Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:45 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times

Advertisements

Alright, time to actually defend a belt for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 10:08 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Alright, time to actually defend a belt for once.

You're right, and it should be Mayweather in a rematch with McGregor using straight MMA rules.

Mayweather would be lucky to make it through 2 rounds. All the boxing defense in the world won't help him from getting taken down and ground pounded or beaten with submission.

After the rematch, permanently put to rest these type of farces.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
You're right, and it should be Mayweather in a rematch with McGregor using straight MMA rules.

Mayweather would be lucky to make it through 2 rounds. All the boxing defense in the world won't help him from getting taken down and ground pounded or beaten with submission.

I don't remember Mayweather ever calling out McGregor for an MMA match. All I heard was McGregor calling out Mayweather for a boxing match. Mayweather is only a boxer. He never claimed to be an MMA fighter. McGregor claimed he would out box Mayweather. He got a huge payday for this. He was smart setting in motion the plan to get a huge payday he would never get in the UFC.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:43 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Quote:

The thing is, why would a 40 year old Mayweather put himself in that position? Although, clearly McGregor's power is severely overrated. If Mayweather punches harder in the boxing ring than McGregor, what do you think it will be like with 4 oz gloves?

The thing is, you gotta learn some ground game, but to be honest with you most athletes have no intention of wrestling. Not just because of the man on man action, but also because it's too easy to get injured. You can easily tear your knees, elbows, neck, and back up, and you'll be just a fraction of what you were before.

It's not worth it.

Boxing is the better combat sport if it just comes down to wills because you can't hide in a boxing ring. You can't "lay and pray." You can't even run, as McGregor showed.

You have to bring your balls with you. The risk of MMA is you can bring your balls, but you still might get a serious injury. McGregor should know. He tore his ACL wrestling. Same with Jon Jones, tore his ACL wrestling.

That's a serious injury. You're never going to get top athletes in MMA, unless they start paying NFL money and even then, combat sports are mostly fringe sports.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
The thing is, why would a 40 year old Mayweather put himself in that position? Although, clearly McGregor's power is severely overrated. If Mayweather punches harder in the boxing ring than McGregor, what do you think it will be like with 4 oz gloves?

The thing is, you gotta learn some ground game, but to be honest with you most athletes have no intention of wrestling. Not just because of the man on man action, but also because it's too easy to get injured. You can easily tear your knees, elbows, neck, and back up, and you'll be just a fraction of what you were before.

It's not worth it.

Boxing is the better combat sport if it just comes down to wills because you can't hide in a boxing ring. You can't "lay and pray." You can't even run, as McGregor showed.

You have to bring your balls with you. The risk of MMA is you can bring your balls, but you still might get a serious injury. McGregor should know. He tore his ACL wrestling. Same with Jon Jones, tore his ACL wrestling.

That's a serious injury. You're never going to get top athletes in MMA, unless they start paying NFL money and even then, combat sports are mostly fringe sports.
spoken like someone who has absolutely ZERO experience or idea about what goes into bjj, wrestling, or mma in general.

you cant just "learn some ground game"
the transition from a grappling sport to a striking sport is FAR easier than the other way around.
a blue belt in bjj will destroy a boxer with ease.

a boxers power comes from his legs and hips, once he is on the ground, he loses all of his power (which has been shown repeatedly in more than just the UFC. )

the short term injury MAY be more common, but the repeated blows to the head, a standing 8 count, etc are far far more damaging in the long term than ANY injury in mma.

deaths in the ring, or due to the ring are well documented in boxing, there are a handful of mma fighters who have died in the cage or due to the mma combat. a local houston promotion had one die several years ago, but due to hitting his head on a metal cage post not properly covered.
a fighter died in russia after doctors told him not to fight, heart condition.
almost every other death mma related have come due to weight cut complications.

boxing is clearly more dangers on the athletes body than mma.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:34 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
spoken like someone who has absolutely ZERO experience or idea about what goes into bjj, wrestling, or mma in general.

the transition from a grappling sport to a striking sport is FAR easier than the other way around.

a boxers power comes from his legs and hips, once he is on the ground, he loses all of his power (which has been shown repeatedly in more than just the UFC. )

the short term injury MAY be more common, but the repeated blows to the head, a standing 8 count, etc are far far more damaging in the long term than ANY injury in mma.

deaths in the ring, or due to the ring are well documented in boxing, there are a handful of mma fighters who have died in the cage or due to the mma combat. a local houston promotion had one die several years ago, but due to hitting his head on a metal cage post not properly covered.
a fighter died in russia after doctors told him not to fight, heart condition.
almost every other death mma related have come due to weight cut complications.

boxing is clearly more dangers on the athletes body than mma.
See, I'm personally swayed away from bjj and wrestling because I just don't want to risk injury. I figure if guys like Jon Jones are tearing their ACL in practice, it just can't be good for you.

Honestly, I would like to learn it, but if you tell me the truth, you're saying that injuries are extremely prevalent?

I would like to learn it, but not at the cost of my elbows, back, neck, hips, and knees.

I respect MMA and jujitsu, despite my obvious low blow on the other post, which was unnecessary, so I'm actually interested. I mean, how much do you need to learn anyway?

Like for me, I would prefer to keep it on my feet and deal with things with them first, and my hands only if I have to. Wrestling is my last choice, but how fast can you learn defense? Forget about offense, but defense?

The way I look at, hands are the quickest way to end the fight, but you have to be ready for anything, so I actually am interested in how you don't get injured because I know you've been talking about this for a while now.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:13 AM

96 posts, read 78,089 times
Quote:

I don't see what point people are trying to make by saying this. Of course Mayweather would lose, he himself has never claimed that he's good at MMA. The thing is that McGregor called out Mayweather, said he was going to knock him out early, and then "take over boxing". In the end the result was as predictable as they come.

What's McGregor's next big idea? A tennis match against Rodger Federer?

Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Doesn't Conor McGregor have more of a boxing/striking background with very mediocre grappling skills?

While it seems many MMA fighters have a background in wrestling or jiu-jitsu, it seems there are also quite a few successful fighters who have a background in boxing and kickboxing. It is "mixed" martial arts after all so most people have to end up shoring up deficiencies whether they be on the grappling end or the striking end. I doubt a striker could ever beat the best wrestler at his/her own game, but they could probably become good enough to avoid the more obvious pitfalls an inexperienced fighter might fall into. Holly Holm vs Ronda Rousey is a good example of this.

I could see a pure boxer enjoying success in UFC after developing some takedown defense and mediocre grappling skills before I could see a pure BJJ guy having a semi-successful career in pro boxing.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:45 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I don't remember Mayweather ever calling out McGregor for an MMA match. All I heard was McGregor calling out Mayweather for a boxing match. Mayweather is only a boxer. He never claimed to be an MMA fighter. McGregor claimed he would out box Mayweather. He got a huge payday for this. He was smart setting in motion the plan to get a huge payday he would never get in the UFC.
Actually in one of those WWE press conferences, Mayweather said he would fight him in a cage.

However, he and everyone knows that Mayweather has 0 chance in a cage whereas McGregor did have a legitimate slight chance of winning in the right. I have no interest in seeing Mayweather just show up to get ****ed up in a cage, itd be rediculous.

McGregor needs to either retire now, or go defend his belts.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:58 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
See, I'm personally swayed away from bjj and wrestling because I just don't want to risk injury. I figure if guys like Jon Jones are tearing their ACL in practice, it just can't be good for you.

Honestly, I would like to learn it, but if you tell me the truth, you're saying that injuries are extremely prevalent?

I would like to learn it, but not at the cost of my elbows, back, neck, hips, and knees.

I respect MMA and jujitsu, despite my obvious low blow on the other post, which was unnecessary, so I'm actually interested. I mean, how much do you need to learn anyway?

Like for me, I would prefer to keep it on my feet and deal with things with them first, and my hands only if I have to. Wrestling is my last choice, but how fast can you learn defense? Forget about offense, but defense?

The way I look at, hands are the quickest way to end the fight, but you have to be ready for anything, so I actually am interested in how you don't get injured because I know you've been talking about this for a while now.
Brazilian jiu jitsu is very complicated, there is a LOT of technique to learn. Unlike most martial arts, a black belt generally (for an average to above average athlete/person) takes a decade to 12 years to get a black belt.
You will spend about 2 years as a white belt and another 2+ at blue belt (white, blue, purple, brown, black, red/black, red/white, red)
You will spend the first 4+ years learning defense and offense. Learning the techniques isn't the thing, anyone can learn a technique. Learning how to apply them on a resisting opponent is different. Learning how to build a game plan, series of techniques. Knowing how and when to transition. It really is human chess. You learn how to control people physically. You learn, when he does x I do y, then build a long list of x/y contingencies.

It's not something people can just go get a little bjj and survive an mma fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Doesn't Conor McGregor have more of a boxing/striking background with very mediocre grappling skills?

While it seems many MMA fighters have a background in wrestling or jiu-jitsu, it seems there are also quite a few successful fighters who have a background in boxing and kickboxing. It is "mixed" martial arts after all so most people have to end up shoring up deficiencies whether they be on the grappling end or the striking end. I doubt a striker could ever beat the best wrestler at his/her own game, but they could probably become good enough to avoid the more obvious pitfalls an inexperienced fighter might fall into. Holly Holm vs Ronda Rousey is a good example of this.

I could see a pure boxer enjoying success in UFC after developing some takedown defense and mediocre grappling skills before I could see a pure BJJ guy having a semi-successful career in pro boxing.
Conor is a bjj brown belt, he's not just some mediocre grappler. He's an elite athlete who has won titles in bjj competition in his ranks at the highest levels.

He has a karate/kick boxing background but has been grappling for a decade almost.
A boxer who trains takedown defense might be good, might not. Look at holly holm, a champion boxer/kick boxer. She was killing the lower level girls, but has looked terrible with the exception of against Ronda. One dimensional Ronda who was surrounded by yes men and a terrible coach.

Look at the vast majority of dominant mma champions, almost every one of them has a wrestling/bjj/grappling background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)