Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2021, 10:45 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Northern Nevada real estate is more expensive than Southern Nevada. You can get more home for your money in the Las Vegas area.
But it would still be Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 10:49 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
But it would still be Las Vegas
No Vegas for me. Too hot, too crowded and too much traffic.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:58 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
No Vegas for me. Too hot, too crowded and too much traffic.
The heat alone is terrible. But it is the desert so it's expected. It really is a different world from the Carson City area. We have the same thing here on Mars. Desert, forests, mountains, valleys and a plethora of varied climates.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The heat alone is terrible. But it is the desert so it's expected. It really is a different world from the Carson City area. We have the same thing here on Mars. Desert, forests, mountains, valleys and a plethora of varied climates.
Outskirts of Carson City or Dayton?

Old 04-10-2021, 02:57 PM

783 posts, read 841,132 times
We are a days drive away for you to visit Nowhereman....just try and beat the commute times from the Bay Area through Sacramento...UGH.

Dayton is more affordable and has more housing options than Carson City, but is a high desert environment. Douglas County (Minden/Genoa/Johnson Lane), Carson City and Washoe Valley are right up against the Sierra Mountains and there is a great deal of different property options in these communities.

Here is a link to help you plan a trip: https://visitcarsoncity.com/

Old 04-12-2021, 01:51 AM

Quote:
We are a days drive away for you to visit Nowhereman....just try and beat the commute times from the Bay Area through Sacramento...UGH.

Dayton is more affordable and has more housing options than Carson City, but is a high desert environment. Douglas County (Minden/Genoa/Johnson Lane), Carson City and Washoe Valley are right up against the Sierra Mountains and there is a great deal of different property options in these communities.

Here is a link to help you plan a trip: https://visitcarsoncity.com/
tO live perhaps Washoe Valley to Dayton to Virginia City to Stage Coach?. Fernley for newer homes though Fernley is getting out there but hopefully don't have to deal with traffic. Fallon is even further which I believe is the new Top Gun Academy?
There is no traffic like here. I believe Nevada would be the state to go to if you don't want to deal with living and driving in snow.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:42 PM

783 posts, read 841,132 times
Northern Nevada does get snow. We have winters here and they can be long, but they are not like Idaho or Montana winters with prolonged cold, clouds and snow. Usually, the storms are sporadic and then the sun melts the snow pretty quick. It is very sunny here most of the time. The only city in Northern Nevada with traffic jams on the freeway, etc..is Reno. Carson has some minor traffic slow downs sometimes coming in from the south...minor as in maybe you will miss a light once in awhile during peak traffic flow.

If you want less snow, Fallon or Fernley even Dayton would have less, but the Sierra's are farther away. Washoe Valley is very beautiful and more rural, but you would drive into Reno or Carson for most goods and services and it can have a brutal wind pattern on a regular basis plus snow. Virginia City is at a high altitude....snow and cold are on the menu up there more often than down here in the valleys and the drive up there is a factor, it is a twisty-turny mountain road...not everyone would be comfortable with it during weather events.

The only place in Nevada with little or no snow is Clark County

Old 04-12-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Northern Nevada does get snow. We have winters here and they can be long, but they are not like Idaho or Montana winters with prolonged cold, clouds and snow. Usually, the storms are sporadic and then the sun melts the snow pretty quick. It is very sunny here most of the time. The only city in Northern Nevada with traffic jams on the freeway, etc..is Reno. Carson has some minor traffic slow downs sometimes coming in from the south...minor as in maybe you will miss a light once in awhile during peak traffic flow.

If you want less snow, Fallon or Fernley even Dayton would have less, but the Sierra's are farther away. Washoe Valley is very beautiful and more rural, but you would drive into Reno or Carson for most goods and services and it can have a brutal wind pattern on a regular basis plus snow. Virginia City is at a high altitude....snow and cold are on the menu up there more often than down here in the valleys and the drive up there is a factor, it is a twisty-turny mountain road...not everyone would be comfortable with it during weather events.

Clark County is that still in Northern Nevada near Carson City? Carson City has a Costco and a 24 hr. Fitness Club in it and as you said most of the shopping would probably be there so it would seem logical to be not far from Carson but perhaps 20 or 30 miles out to escape the traffic and snow?
I don't know what the time it takes to travel the distance between Fernley and Carson City. I guess it would depend on the weather if that freeway gets lots of snow.
I don't think Nevada would be anything like Wyoming, Idaho or Montana. The thing is because Nevada is all desert. dry?

In this Nevada forum it appears that all the activity is down in the Las Vegas area of Nevada and just for that reason I do not want to be near crowds, congestion, traffic noise and lots of people. We are looking for peace n quiet. Maybe even boredom but if we want to be near a city that is hopping I don't mind being 20 to 30+ miles out provided the freeways are clear of traffic, cars and traffic signals.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:08 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,757,275 times
Quote:

Gave me a good laugh. I look at the "rush hour" traffic reports on local news and say to my wife, "What are we going to do with all this rush hour traffic?" then snicker. It's a little worse now with the Spaghetti Bowl construction but when that's done it will be just slow traffic with only traffic jams due to accidents. What might be considered rush hour traffic lasts only about an hour to 90 minutes.

I don't know what nowhereman considers traffic but it is not even close to what it is in the entire Bay Area of Sacramento metro. It's even much lighter than Las Vegas.

One can't escape the snow in the winter, but there is less snow below 5,000 feet so you'd want to watch the elevation.

One may also want to consider the wind. It gets more windy in certain areas compared to others...for example Washoe Valley, Fernley, central and eastern Dayton and Summerlin. The wind is less in the north eastern part of Sparks/Spanish Springs.

Fernley is less than an hour from Carson City (50 miles). It's possible snow may close the major highways (80, 395/580 50) in the valley if it were a MAJOR storm but it would only be once or twice a year and only for one or two days. I've never had an issue with this and you can plan ahead if necessary.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 04-13-2021 at 12:18 AM..

Old 04-13-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Gave me a good laugh. I look at the "rush hour" traffic reports on local news and say to my wife, "What are we going to do with all this rush hour traffic?" then snicker. It's a little worse now with the Spaghetti Bowl construction but when that's done it will be just slow traffic with only traffic jams due to accidents. What might be considered rush hour traffic lasts only about an hour to 90 minutes.

I don't know what nowhereman considers traffic but it is not even close to what it is in the entire Bay Area of Sacramento metro. It's even much lighter than Las Vegas.

One can't escape the snow in the winter, but there is less snow below 5,000 feet so you'd want to watch the elevation.

One may also want to consider the wind. It gets more windy in certain areas compared to others...for example Washoe Valley, Fernley, central and eastern Dayton and Summerlin. The wind is less in the north eastern part of Sparks/Spanish Springs.

Fernley is less than an hour from Carson City (50 miles). It's possible snow may close the major highways (80, 395/580 50) in the valley if it were a MAJOR storm but it would only be once or twice a year and only for one or two days. I've never had an issue with this and you can plan ahead if necessary.
sOunds good. The traffic I speak of is the SF Bay Bridge Maze and neighboring freeways in SF Bay Area. There is no place that is worse. I am sure Nevada is better as I picture a freeway of no cars. I guess it doesn' t rain much in Northern Nevada from Dayton, Carson City to Fernley? Is it sunny all the time? I don't like the sun but I picture Nevada as one big giant desert. I'm used to the fog from the ocean. I would never move to Sacramento as it's too hot and too crowded there with traffic gridlock and people everywhere. Remember the freeways here are dilapitated. It's pot hole city forever. Not good for car or your body.
Is water scarce there in Carson, Virginia City and Stage Coach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada