Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:05 PM

156 posts, read 434,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The state of Connecticut promised that the income tax it inacted in the 90s would "fix" the tax situation.....it fixed it alright, Conn is the second highest taxed state in the nation. Their property taxes, which the state promised would go down, only went down for a while. It's all about spending, spending, spending

NH is trending red again, and Sununu has caught up with our former tax & spend governor in the polls. Thanks to the Palin pick the Republican party has come back, and come back fast.
Palin has very little in common with most NH Republicans other than low taxes. She's way too conservative on social issues and there's tons of evidence that she loves big spending.

Personally, if we had some NH-style Republicans on the ticket, I would for them. But all we get every 4 years are the same old war-mongering candidates who would rather talk about flag pins, flag burning, gay marriage and see who can yell "I love my country" the loudest. Oh, and to top it off they love to spend money even more than Democrats do.

I hate high taxes and spending but I don't want to see the White House become a branch of a fundamentalist church.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:21 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,743,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserable Midwest View Post
Palin has very little in common with most NH Republicans other than low taxes. She's way too conservative on social issues and there's tons of evidence that she loves big spending.

Personally, if we had some NH-style Republicans on the ticket, I would for them. But all we get every 4 years are the same old war-mongering candidates who would rather talk about flag pins, flag burning, gay marriage and see who can yell "I love my country" the loudest. Oh, and to top it off they love to spend money even more than Democrats do.

I hate high taxes and spending but I don't want to see the White House become a branch of a fundamentalist church.
Don't worry......seperatiom of church & state is very alive and well in the USA Palin or no Palin in the WH.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
...... I also hope people realize that if an income tax is implemented-your property tax will not disappear or reduce. .
Look at NJ. We have income taxes, crushing property taxes, sales taxes, tolls and lotteries. We also have powerful public worker unions and urban politicians and we're >30 billion in the hole.

Those of you in NH who want more taxes to go to your state government. Be real careful what you wish for.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,330,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Look at NJ. We have income taxes, crushing property taxes, sales taxes, tolls and lotteries. We also have powerful public worker unions and urban politicians and we're >30 billion in the hole.

Those of you in NH who want more taxes to go to your state government. Be real careful what you wish for.
I know. I was born and raised in NJ and saw it happen. The real sad thing is that I think that there are some people who think that if an income tax were implemented here in NH that the property tax would totally disappear. We know that nothing is further from the truth.

Nicolem

Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 AM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,009 times
Default obama wins nh easy?

our local news here in nevada makes it sound like obama will win NH pretty easy, yet some say it will go to McCain/Palin. Here in Nevada it sounds like most people have shifted from obama since Palin was announced, should be interesting.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:37 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,330,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
our local news here in nevada makes it sound like obama will win NH pretty easy, yet some say it will go to McCain/Palin. Here in Nevada it sounds like most people have shifted from obama since Palin was announced, should be interesting.
No I dont believe Obama wins NH easily nor do I think that McCain will win NH easily. I think it will be failry close and my gut is telling me that McCain will pull it out but it will be close. I am not voting for McCain or Obama- I am voting for a third party but this is just what my gut is telling me. I am campaiging for a few on the congressional and state level and have spoken to quite a few people and it is a mixed bag of votes to say the least. In my travels a lot of "undecideds". It will be interesting.

Nicolem

Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Southern NH has become much more of a Massachusetts refuge than it used to be, so I think a lot of political attitudes have simply moved north and over the state line.
I believe there are a significant number of evangelical people, around Concord and so on.
From what I gather of friends in NH, property taxes can be fairly onerous. Also, state services might be fairly minimal. Is it NH that doesn't have kindergarten?

Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,601,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
Just my observation- NH isn't really so much a "red" state as much as it is an independant/personal rights/fiscally conservative state. In the past republicans were identified with being fiscally conservative and strongly standing up for personal rights and responsibilities.

As the beliefs of the parties change it seems that the voting patterns of NH voters shift to whomever each voter feels best represents them- making it a true independant/swing state.

Given the stance of many "new school" republican leaders (strict religions convictions, massibe debt-based financing, personal liberties issues, etc) I wouldn't be suprised to see the state swing more toward the blue end of the spectrum as a result- but again this depends on the candidate. The "old school" republican is still the winner here.

Little known fact 1: Did you know that around civil war times the values most associated with "republican" and "democrat" in the past 50 years were actually reversed?

Little known fact 2: Did you know that a statistically large percentage of voters did not know that they can vote for members of different parties (ie- I can vote for the republican senator I like AND the democratic president I like).

The ignorance of the "general" American voter is scary. Working leg-affairs for awhile it really amazed me how entrenched really skewed deep-set beliefs could be (for example- that a democrat can't support the military, or that a republican can't support the environment). Unreal!

Your post is spot-on. I was one of those guys who originally voted republican because I believed in less-spending and less government interference. That republican philosophy has completely changed. I am still an independent but have been voting democratic in recent elections. I will be casting my vote for Obama in the next election hoping for the best.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Is it NH that doesn't have kindergarten?
It's not state mandated, so some towns do and some towns don't. You have to check your town's school setup to see if they do or not.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:24 PM

92 posts, read 242,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Southern NH has become much more of a Massachusetts refuge than it used to be, so I think a lot of political attitudes have simply moved north and over the state line.
I believe there are a significant number of evangelical people, around Concord and so on.
From what I gather of friends in NH, property taxes can be fairly onerous. Also, state services might be fairly minimal. Is it NH that doesn't have kindergarten?

not true actually the south has become more red it is the west which has become more blue

who ever said MA is a role model must have never lived there
there's a reason why people are leaving that state and it is not because of pot holes
the only reason why MA is blue is because voters there never think about what they are voting for

everyone I know wants the borders close
lower taxes, fed up of high taxes for the lazy and illegals
do not want homosexual marriage, even got enough signatures to put the question on the ballot but the legislature made sure the people cannot vote, so much for the tea party
fed up of people not being able to speak English
the list goes on but they still vote for anything with a D at the end

maybe 5 questions should be asked before someone is allowed to vote or they have paid taxes
if they get one wrong then they retake, if they get three test wrong then they go back home and do homework
this way people would know what they are voting for instead of just hearing catchy bumper sticker slogans
maybe raise the voting age to 21 as well

what on earth does most kids know at 18 and have just left high school
no kidding
a girl told me she was voting for bill clinton because he smoked pot
last month a girl told me she wanted obama because her friends are voting for him and he rocks
another boy told me that he wanted change, when asked about change and that change is not always good he said ER, ER, ER ,ER
another boy aged 18 said that we will vote for Obama because he doesn't want to be racist and when I told him about the racist church and racist comments said by him and his associates, he never knew about them
thankfully he actually did some work on this and told me two weeks later that he was shocked and felt duped by his teacher.
seems his teacher was brainwashing the kids at his school, imagine that a geography class talking about obama

how sad
maybe people will do homework and realise in this election that catchy slogans of bumper stickers are just words, maybe they will wake up and realise that there is more than just reading from scripts

we'll see

just read someone say they used to vote republican for small govt and less spending but now will vote obama

all I can say is wow and wow, wow
I suggest you look at his spending and wanting money, infact the 2nd most in the senate and he's only been a senator for one and a half years and still beats the others etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire