Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM

356 posts, read 1,346,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
true indeed about the taxes...but crime is a toss up.
Jackson is great city to live in, you just have to know "where" to live so you can enjoy it. the problem is, Jackson has a bunch of "rough pockets" thorughout so it appears that the entire city is crime riddled, which to an outsider I can understand the concern. you can work just about anywhere, BUT...

The absolute best areas to live in are:

Fondren area
Meadowbrook/Chastain area
Millsaps/Belhaven area
Eastover (East Jackson)
Highland village area
McDowell Road area
Byram area (south)
South Jackson (some areas)
West Jackson (some areas)
Woodhaven (Northside)
Woodlea (Northside)
Dinsmor (Northside)

Areas to avoid:

Georgetown/Maple Street area (West- Midtown area)
Lynch and Ellis Ave (West Jackson)
Brown Bottom
Farish Street (Downtown - getting better)
Doodyville (Downtown-mid town)
Virden Addition (North)
Washington Addition (North)
Bailey Ave (North)
Presidential Hills (Northwest)
White Rock area (Northwest)
MLK area (Mid town)
Lower Medgar Evers/Woodrow Wilson area (Midtown)
Gallatin Street (midtown)

Pearl is KKK country. AND it's a dry county. very racist Police force. you WILL get a ticket for the lightest offense ...NO Warnings, ever.

the best surrounding areas to live are Madison, Brandon, Byram, Clinton, Raymond, and Flowood...Madison being the best.
I guess you must have gotten a ticket in Pearl. I live there and I don't consider it KKK country or anymore racist than other areas. It may have had that reputation years ago, but it has changed a lot. I like that the police department is so vigilent. I feel very safe here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM

809 posts, read 1,862,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbee View Post
I guess you must have gotten a ticket in Pearl. I live there and I don't consider it KKK country or anymore racist than other areas. It may have had that reputation years ago, but it has changed a lot. I like that the police department is so vigilent. I feel very safe here.
I went to jail there for busted taillight and beer breath(no bottles in the car mind you). got harrassed all the way to my cell. when I got my car back it was badly key-scratched and it reaked of pee pee because somebody took liberty to pee on the driver's door

Old 12-01-2009, 03:11 PM

17 posts, read 44,473 times
Wow, thank you all. This is a wealth of just the kind of information I was looking for..so thorough that I actually printed it out to take with me to Jackson when I go again next weekend! It is greatly appreciated. Do any of you, offhand, know of any weight loss facilities in the Jackson area? I researched and found a couple but they charge a lot. Also, do you ever see newspaper ads for any? Thanks again!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianamarie View Post
Wow, thank you all. This is a wealth of just the kind of information I was looking for..so thorough that I actually printed it out to take with me to Jackson when I go again next weekend! It is greatly appreciated. Do any of you, offhand, know of any weight loss facilities in the Jackson area? I researched and found a couple but they charge a lot. Also, do you ever see newspaper ads for any? Thanks again!
I do not know of any off the top of my head. You may want to check with the Jackson Free Press to see if anyone runs ads with them. You can pick up the JFP every wednesday at newstands throughout the city.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:10 PM

I actually have one from my visit last weekend. I take it most people read that. It didn't seem like there was much to the local newspaper (don't remember the name of it).

Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,865 times
Quote:
I actually have one from my visit last weekend. I take it most people read that. It didn't seem like there was much to the local newspaper (don't remember the name of it).
The Clarion-Liar... I mean the Clarion-Ledger is the local paper ownded by Ganette. They have laid off a lot of employees and the paper has suffered from it, decreasing in size almost every week. I read their headlines online but that's about it. The JFP is free and reaches as far out as Canton, so quite a few people read it every week. They also tend to cover the stories that others will not because of political correctness and the such.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
It's 50/50. both papers have their slants and niche readers but neither covers all the news. I recall one paper used to chase the Mayor around town and the other paper followed the Mayor around town and that was considered 'top news' in Jackson for long time...lol.. go figure. so we mainly use them for the classifieds and where to eat but not much else. the News force in Jackson is sorely lacking along with a lot of things, but it's still a great place to live despite it's shortcomings.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:02 PM

Well I certainly felt right at home there, and I think it's a great place. I was even out alone at night and didn't feel like I was in a "dangerous place", although I did see a whole lot of police, just cruising around. I wonder how I'd advertise if no one really reads the papers. I'd have a website though. I'll have to think on that one.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:03 PM

I would definitley advertise in the JFP

Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I would definitley advertise in the JFP
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi