Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'll have to check out Aquamn. Is that the Asylum knockoff with Van Damme?
That movie didn't deserve 1 A, much less 3. Should have been FQUFMFN.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 07:33 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Saw the Avengers movie yesterday and I thought it was a pretty lame 2 hours. It didn't get good until the headquarters was blown up. Still I can't see why this movie grossed so much at the box office.
It’s pretty obvious why it grossed so much. It was the end of a 22 film movie era. No matter how good or bad you think it was, it was going to gross a ton just because it was the last film in the chapter (and developed a huge following over 10 years).

Old 05-29-2019, 09:42 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Where's Avatar?
This is the one I was getting ready to post.
A boring and predictable storyline wrapped up in a bunch of special effects. Evil forces from the military-industrial complex conspire to rob the noble alien savages of their beautiful, unspoiled planet. Yeah, that's never been done. And the 'avatar' angle was preposterous.
TBH, I think most every James Cameron film is pretty light on good narrative (I'll exempt True Lies from that criticism, as I found it pretty entertaining). I even found the Rose/Jack s/l in Titanic to be rather distracting and unnecessary. And what was with throwing the necklace overboard, lady? You couldn't pass it on to your devoted and selfless granddaughter who took care of you all of those years?

Old 05-30-2019, 08:00 AM

512 posts, read 321,211 times
Of course certain people are going to find True Lies "entertaining" (the one James Cameron film that is blatantly, unapologetically racist, xenophobic, and sexist). What a shocker...not.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Of course certain people are going to find True Lies "entertaining" (the one James Cameron film that is blatantly, unapologetically racist, xenophobic, and sexist). What a shocker...not.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:53 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
....Black Panther - a good action flick. Deserved to do half of what it did....
I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to say. What does "Deserved to do half of what it did." mean? Are you saying you think it was wrong for people to go see Black Panther? Wrong for that many people to see the movie? A lot of people wanted to see it, so they went to see it. (In case you were wondering, and I am not a fan of Black Panther, or of superhero movies in general. I generally find them to be too loud and frenetic. I did enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy, and you don't have that many years on me. So was I "wrong" to have seen in at the theater and add the huge box office numbers it did?)

What's a "deserving" movie? A movie you like? I just don't see the point in pissing and moaning about the fact that other people want to go see movies you don't want to see.

--

Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
What's a "deserving" movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
I just don't see the point in pissing and moaning about the fact that other people want to go see movies you don't want to see.
Because pissing and moaning is the reason most people go online. Welcome aboard.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:44 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
This woman did.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:43 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It’s pretty obvious why it grossed so much. It was the end of a 22 film movie era. No matter how good or bad you think it was, it was going to gross a ton just because it was the last film in the chapter (and developed a huge following over 10 years).
A number of those movies were blockbusters because they were events.

"Avengers: Endgame" marked the end of an era--it is an epoch.

That was the case as well, for instance, with "The Force Awakens." It was an epoch because it marked the return of Star Wars to the big screen and a new era of Star Wars movies.

Just like many of us can say "we wuz there" for the first weekend of "Star Wars: A New Hope," many people want to have "been there" for such movie events.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:47 PM

749 posts, read 579,800 times
Godfather movies. Very overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies