Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 01:51 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times

Advertisements

The Twilight movies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 01:57 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,902 times
I only watched the Infinity War on Netflix and didn't care about the Endgame. IMO Infinity War is just average.

I am most surprised that a girl I know cried when the Superheroes died in the movie. In China, a female moviegoer was so shocked on the death that she was taken into hospital.

I thought girls only cried for the kind of movie like "Love Story" or "Romeo & Juliet".

Old 05-31-2019, 02:03 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
The Maze Runner series.

Took in close to US$1 billion total.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...he#tab=summary

Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,902 times
Matrix -- I was dizzy after watching the first one. And really couldn't figure out what was going on.

Harry Potter -- the first two are really good. But the latter movies in the series are somewhat scary for young kids.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Godfather movies. Very overrated.
I would say yes to #3. #1 and #2 are true classics.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:31 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Godfather movies. Very overrated.
Uh oh. Now you started it....

--

Old 06-04-2019, 12:16 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,641 times
There are movies and songs that I don't like, that most do, I respect the reasons why they like it. But I have to say Avatar one movie that I cannot rack my brain around why so many people not only liked it but kept going to see it. Honestly I thought it was one of the worse movies I ever paid to see in my entire life. When these sequels are released I will be interested to see if people still flock to see it, because I never hear anyone ever mention anywhere how much they liked the movie, but somehow it made a boat load of money.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:25 PM

662 posts, read 313,088 times
Avatar - saw it in the theater 3D based on hype, didn't care for it

Titanic - turned it off after about 2 1/2 hours, bored to tears, just sink already

Jurassic World - gave it a shot based on great reviews, should have ignored it like I did before the great reviews

Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
.... But I have to say Avatar one movie that I cannot rack my brain around why so many people not only liked it but kept going to see it. Honestly I thought it was one of the worse movies I ever paid to see in my entire life.....
And I "cannot rack my brain around why" so many people on this thread seem to want to bash Avatar. It got an 82% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (which means 82% of movie critics disagree with you). I guess the spectacular special effects, compelling story, excellent writing and acting, and real human/alien drama didn't do it for you, huh? You prefer one of the Twilight movies?

I saw Avatar at the theater and was blown away by it. I thought it was absolutely terrific. And I bought the Bluray DVD and have watched it multiple times on cable. I thought it was THAT good. And yes, that means I will be going to the theater to see the sequels.

I think it comes down to people being contrary. They see something that a LOT of other people like, and they decide (probably subconsciously) they're simply not going to like it BECAUSE of that. My mom used to do that. If it was popular, she didn't like it. Never failed. You see the same thing with Titanic. Titanic was a HUGE commercial and critical success. 89% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, huge box office gross, 11 academy awards (including best picture) and so you inevitably have people poo-pooing it. " I don't see what all the fuss was about." Or "The ship sank. Get over it." Which is what the OP started this thread discussing. Very successful movies that he felt didn't "deserve" it. Whatever that means.

I have a suggestion for you. Pick out one of the movies from this list: Iron Eagles, Tango and Cash, or Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man. Three of the WORST movies I've ever seen. They were absolutely AWFUL, TERRIBLE movies. And these weren't B movies--they were major Hollywood productions.

Sit down and watch Tango and Cash, and then watch Avatar. And ask yourself honestly, "Which one was the bad movie?"

--

Last edited by Bill790; 06-05-2019 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Avatar - saw it in the theater 3D based on hype, didn't care for it
One of my all-time favorites. See my post above. Did it "deserve" its blockbuster status? Absolutely.

Quote:
Titanic - turned it off after about 2 1/2 hours, bored to tears, just sink already
Another James Cameron "big" movie. I didn't like it as much as I liked Avatar, but I did enjoy it. Did it "deserve" its blockbuster status? Absolutely.

Quote:
Jurassic World - gave it a shot based on great reviews, should have ignored it like I did before the great reviews
Only went to see it because my GF wanted to see it. Was disappointed. I think they've wrung about as much money from this franchise as they can. How many times can you do the dinosaur drama? I guess as long as they keep making money. Did it "deserve" its blockbuster status? Meh. If people keep going to see them, they will keep making them. It's up to the people what movies are blockbusters.

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies