Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 AM

161 posts, read 344,627 times

Advertisements

I drove by the old Cherry Hill Genuardi's location this morning, and there is some type of work being done inside. They had both doors wide open, and the place was gutted down to the rafters. There were a number of workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM

421 posts, read 834,759 times
Months ago I heard Whole Foods would be moving there to replace their run down store in Marlton. But I have no idea if that was a careless rumor or not. Hopefully the ShopRite in Marlton can take the old Genuardi's site in Marlton. Rumors are that Walmart will demolish the soon-to-be-empty (maybe with the exception of offices) Kmart/Sears Essentials/A&P/Super Fresh plaza in Marlton. The Super Fresh there is closing this Friday, and the Sears Essentials closed almost three years ago. The Walmart across the street is a dump. I wish Walmart had moved to the ex-Bradlees in Marlton when they had the chance. Kohl's should have taken the old Clover (now an empty Oskar Huber) instead but chose not to. But hey Kohl's has been remodeling a lot of stores lately, so they might move there now.

Also, it's ironic that the original Home Depot in Cherry Hill (just became a Burlington) lasted such a short time before it moved next door, because the Builders Square in Marlton (also a Burlington now) was planned to relocate to a larger store in 1995, but closed for good because the township wouldn't allow it. Ironically Home Depot first opened in Cherry Hill in the late 90's around the same time the Builders Square chain went out of business.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Months ago I heard Whole Foods would be moving there to replace their run down store in Marlton. But I have no idea if that was a careless rumor or not. Hopefully the ShopRite in Marlton can take the old Genuardi's site in Marlton. Rumors are that Walmart will demolish the soon-to-be-empty (maybe with the exception of offices) Kmart/Sears Essentials/A&P/Super Fresh plaza in Marlton. The Super Fresh there is closing this Friday, and the Sears Essentials closed almost three years ago. The Walmart across the street is a dump. I wish Walmart had moved to the ex-Bradlees in Marlton when they had the chance. Kohl's should have taken the old Clover (now an empty Oskar Huber) instead but chose not to. But hey Kohl's has been remodeling a lot of stores lately, so they might move there now.

Also, it's ironic that the original Home Depot in Cherry Hill (just became a Burlington) lasted such a short time before it moved next door, because the Builders Square in Marlton (also a Burlington now) was planned to relocate to a larger store in 1995, but closed for good because the township wouldn't allow it. Ironically Home Depot first opened in Cherry Hill in the late 90's around the same time the Builders Square chain went out of business.
The Whole Foods store in Marlton is run down? Whole Foods expanded that store not too long ago. It doesn't seem run down to me at all.

It'd make zero sense for them to relocate to Ellisburg. A store addition there maybe, but not sacrificing Marlton. The Marlton demographics are much better than west Cherry Hill, and there is less in way of Wegmans competition. The Ellisburg shopping center owner screwed it by giving Dollar Tree one of the end site there. They might as well put in a laundromat back, a Rent A Center, a cash checking place and Cash for Gold. Ok just kidding, but that store might hinder some better stores there.

My only complaint about Whole Foods in Marlton is that it opens the store somewhat late that is 8am. If it opened at 7am, it'd capture more breakfast/coffee sales from commuters going northbound on 73, but I don't think Whole Foods thinks in that way, about more hours or necessarily one specific area of sales. They probably think less staffed hours are better on one some eco friendly, fair trade, quality of life aspect. Anyways, I'm glad they stay open to 10pm. The larger Whole Foods by Plymouth Meeting Mall closes at 9pm which is too early, but that Whole Foods is tucked in the mall lot. The Marlton Whole Foods has great 73 highway access. Even if they moved down south to the Marlton Genuardi's site, there'd be people in the neighborhoods by the current site upset by it. It wouldn't make sense in general to close the store to move elsewhere.

Kohl's had the opportunity to take the Clover site, but chose the Bradlees site, which turned out a very smart move. More traffic with ShopRite and now Petsmart and the wine store. It's also greater separation from the Cherry Hill west store it opened. The Bradlees or Clover sites would have been too small for Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart moving across the street would be interesting but somehow I don't see it happening unless it had the entire plaza and there was space for a SuperCenter. A standalone Walgreens with a newer modified shopping center might be a simpler solution that could work there. I'm sure the landowner would want atleast two major tenants, or one big one like Wal-Mart, for a redevelopment though. Maybe Walgreens and Wawa? I don't know of another chains though. The 70 side there doesn't seem very conducive for a lot of retail like 73.

Last edited by avg12; 01-07-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM

"Jo-Ann Fabric" will be opening at Garden State Pavilions at the former "Old Navy" store next to "Ross". There are signs up advertising an opening for Spring 2013. That center needs all the tenants it can get.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
"Jo-Ann Fabric" will be opening at Garden State Pavilions at the former "Old Navy" store next to "Ross". There are signs up advertising an opening for Spring 2013. That center needs all the tenants it can get.
Is Jo Ann keeping their Westmont store and adding this store, or is this a relocation of it?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM

Relocating according to the website called "Patch"...

Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM

Sorry to double post, but I have more to add. Do any of you remember how bad the Clementon area used to look? There were two abandoned retail sites that were in horrible condition until relatively recently when they were both demolished. I'm so glad the old Acme/Woolco/Grant City shopping center is gone, torn down for housing, and a Wawa was built where an old A&P and later IGA market was until a fire years and years ago. This site looked creepy even after the building was gone, because there still were run down-looking streetlights in what used to be the parking lot, and ugly empty sign frames by the street, until the site was cleared.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
I drove by the old Cherry Hill Genuardi's location this morning, and there is some type of work being done inside. They had both doors wide open, and the place was gutted down to the rafters. There were a number of workers.
From here:
http://www.federalrealty.com/media/p..._Site_Plan.pdf

It still shows it as available. What's interesting is there is a future phase, and a lot behind Breakers/Playdrome that is unused. It'd be kinda out of the box, but I'd try to lure Target into the place even if it means clearing out other stores by buying out leases or relocation assistance. The west side of Cherry Hill seems dense enough to support two Targets like Springfield, PA which has two so closeby together. And, it'd be a great location for Target.

Stein Mart and Buy Buy Baby could relocate to East Gate Sq. and the Breakers bowling/gaming could to Plaza at Cherry Hill and Marlton, and Dollar Tree to the Floors USA space for a Marlton like store. But some stores could stay depending on how the plaza was configured.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM

It seems that spare area of Ellisburg is being used for solar panels. Nevermind that idea.

I noticed the Sagemore mall in Marlton is pretty weak by the LL Bean end. GUESS is gone, and Boss is gone. I havent kept up but that side has always been weaker but this is the weakest that I've seen this mall. I noticed Plow & Hearth opened up there however.

At one time Echelon Mall had The Limited, NY&Co, Express and Disney Store to name a few.

It'd be interesting to see if PREIT can recoup these stores in Voorhees or if Sagemore can attract these more middle tier stores. American Eagle (middle tier) joined Sagemore and that seems to be the best direction for the weaker end of the plaza.

A number of upscale restaurants are opening in the Voorhees Town Ctr in Spring. Interesting to see if it helps the inside of the mall.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
From here:
http://www.federalrealty.com/media/p..._Site_Plan.pdf

It still shows it as available.
A recent Courier Post article quotes a township spokesperson as saying "We’re waiting to see what happens with the Genuardi’s...." so I think it is still available as well.

Maybe they are completely renovating it to better attract a tenant? After all it is an old store. The day I drove by when it's doors were open, I think there was a HVAC van out front. But there was definitely more going on in there than just that. Even if you drive by it when the doors are closed, you can see through the windows above the doors that the ceiling is completely opened up. (The only windows on the store not covered up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
It seems that spare area of Ellisburg is being used for solar panels. Nevermind that idea.
Yeah, I think that happened this past year if I am not mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia