Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
dana/ufc is going to get something, but they are not promoting this. mcgregor productions along with mayweather productions and showtime are. conor is going to get more money than a purse and PPV buys simply for being the production company. hes already currently getting paid in sponsorship, advertising etc.
The UFC has to be getting a huge pay day or this fight would never happen. McConor is under contract with them. The UFC are way too savy not to be getting points and piece of everything, promoting or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 12:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's a difference between punching someone with a 4 oz. glove and a 8-12 oz. glove. It's not only about the amount of cushion, but also the fact that it's easier for a smaller glove to slip through your opponent's guard.

Then there's the fact Mayweather doesn't have to worry about kicks. The only way to make this remotely compelling would be to at least allow McGregor to kick below the waist. I could see him conceivably landing a big punch in that case. But if FM only has to concern himself with McGregor's upper body, then CM literally has no chance since the most elite fighters in the sport of boxing can rarely land a glove on Mayweather, little less a guy who has never boxed.

Hard one to predict for sure, its just so unconventional. If there were kicks involved Conor would be a heavy favorite.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:37 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
McGregor has a shot if he can use his reach and power to keep Floyd off of him. I can see a scenario where Conor wins.

I can too, a lucky punch.

Conor would destroy Mayweather in an MMA fight. Not being able to wrestle or kick and fighting with all boxing rules (and gloves) makes this a mismatch in Mayweather's favor.

After this farce is over, I want a rematch as a MMA fight. That'll shut down all the bravado we're going to have to endure from Mayweather after this first fight is over. Come on Mayweather, rematch or are you a chicken $hit.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:15 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Hard one to predict for sure, its just so unconventional. If there were kicks involved Conor would be a heavy favorite.
It's not hard to predict at all. MMA fighters are not boxers. "Striking" in MMA is not boxing. Boxers only use their hands and thus spend a lifetime improving economy of motion and fast twitch muscles. Making the transition from MMA to boxing, or vice versa, is about the same as making the transition from squash to the tennis court.

Conor has poor footwork for a boxer, which only make sense because he's not a boxer. He hops around and squares up too often and sometimes uses long strides to get around the ring, which is understandable if someone is lunging towards your legs, but it's not very effective in a boxing ring. Punches need to be short, crisp and accurate unlike in MMA fights where the distraction of a kick or takedown makes the KO by haymaker much more likely.

If there were kicks below the waist and no grappling, it would definitely be more interesting. I wouldn't buy it, but I'd certainly be closer to buying it. Having Conor box is flat out stupid. I'd rather see Usain Bolt try to beat Michael Phelps in the butterfly.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:24 PM

Boxing speed isn't all about reflexes. Speed is also a product of many years of reducing wasted movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DzQThE5We8

A vet like Sr. is going to pick up on any tells you have. This is why a 15-year old kid can't hit his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSRXr7J3TW8

Old 08-17-2017, 04:27 PM

If you do this every day from age 9 to 18 your hands get pretty fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOa-y8hLbWo

Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not hard to predict at all. MMA fighters are not boxers. "Striking" in MMA is not boxing. Boxers only use their hands and thus spend a lifetime improving economy of motion and fast twitch muscles. Making the transition from MMA to boxing, or vice versa, is about the same as making the transition from squash to the tennis court.

Conor has poor footwork for a boxer, which only make sense because he's not a boxer. He hops around and squares up too often and sometimes uses long strides to get around the ring, which is understandable if someone is lunging towards your legs, but it's not very effective in a boxing ring. Punches need to be short, crisp and accurate unlike in MMA fights where the distraction of a kick or takedown makes the KO by haymaker much more likely.

If there were kicks below the waist and no grappling, it would definitely be more interesting. I wouldn't buy it, but I'd certainly be closer to buying it. Having Conor box is flat out stupid. I'd rather see Usain Bolt try to beat Michael Phelps in the butterfly.

Conor is more of a boxer than Bolt is a smimmer, I can tell you that much! Conor has had a lot of boxing training, but I agree he's not orthodox. The question still remains if Floyd can actually hurt him and avoid getting tagged.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
The question still remains if Floyd can actually hurt him and avoid getting tagged.
The answer to that question is YES. There's a reason why people just can't walk through Mayweather's punches and walk him down. Just ask Canelo. People who say things like "Just walk through his punches and cream him" probably say equally dumb things like "Messi is a shrimp...just push him over and take the ball." Or "just hit the ball to Federer's backhand since it's his weakness." As if those "genius" ideas never occurred to the people who've devoted their lives to these sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo9-Uf9AI4U

You're not going to beat Mayweather by trying to bully him. You are not going to stop Messi by trying to rough him up. You are not going to beat Federer by just hitting to his backhand. People have been employing those strategies against these guys since they were kids.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 PM

All Conor gotta do is punch him in da face.

https://giphy.com/gifs/miguel-cotto-...-gTxoeHb2R0g5W

https://media.giphy.com/media/9SwXAFY2n1MaI/giphy.gif

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/imported_ass...roughhouse.gif

Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 PM

Conor is longer than those chumps! Plus those fights were 15 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)