Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 04:08 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk123 View Post
P.S. We would be making plans to head out there now but I am struggling with the fact that my parents live nearby. We come from an upbringing where you take care of your elderly, and I am not sure I can eventually convince them to join us. I would love for them to move out with us. I would set them up in an in-law apartment or build a small home on the same property. More on that later; I am working on them.
Just pack the parents into a box and ship 'em west by rail.

Or buy 'em a one-way vacation ticket. If they want to go back, they gotta pay their own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:27 PM

50 posts, read 61,801 times
Hey, I am from rural Alaska, so moving to MT means more city and people to me! But AK is invaded by the same type you talk about. And they are everywhere bringing their big city ideals with them. I want to move to MT to get away from a little too much isolation for my elderly mom and less hardcore winters. Makes me sad these people are moving into MT also.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:42 PM

114 posts, read 254,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk123 View Post
Wanted to say hello to all and introduce myself.

I will eventually read through this entire thread because it will probably have answers to many questions I have on my mind.

I am born and raised in Massachusetts. Married for 27 years, two kids that are almost out of the house (one still has three years of college). I am self employed, in commercial real estate, but I have a finance background and was a commercial banker in a prior life. I love mountain biking, road biking, flyfishing, spin casting, bowhunting, hiking, skiing, sailing, shooting and reloading my own ammo. My family loves winters and my wife hates humidity. We also hate traffic, crowds and the millions of crazy moonbats that live all around us. The changes in New England over the past thirty years have been staggering. My wife and I cannot even begin to fathom what the next thirty has in store for us. We are not a good fit for Massachusetts.

Last year, my oldest daughter and I hopped in her car and drove west to Utah, where she goes to school. No plans; just packed up the vehicle with some camping gear and basic necessities and hit the road. We saw Niagra, Badlands, Rushmore, Cody WY, Cody Museum, some huge reptile sanctuary, camped and hiked yellowstone, camped and hiked the Tetons, then off to Jackson and finally Salt Lake. This year, my wife and flew out to Utah, was picked up my daughter and we did the same thing. But this time we went through Idaho along the Salmon River, then to Flathead (great camping), Galcier Park and finally worked our way through Yellowstone and Tetons. Two trips of a lifetime. No plans, no reservations, nothing. Try doing that here in New England and you are sleeping in your car...well....probably not because you would get arrested

We are totally in love with Montana. Loved Idaho as well but Montana definitely offers more for the aging population, like health services. We are only 50 years old, but things like that need to be considered since time flies.

We could live in solitude, hunt, fish, ski and enjoy the cooler climate (I could take winter all yer long). Our goal is to visit several more times, during different times of the year. We were in Glacier Park early June and just loved the weather, including the rainstorm that crushed us when climbing up to Apgar Lookout

Well, looking forward to reading what everybody has posted here over time. And I look forward to everyones' future comments.

Pete

P.S. We would be making plans to head out there now but I am struggling with the fact that my parents live nearby. We come from an upbringing where you take care of your elderly, and I am not sure I can eventually convince them to join us. I would love for them to move out with us. I would set them up in an in-law apartment or build a small home on the same property. More on that later; I am working on them.
I enjoyed your post! I have to agree with you about the cooler climate. We love winter but since we have not experienced MT's winters yet, we still have that ahead of us. We're taking a trip up there in a few days and are really looking forward to it.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:16 AM

1,666 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Economic reality didn't allow for us to move here and buy into a lifestyle of solitude and leisure activities. This area is growing and it's not for the better (growth never is). We call the area North of Kalispell on Hwy 93 "Anywhere USA", because you could literally be anywhere else and see the same crap ... strip malls, big box stores, car lots, fast food, subdivisions, bums, etc.

After 45yrs we vacated New California (formerly Colorado) for a job opp here in the Flathead. It didn't take much arm-twisting to leave ... the changes in CO are staggering and not for the better. Hard to 'escape' to the mountains, and the entire front range has become a frenzied mix of subdivisions, strip malls, and traffic from Pueblo to Fort Collins. Population projected to be 10 million by 2050 (it's 5M now). Nevermind drought and water issues.

We absolutely love it here and are trying to take in as much as we can, and at the same time thinking about 'Plan B' if/when the time comes. It's sad to see people descend on nice areas, to the point that what makes the place special is diminished ... it's happening in CO and it looks to be happening here - and being 'newcomers', we're part of the problem. So it goes.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM

745 posts, read 1,285,542 times
Our local Kalispell realtor said people from Colorado are among his majority buyers right now.

We are trying to buy in Kalispell right now. There are still some properties with acreage that I feel will be a wise investment should Kalispell ever Californicate to Colorado levels, something I doubt given its long soul-sucking gray winters.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times
Here's a little lakeside cottage for ya
https://www.privateislandsonline.com...-island-estate

Priced at just a fraction of what it cost to build!
Price for Flathead Lake island, mansion lowered to $59.5M | State & Regional | missoulian.com

Old 08-03-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
That $59m is absurd... I would never want to live in something pretentious like that, something that doesn't fit the valley character and natural surroundings. A simple log cabin for me @ $300k and I will take good care of the island if they'll sell it to me for 1970s prices.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
Our local Kalispell realtor said people from Colorado are among his majority buyers right now.

We are trying to buy in Kalispell right now. There are still some properties with acreage that I feel will be a wise investment should Kalispell ever Californicate to Colorado levels, something I doubt given its long soul-sucking gray winters.
I didn't realize Coloradans were moving that far north. There were tons of them moving into Wyoming when I lived there. Most only stayed a few years before moving back.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I didn't realize Coloradans were moving that far north. There were tons of them moving into Wyoming when I lived there. Most only stayed a few years before moving back.
He mentioned an increasing number are working remotely. They probably figure since they're used to snow in CO they can handle that part of Montana.

There's a map in the Kalispell DMV that shows what state people are from who recently got their MT driver's license. When I saw it two years ago a lot were coming from Washington.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:41 PM

1,666 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
That $59m is absurd... I would never want to live in something pretentious like that, something that doesn't fit the valley character and natural surroundings. A simple log cabin for me @ $300k and I will take good care of the island if they'll sell it to me for 1970s prices.
How it ever got approved to begin with is beyond me - I wasn't around and can only imagine there might have been some local uproar. Confirms the inverse relationship that ego/money can have with common sense among a lot of folks, and a lack of foresight/vision by local officials who let it happen in the first place. What a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana