Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times

Advertisements

Happy Birthday Montana Griz

All the best and many many many more!

Thank you for all you do for us on this board simply by sharing your wisdom and insight. You are exactly the kind of person that makes Montana a Great place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:06 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Great response Silvertip, you have taken 'The High Road'......you also have shown patience......far more than I would be capable of with a Poster (troll?) who seems to enjoy trying to agitate for the sake of agitation. Since I will be starting my 84th year tomorrow, I will repeat again how much I enjoy living here in Montana and being able to say it "beats-the Hell-out-of-where-I came-from". As you know, my job for 40 years required that I travel all over the entire western U.S., B.C. and Alaska and a good portion of the states and cities east of the Mississippi River as well. Thus I had the opportunity to "screen" many, many areas and locations for where I (we) wanted to spend my (our) retirement years. In a little more than five weeks I will begin my 37th year in the Bitterroot and I "wouldn't-change-a-thing". Been retired for 22 years; was married for over 51 years; have the finest daughter I could ever have hoped for (& she lives just 15 minutes away); and I've acquired a circle of friends and acquaintances that exceeds what I ever could have imagined.

I'm a lucky guy to live out my waning years in total comfort, in a beautiful setting and "wouldn't-change-a-thing"............and I owe it all to MONTANA.......well, maybe "a little planning and common sense" thrown it for good measure.
So Silvertip and Griz....are you actually from here then?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
So Silvertip and Griz....are you actually from here then?
Fifth generation, pioneer family, and some indiginious Indian blood thrown in for seasoning. GG-Grandfather came here with the Indian fighting Army in the 1860/1870 time frame, when his enlistment was up he brought the family out here.

He settled in the Paradise Valley south of Livingston Montana. Several members of the family still live there.

Been here a loooooooong time.

Now that we've established my bona fides, how about you?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:41 PM

I thought we already did. Why, you wanna test me with some of your typos again?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I thought we already did. Why, you wanna test me with some of your typos again?
We established you have lived on the hi-line, but you're the one that seems to need some sort of pedigree to determine if someone has the right to post or not, so as fair is fair, why not enlighten us with how long you've lived in Montana to develop such a distaste for it?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
We established you have lived on the hi-line, but you're the one that seems to need some sort of pedigree to determine if someone has the right to post or not, so as fair is fair, why not enlighten us with how long you've lived in Montana to develop such a distaste for it?
Oh, if you read back a few posts I think I make my stance on people's right to post or not based on where they are from quite clear.

And how much distaste do you assume I have? Just because someone disagrees with you or doesn't think the same way doesn't make them a troll. That is all I am getting at. I was born and raised here, Glasgow if you must know, 36 plus years. Just because I, or anyone else for that matter, take some issues with certain things in this state does not mean they are insinuating Montana is a horrible place. I am just wondering why people who have "been all over" don't seem to think those opinions are valid.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
I like to post in Montana. I don't live there, but I'd a morning, while drinking a cup of coffee, I am looking at Montana from my porch. That qualifies me, doesn't it?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 AM

90 posts, read 92,542 times
Ha ha ElkHunter, you are one spunky bugger! So good to see you up & at it again, doing well after what you've been thru in the past year or so! I've been a silent fan of yours for awhile, but wanted to finally say howdy & yep, you're more than qualified to have any & all opinions on the MT or WY forums or anywhere else you darn well please!

I lived in Sheridan back in 1999, (we used to have cowboy poetry meetings in the Ranchester area) & it's a great little town but no way I can afford it now....have had a cabin (see my profile picture) in south central MT, the Nye area, (about 90 miles west & south of Billings) for the past 11+ years....actually had been flirting with the notion of trading my MT place for a small cabin in western NC, as I'm taking care of my 90 year old mom in Florida for the past 5-6 years....FL summers are insane, & I was hoping for an escape to NC for part of the summers.

Sadly, the MT cabin sits empty & costs me a lot to maintain every year (like $6,000+ just sitting, for all the bills & basics)....every time I've even thought about selling it, I get so sad. And the more I think about leaving MT & the West in general, the more I begin to realize, the East is just "not my planet". The past 30+ years have been spent in TX, AZ, CO, WA, UT, WY, & MT.

Anyway, am just about to decide to either keep the cabin or trade into a smaller place in the Big City, Billings....I don't mind living up on the 5,000+ elevation mountain all year, (happy to be snowed in) but I have no idea how much longer I'll be in FL & unable to visit the place for more than a few days at a time. (I retired from the airlines so can fly up for free & I keep a 4 wheel drive car up there in storage). Plus, I'm getting to the age where convenience of medical care might outweigh the beauty of sitting on my sofa & seeing the distant peaks of Yellowstone. Oh no, I think I've just talked myself into keeping the cabin! I am having a terrible time thinking of giving up that cabin! What am I gonna do????

How on earth can I justify leaving such a beautiful place? I bought the place in just 5 minutes, it was love at first sight!!! I love the people, the small town life, the sense of community, all the things that make Montana so wonderful...(and parts of Wyoming too!) It's killing me...I do know one thing for sure, since I decided (really only in the last few days) to stay out West, I've been a lot happier all the way around. It's as if a weight has lifted off me...I guess I knew my heart wasn't in a move East...

Anyway, howdy all, & ElkHunter, good on you for being such a hardy ol' feller, hope to run into ya down the road apiece one of these days! I also have a 36 foot motorhome, which I drive myself so may be passin' thru someday....good luck in the healing process, keeping you in my thoughts & prayers for a fulll recovery from all that might ail you now and in the days to come.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I like to post in Montana. I don't live there, but I'd a morning, while drinking a cup of coffee, I am looking at Montana from my porch. That qualifies me, doesn't it?
Qualifies you for what? I think anyone can have an opinion, qualifications not required. Granted certain experiences and other factors may make said opinion more or less legitimate than others but I like hearing other points of view for the most part. The only thing I don't like is hearing other view points diminished because of prejudices. I have seen where people have told others that they have no right to comment on what goes on around Yellowstone because they don't live there. The minute I point out that neither do they and maybe they should be quiet themselves they tell me how everyone has a right to an opinion no matter where they are from.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:01 AM

10 posts, read 18,605 times
Just reading post one on page one.....get off your high horse Nancy. Montana isn't the best of the best although I love it here. Arkansas, Virginia, Colorado, California, Alberta, etc, etc. all have their very fantastic qualities as do just about every state, provence I've seen.

Get off your high horse, Nancy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana