Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 02:01 PM

1,666 posts, read 4,368,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I didn't realize Coloradans were moving that far north. There were tons of them moving into Wyoming when I lived there. Most only stayed a few years before moving back.
Spent 5yrs in Laramie at UW. The wind. The wind was terrible ... "it's windy in Wyoming because Nebraska sucks" ... at least that was the saying at the time.

Now it seems to be windy along the Front Range of CO all the time ... more than we remembered it being 10-20yrs ago. The hot, dry wind sucks the moisture out of everything. Water politics are going to get interesting as they struggle with high demand from agriculture and population growth.

Winter here will be the great equalizer for a lot of folks, including myself. We've had locals tell us that this past year broke the spirit of many who couldn't take it, and have left or are in the process of trying to sell and leave. That might explain the large number of properties for sale in the area (?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Quote:
I didn't realize Coloradans were moving that far north. There were tons of them moving into Wyoming when I lived there. Most only stayed a few years before moving back.

SW MT has former Boulder residents who moved there about 25 years ago when they discovered their hot property values exchanged favorably.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Spent 5yrs in Laramie at UW. The wind. The wind was terrible ... "it's windy in Wyoming because Nebraska sucks" ... at least that was the saying at the time.

Now it seems to be windy along the Front Range of CO all the time ... more than we remembered it being 10-20yrs ago. The hot, dry wind sucks the moisture out of everything. Water politics are going to get interesting as they struggle with high demand from agriculture and population growth.

Winter here will be the great equalizer for a lot of folks, including myself. We've had locals tell us that this past year broke the spirit of many who couldn't take it, and have left or are in the process of trying to sell and leave. That might explain the large number of properties for sale in the area (?)
Growing up in Montana I got used to Californians moving in at the beginning of the school year. Usually it was someone who came out on a vacation loved the scenery and seemed to believe Montanans don't have jobs and hike, fly fish, and camp all the time. Then winter hit. Between that and realizing they still needed a job to actually do those summer only activities, most hightailed it out by Christmas. The funny thing is, now that I live in North Dakota, Montana winters seem like child's play.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,910,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Lately the threads from people wanting to move here to escape big city life, people, crime and live in harmony with nature have been multiplying at an alarming rate. While I'm not going to be one of those "locals" who tell others not to come, I would like to explain something very simple.

If everyone who wanted to move here to escape whatever it is that they want to escape from, Montana is going to become exactly what you left behind.
Yes we have open spaces, not for long if everyone comes to live in the open spaces. Yes our crime rate is lower than most other states, not for long if our population takes a sudden leap.

Yes we have an abundance of "nature", and that nature is going to disappear when you come and build your home in that subdivision.

Yes we have wildlife beyond belief. That subdivion your home was built on just forced whatever wildlife that was living there to relocate to another area in which it's competing with other wildlife and it's chances of survival are slim. No, I am not a "bunny hugger", I hunt, fish ect... No I'm not a "tree hugger", we are a timber industry family.

I don't know how many threads have been started by locals explaining how those wanting to move here should "come in the winter", "have a job lined up", "be prepared for the weather", "driving in winter is not a treat" ect, ect, ect...... Those threads are started so that we don't end up answering every single thread by those wanting to move here and there are new ones everyday.

You want harmony and peace with nature and wide open spaces? Every state in America has that, some you just have to travel to get there. Everyone moves to Montana to acheive that and Montana is going to be just like the state you moved here from. So please read the informational threads before jumping right into a new "help, have to get out the city, crime and want to be one with nature" thread.
So you want to put a border around Montana because in your eyes it's not a state? If the rest of us got overcrowded it's because we live in states so Montana is going to have to deal like the rest of us.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Growing up in Montana I got used to Californians moving in at the beginning of the school year. Usually it was someone who came out on a vacation loved the scenery and seemed to believe Montanans don't have jobs and hike, fly fish, and camp all the time. Then winter hit. Between that and realizing they still needed a job to actually do those summer only activities, most hightailed it out by Christmas. The funny thing is, now that I live in North Dakota, Montana winters seem like child's play.
If/when the Flathead gets another winter like '96 I'll bet you'll see moving trucks lined up to leave and impossible to find empty ones just like back then.
The Flathead has not had a severe (normal) winter in years but it'll happen eventually.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 PM

140 posts, read 139,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post

You think Laramies windy then visit Livingston sometime. Your beer will literally fly away if youre not careful

Old 08-03-2017, 10:50 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
So you want to put a border around Montana because in your eyes it's not a state? If the rest of us got overcrowded it's because we live in states so Montana is going to have to deal like the rest of us.
???

Old 08-04-2017, 08:34 AM

1,666 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
You think Laramies windy then visit Livingston sometime. Your beer will literally fly away if youre not careful
Very familiar with it - nice place, but that wind would make it inhospitable for us.

2 out of 4 trips back and forth through there earlier this year in the process of moving, the pass was closed due to wind.

They could replace the windsocks with chains and they'd still sail

Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,167,694 times

Old 08-17-2017, 03:45 PM

246 posts, read 350,364 times
What i don't get is WHY people keep moving their without any housing lined up. I left the Flathead Valley after 12 years as prices where ridiculous and wages sucked even as a small business owner. Hell my business insurance alone went from $6,750 a year to $2,080 a year when i left Montana for Wisconsin. Taxes are 40% less and housing is 1/3rd. My daughter makes $3 an hour more as a CNA in Wisconsin as well. Montana, Poverty with a view but you can't eat the scenery!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana