Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 05:51 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Than, wayyyyy to many big city people have moved there!! Actually, concerning ag, horses, rodeo and, what you refer to as the "stereotype" western lifestyle type people you are talking about, most ranch owners and ranch hands would probably have a few words to say to you.
I don't care what they'd say--they'd be willfully stupid (at best) to disagree with me. Or just comically isolated.

Quote:
Montana has a PRCA Circuit of it's own, high school and college rodeo and rodeo scholarships are even given to some high school graduates that excel in the sport.
Doesn't matter. A tiny percentage of Montana students, be they in college or HS, participate in rodeo club. Back in my HS days, there were probably never even ten participants.

Quote:
Obviously, not everyone in Montana is a cowboy, but the State, like Wyoming, parts of Colorado and the Dakota's sure are known as cowboy states. As for me, I love that.
Most people aren't cowboys, that's the point; therefore, it should look pretty naive to a normal Montanan when you call it a "cowboy state."

Ah, but, I guess we've all fallen for a romantic notion in life. Sh*t happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:17 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Well, Billings still has a livestock auction. Same one that I stopped by at when I was in Billings. That must mean there are still cowboys, horses and cattle buyers in Montana. That would mean the the entire state hasn't "gone to the birds" yet. Very thankful for that.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Well, Billings still has a livestock auction. Same one that I stopped by at when I was in Billings. That must mean there are still cowboys, horses and cattle buyers in Montana. That would mean the the entire state hasn't "gone to the birds" yet. Very thankful for that.
In any case, I could agree with a fundamental assertion that says there are cowboys who live in Montana and that they do cowboy things. Seems fair.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Bingo. I would add, for the purposes of this thread, that transplants who come to Montana actually are here to embrace the "Montana way of life", whatever they understand that to mean, and basically align themselves with the extreme, politically-charged minority of paranoid natives that most of us roll our eyes about. We need transplants, and we need them badly. It should be clear that I don't oppose the idea of newcomers arriving and being catalysts for change. But the stock that I see showing up here...OMFG.

As always.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:44 AM

Just how highly do you, Montguy and NDak15, think of Montana? Seems like both of you really, really want change to happen in the state. Wonder how the "pioneers"/older locals", think of how you feel?

Just wondering.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Just how highly do you, Montguy and NDak15, think of Montana?
I'm the first to admit that I don't like Montana. No equivocations from me.

Objectively speaking, Montana does have its charms and a lot of untapped potential. The larger problem is that the prevailing Old Guard culture keeps said potential in a state of being "untappable," and therein lies my distaste for this state.

Quote:
Seems like both of you really, really want change to happen in the state. Wonder how the "pioneers"/older locals", think of how you feel?

Just wondering.
I couldn't really care less at this point. They're the past, and my concerns are for the future.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I'm the first to admit that I don't like Montana. No equivocations from me.

Objectively speaking, Montana does have its charms and a lot of untapped potential. The larger problem is that the prevailing Old Guard culture keeps said potential in a state of being "untappable," and therein lies my distaste for this state.

I couldn't really care less at this point. They're the past, and I care about the future.
Don't necessarily agree with you, but do understand. I'm one of the "older" ones at 68 years old.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Don't necessarily agree with you, but do understand. I'm one of the "older" ones at 68 years old.
For a baby boomer on the Montana Forum, that was a very progressive reply! Even if that's not what you were going for, still, thank you!

Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
For a baby boomer on the Montana Forum, that was a very progressive reply! Even if that's not what you were going for, still, thank you!
Well, wife and I both have iPhones and I've very computer literate (been using one since 1988 and can type around 75 when....definitely NOT the "hunt and peck" type) and we have some modern electronic stuff. Have to admit, wish we had some 2017 modern stuff when I lived on the hog farm back in the later 60's.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:00 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Just how highly do you, Montguy and NDak15, think of Montana? Seems like both of you really, really want change to happen in the state. Wonder how the "pioneers"/older locals", think of how you feel?

Just wondering.
I grew up in Montana. I moved out in my mid 20s which is almost ten years now. I enjoy going back to visit friends and family and usually have a pretty good time while I'm there. I left Montana primarily because the jobs were lacking and the pay was lousy.

After moving out I've realized some other reasons why I'm glad I don't live there anymore. What I got tired of while living there was the constant complaining. Complaining about people from California or "back east" (I have addressed pros and cons on this previously in the thread), complaining about liberals, complaining about anyone that disagreed with anything that went against the status quo. I got tired of people (It was a small but very loud group) not being able to go more than about three sentences without bringing up politics and cramming beliefs from decades ago and sometimes even over a century ago down your throat. I got tired of people complaining about tourists when it is one of the lifebloods of the state. I got tired of people who were unwilling to listen to any suggestion and get completely offended and say "we don't care how you did things back home." I also couldn't stand the mentality of people thinking that you should sacrifice so much to live in Montana and say the quality of life is good. People actually had the nerve to criticize me for moving when I wasn't making ends meet. Montana has a lot of problems and there are a lot of people who refuse to deal with them.

This was my experience living in Montana and why I no longer live there. I have no doubt older locals strongly disagree with me. I post this perspective on this forum not to necessarily discourage someone from moving to Montana, but give a different perspective so hopefully they can make an informed decision. So many people want to live in the state and have rose-colored glasses and I think there are plenty of people here who also have them on. Some people on the forum don't like it but that's what you're going to get from me unless the moderators decide to ban me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana