ever want to come back, but in the end maybe you can find a way to at least deal with it. Best of luck to you. Also, thank you for your service to this country. My father was military and chose to live in Mississippi when he had retired in 1972.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 PM

6 posts, read 11,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
The popular argument on City Data is that just because other places do it doesn't make it right... That is absolutely true, however, it is hypocritical to chastize Mississippi and pretend Mississippi is exclusive to this behavior.

You must also realize that just because it happened in a particular place doesn't mean all people in that place condone it.

Face the facts, this entire country is hung up on race, people are judged by race, and most likely always will be unless people change drastically.
jhadorn, you are so right about this country and race. It most countries they don't separate themselves from everyone else. Meaning if you are French you are French regardless of your skin tone. Unfortunatly, the South catches all the race issues. I've spent allot of time in Chicago and even worked there and had to deal with what I call quiet racism. In other words smile in your face and whisper behind your back. If I said hi to someone, something would be said and I would hear about it later. So, its not just the South its everywhere in this country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi