Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:33 PM

639 posts, read 767,355 times

Advertisements

St Louis has that "Gone With the Wind" feeling about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 06:39 PM

10,021 posts, read 8,644,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post

Especially in 1896 and 1927 when it really was gone with the wind courtesy of those huge tornadoes.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:54 PM

15 posts, read 18,971 times
Quote:
It's the look of the buildings, the climate, geographical location and gracious attitude that makes it feel like one of the southern river towns, Louisville, Natchez, New Orleans, etc.
Yup, you nailed it. I wasn't talking about accents, but the "feel" and "sense" of how I view St. Louis. It really does have that Southern river town vibe. I love that oldness and history.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:19 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
It's the look of the buildings, the climate, geographical location and gracious attitude that makes it feel like one of the southern river towns, Louisville, Natchez, New Orleans, etc.
If you're referring to some of the more french inspired architecture St. Louis can def. give off a sort of New Orleans vibe in parts, but the overall look of the city isn't Southern at all to me. I have family in the South that I use to visit often, none of them would ever consider St. Louis to be Southern and I can clearly see why it's not.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:54 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,180 times
Quote:
lmao wow. You forgot to change the font to specify sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
If you're referring to some of the more french inspired architecture St. Louis can def. give off a sort of New Orleans vibe in parts, but the overall look of the city isn't Southern at all to me. I have family in the South that I use to visit often, none of them would ever consider St. Louis to be Southern and I can clearly see why it's not.
Nope it sure isn't. I don't understand how anyone can think that it is either.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:50 PM

St Louis is probably the northern most southern city. It does have that Gone With The Wind Feeling, you can see it in the buildings and people, that gracious life of old. It also has that "Delta" feeling being a flat city on the river, kind of like Memphis. St Louis is certainly not a Northern City like Minneapolis, not a Great Lakes City like Chicago, Detroit, etc, and not a midwest city like KC or Omaha.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
lmao wow. You forgot to change the font to specify sarcasm.

Nope it sure isn't. I don't understand how anyone can think that it is either.
and no, it's not sarcasm. There's nothing wrong with St Louis being considered or identified as Southern.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
I think St Louis feels most southern, Springfield feels Ozarkian, whatever that is, Kansas City feels midwestern.
St. Louis is 100% midwestern rust belt river city.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
St. Louis is 100% midwestern rust belt river city.
I would say that Indianapolis feels and looks more Midwestern than St Louis. St Louis looks and feels like a large Memphis.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:27 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
St Louis is probably the northern most southern city. It does have that Gone With The Wind Feeling, you can see it in the buildings and people, that gracious life of old. It also has that "Delta" feeling being a flat city on the river, kind of like Memphis. St Louis is certainly not a Northern City like Minneapolis, not a Great Lakes City like Chicago, Detroit, etc, and not a midwest city like KC or Omaha.
Can you explain more what you mean because I disagree 100% (as do most...) St. Louis is an old Midwestern river city through and through, and after that I'd say the look of the city has more of an Eastern vibe to it than Southern. It is unique in its own right, but cities I'd pair it up to most would be Cincy, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore.

What is the "Gone With The Wind Feeling" btw???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri