Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 05:02 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,293 times

Advertisements

I just remember FREEZING at Harvest of Harmony in GI at the beginning of October back in high school. My marching band went there every year and each year was colder than the last.
So it's just odd that it's SO warm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,271 times
So, looks like the first blast of winter is on its way. We are suppose to only get a couple inches in my area, but the wind is suppose to howl so thats not good news. They're talking about 6 inches in the Sandhills down to North Platte and then a little less for McCook. Of course, as with any winter storm, they won't know exactly till it gets closer. Luckily it will be warm enough, and the roads should still be warm enough, that the only travel concern should be visibility. No icy roads and the snow should also melt pretty quick.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:11 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
So, looks like the first blast of winter is on its way. We are suppose to only get a couple inches in my area, but the wind is suppose to howl so thats not good news. They're talking about 6 inches in the Sandhills down to North Platte and then a little less for McCook. Of course, as with any winter storm, they won't know exactly till it gets closer. Luckily it will be warm enough, and the roads should still be warm enough, that the only travel concern should be visibility. No icy roads and the snow should also melt pretty quick.
Yay... snow, lol....and ehre, i have to head into town Wednesday. I live about 1 mile away from the town center, not really outside of town, but close to the edge.. and I don't drive.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:56 PM

At least its not suppose to be bitterly cold, ya got snow tires on your bike.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times
Whoo hoo! My first snowstorm!!!

OK not really - but my first one in the new house. We are lookiing forward to it. We have propane in the tank, and firewood, and food, kero for the lamps, and candles (the power goes out here fairly often during snowstorms, so we've been told) and TP.

The predictions have been all over the map today; from 3 to 15 inches! At first they were saying it would be worse Thursday. They cancelled the winter storm watch I guess, and are just going with the wind advisory for now. Saying gusts up to 50 mph tonite. For the school we have a calling tree to let the parents know if we have to close, but we probably won't need it - yet. Just in case, though... The cool part is not knowing. We might wake up to find our Halloween mummy ankle-deep in snow - or just wet leaves. Guess it depends on how fast the southerly rain hits the cold front coming across and down. IT's kinda fun to watch on the radar, though. Look, blue! Look, pink!

Grin. OK, I know, we'll see how I feel in March! LOL but I do love weather in all of its mixed up passion.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
Its Just turned to fall here.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Whoo hoo! My first snowstorm!!!

OK not really - but my first one in the new house. We are lookiing forward to it. We have propane in the tank, and firewood, and food, kero for the lamps, and candles (the power goes out here fairly often during snowstorms, so we've been told) and TP.

The predictions have been all over the map today; from 3 to 15 inches! At first they were saying it would be worse Thursday. They cancelled the winter storm watch I guess, and are just going with the wind advisory for now. Saying gusts up to 50 mph tonite. For the school we have a calling tree to let the parents know if we have to close, but we probably won't need it - yet. Just in case, though... The cool part is not knowing. We might wake up to find our Halloween mummy ankle-deep in snow - or just wet leaves. Guess it depends on how fast the southerly rain hits the cold front coming across and down. IT's kinda fun to watch on the radar, though. Look, blue! Look, pink!

Grin. OK, I know, we'll see how I feel in March! LOL but I do love weather in all of its mixed up passion.
Watch out for that pink. Thats some nasty stuff. Enjoy the storm, the wind is going to be the real pain. Sounds like you are well prepared though. Nice thing is its suppose to be around 60 in my area by Saturday! Which I'm glad because I scored me some Husker tickets!!! Also hopefully things will dry out for awhile. The farmers need to get the harvest in.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,619 times
Well the cows are down off the ridges this am for sure gettin out of that wind.

We are ready also. I must say I am looking forward to sitting by the wood stove looking out the window at falling snow. But its so much prettier falling straight down than going through the air sideways is you know what I mean.

Everyone stay safe, warm, and here's tipping my coffee to ya.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:21 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
Well the cows are down off the ridges this am for sure gettin out of that wind.

We are ready also. I must say I am looking forward to sitting by the wood stove looking out the window at falling snow. But its so much prettier falling straight down than going through the air sideways is you know what I mean.

Everyone stay safe, warm, and here's tipping my coffee to ya.
I know it can get alot colder, snowier and windier here... but my dog, an 8 yr old beagle, didn't even wanna hang around outside for very long this morning for his AM potty break.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Its snowing here of and on but not sticking to the ground. We've had a bunch of rain though and are in a flood warning. Not suppose to get more than an inch of accumulation here now. Had to travel to Kearney this morning and it started snowing there about 10 am. There was a nice dusting on the ground east of Kearney to about Shelton. I agree with you Sandhills, so much better when its falling down instead of pelting you in the face! Radio, my dog is the same way, in and out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska