Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:04 AM

51 posts, read 88,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I'll only do the ones I've been to, but here goes. Most Southern to least Southern:
Sikeston (too Southern to function)
That just made me laugh. I am not familiar with all the cities on that list of ratings, but I am sure you are right about that topping the list. I lived in the area briefly a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,885 times
I personally think St. Louis is one if the most northern feeling/leaning areas in the whole state of Missouri. Very heavily catholic and German. Northern accents. Just because it is on the Mississippi River doesn't qualify it as a southern city!!

Old 09-10-2014, 12:40 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I personally think St. Louis is one if the most northern feeling/leaning areas in the whole state of Missouri. Very heavily catholic and German. Northern accents. Just because it is on the Mississippi River doesn't qualify it as a southern city!!
That's because it unquestionably is really...

Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM

639 posts, read 767,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
New Orleans=French/Catholic-Northern City then? No.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Can you explain more what you mean because I disagree 100% (as do most...) St. Louis is an old Midwestern river city through and through, and after that I'd say the look of the city has more of an Eastern vibe to it than Southern. It is unique in its own right, but cities I'd pair it up to most would be Cincy, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore.

What is the "Gone With The Wind Feeling" btw???
What makes it Eastern feel? Gone With the Wind Feel is the history of slavery of St Louis, the sub tropic humid climate, the homes that look like they came off a plantation, the brick in its buildings like Atlanta.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
St. Louis is 100% midwestern rust belt river city.
the rust belt cities are the Great Lake cities.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 PM

No comparison to Baltimore a East Coast city on a bay opening into the ocean, neither to Pittsburgh a hill/mountain city with no flatness to it, Cincy and KC are more comparable as river and hilly cities. St Louis is a cross between Memphis, Louisville and New Orleans.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,942 times
I'm not really getting this "the architecture in St. Louis feels Southern" thing. Can someone explain? St. Louis is mostly row houses (in the older parts) and two- and four-family flats, which you don't see hardly at all in the South. Even the neighborhoods with mostly single-families are a lot more tightly packed than in typical Southern cities. I guess what I'm getting at is that the population density and general layout of the city don't feel Southern at all to me, especially compared to Memphis and Nashville.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,885 times
St Louis isn't southern at all. I visited there one month ago. No sweet tea. Northern accents. The architecture and overall culture is midwestern. It is a sharp contrast to areas of southern Missouri, that's for sure.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:47 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
What makes it Eastern feel? Gone With the Wind Feel is the history of slavery of St Louis, the sub tropic humid climate, the homes that look like they came off a plantation, the brick in its buildings like Atlanta.
Your slavery argument for St. Louis makes absolutely zero sense for this thread: Missouri was a slave state. It is considered humid continental humid sub tropical transition zone. You have apparently never seen a plantation home as a typical St. Louis home looks absolutely nothing like one, seriously, what??? Atlanta and St. Louis also look absolutely nothing like each other... Are you even talking about the cities, or are you just thinking of suburbs/surrounding areas?

Quote:
the rust belt cities are the Great Lake cities.
Once again you are incorrect. Rust Belt is not a geographically defined term (like Great Lakes, Great Plains, Midwest, etc.) it is based around industry. St. Louis is included, Cincy is included, large parts of the NE are included, etc.

Quote:
No comparison to Baltimore a East Coast city on a bay opening into the ocean, neither to Pittsburgh a hill/mountain city with no flatness to it, Cincy and KC are more comparable as river and hilly cities. St Louis is a cross between Memphis, Louisville and New Orleans.
Tell me what is an East Coast city to you, also a Southern City, and a Midwestern city please. I'm not going to go any further until you establish this because besides stating things that are false you are just stating the most simple/surface level observations that are making me seriously question what you know about any of these places. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
I'm not really getting this "the architecture in St. Louis feels Southern" thing. Can someone explain? St. Louis is mostly row houses (in the older parts) and two- and four-family flats, which you don't see hardly at all in the South. Even the neighborhoods with mostly single-families are a lot more tightly packed than in typical Southern cities. I guess what I'm getting at is that the population density and general layout of the city don't feel Southern at all to me, especially compared to Memphis and Nashville.
Exactly, it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri