Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
St Louis isn't southern at all. I visited there one month ago. No sweet tea. Northern accents. The architecture and overall culture is midwestern. It is a sharp contrast to areas of southern Missouri, that's for sure.
St. Louis climate, however, is southern IMO. It is exactly the same as Louisville if not warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 09:24 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
St. Louis climate, however, is southern IMO. It is exactly the same as Louisville if not warmer.
Relative to Madison... ok... sure. Relative the the South in general? Not so much...

Old 09-12-2014, 05:51 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Relative to Madison... ok... sure. Relative the the South in general? Not so much...
St. Louis is at the periphery of the Midwest and Madison is closer to the core of the Midwest so I will disagree somewhat with your assertion there. I have a background in climatology so I am certain that St. Louis has the mildest climate in the Midwest and is comparable to those found in the northern reaches of the South like Louisville and Lexington.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
St. Louis is at the periphery of the Midwest and Madison is closer to the core of the Midwest so I will disagree somewhat with your assertion there. I have a background in climatology so I am certain that St. Louis has the mildest climate in the Midwest and is comparable to those found in the northern reaches of the South like Louisville and Lexington.
Well you don't really seem to be disagreeing with me that much though. I'm just saying the climate, compared to the South in general is not southern. It being similar to the northern most southern cities makes sense as it's a very southern Midwestern city. My relatives in the South would come up to St. Louis to see snow and experience the cold. I assume when you say mild you're just saying it has a milder winter than most of the Midwest? Because the climate kind of goes fairly extreme in both directions (I have family in Wisconsin as well btw, St. Louis's climate swings always felt more extreme to me).

Similar weather to the most northern southern cities does have pretty little weight in the thread as a whole though as it doesn't change the fact that the city of St. Louis has very little that is southern, much less the ridiculous claim that it is "the most southern" city in Missouri...

Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,885 times
Anyone care to venture back to the original question and compile a list?

Old 10-16-2014, 06:34 PM

639 posts, read 767,355 times
There's only two cities in Missouri. St Louis is more Southern than KC for sure. The Southern line for Missouri probably follows south of the Missouri River, St Louis-South, until about Columbia then it starts dropping rapidly towards Joplin. The SE part of Missouri is most Southern. Springfield/Joplin/Branson/SW MO is Ozarks, Southern yet a a different animal. KC Metro and MO North of the MO River from Columbia West is 100 % Midwest territory.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
There's only two cities in Missouri. St Louis is more Southern than KC for sure. The Southern line for Missouri probably follows south of the Missouri River, St Louis-South, until about Columbia then it starts dropping rapidly towards Joplin. The SE part of Missouri is most Southern. Springfield/Joplin/Branson/SW MO is Ozarks, Southern yet a a different animal. KC Metro and MO North of the MO River from Columbia West is 100 % Midwest territory.
You're dedicated to this strange cause, I'll give you that much...

Old 10-18-2014, 10:53 AM

89 posts, read 128,683 times
Quote:
St Louis does have a bit of southern feel to it, comparable to Louisville KY. Not sure if it's the people or attitude or just plain look of the city.
LOL I've seen your posts. St. Louis is nothing like Louisville or any other Southern cities. Purely Midwest.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
St. Louis is culturally, demographically, and linguistically not Southern. And Kansas City historically has a history of being much more Southern than STL ever was. The Southern line for Missouri extends from Cape Girardeau to Springfield to Joplin. The transition zone begins below St. Louis, Jeff City, and Kansas City. Get your facts straight. You wouldn't know Southern if it smacked you in the face.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
The northern reaches of the South are climatalogically more like the Midwest than the South though. That's the problem with your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri