Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 AM

473 posts, read 714,785 times

Advertisements

i was very disapointed to find i had to watch despicable me in 3D. i love movies- hate 3D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
What a bunch of whinging. If you don't want to watch in 3-D, bring an eyepatch.

The article just confirms what I have been saying all along - it takes a different style of filming to do 3D properly, and the directors and cinematographers are still trying to use the 2-D conventions. The probably are the descendants of the early film makers who used the broad gestures of vaudeville to create "action" in silent films, and I suspect some of them are still looking for the carriage return on the computer keyboard.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
The only "3D" movie i have seen is Toy Store 3. I was not all that impressed - in fact, something about it gave me a headache.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 PM

369 posts, read 776,879 times
I hope they stop this 3D movement. It's just a way for the theaters to get more money from us. Its just absolutely ridiculous how expensive a 3D movie is.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
It's really annoying how every movie is doing 3D; I was really annoyed when I heard about Step Up 3D. What's next?? American Pie 3D. It's just a lame way to pull in movie goers, and apparently.....it's working.

It's like forget about an actually storyline or character developments; lets put all our time and effort into visual effects. Those idiots won't care as along as we have amazing special effects.

The last 3D movie I saw was Bloody Valentine which I felt would've been better without the 3D nonsense.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 AM

631 posts, read 1,072,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The New York Times > Log In

Notice that the only ones who are rah-rah gung-ho for 3D movies are studio executives? All of today's best filmmakers hate it.
Maybe it's growing, yet I'm sure every movie will be 3D soon. There's no other way.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Maybe it's growing, yet I'm sure every movie will be 3D soon. There's no other way.
No. It's a gimmick forced on us by studios in order to get more $$$. Filmmakers hate it. Critics loathe it. And more and more movie-goers are joining the resistance.

The sooner it dies, the better.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 AM

631 posts, read 1,072,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No. It's a gimmick forced on us by studios in order to get more $$$. Filmmakers hate it. Critics loathe it. And more and more movie-goers are joining the resistance.

The sooner it dies, the better.
After Avatar? Now way. 3D was a revolution. Now we have more and more 3D theaters and 3D films day after day. Further, now we have 3D TV sets. So whether you like it or not you have to deal with it - 3D is a future when it comes to movies and video games. Nobody cares what some old-fashioned directors or critics think.... What studios, producers and movie-goers think is the key think. Avatar proved that tons of movie-goers love 3D.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:59 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
After Avatar? Now way. 3D was a revolution. Now we have more and more 3D theaters and 3D films day after day. Further, now we have 3D TV sets. So whether you like it or not you have to deal with it - 3D is a future when it comes to movies and video games. Nobody cares what some old-fashioned directors or critics think.... What studios, producers and movie-goers think is the key think. Avatar proved that tons of movie-goers love 3D.
Avatar proved nothing of the sort. Avatar proved that James Cameron makes popular movies. Avatar proved the revoultion of 3D no more than Titanic proved the revolution of boat movies.

A revolution completely changes the way movies are made. 3D is only changing ticket prices. It's a gimmick, and it adds nothing to the movie-going experience.

And the directors speaking out against it aren't a bunch of old-fashioned fogies screamin at the young'uns to git off their lawn. They are the filmmakers making the hit movies today, guys like J.J. Abrams and Christopher Nolan.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Moviemakers are going overboard with the 3D. I understand the beauty of having Avatar in 3D, but "Toy Story 3"?...It's not needed!
And quite honestly nobody would want to see Step Up again, so they made it in 3D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies