Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times

Advertisements

Since there are obvious anti-Christie campaigners on this board, I figured I would counter with a positive thread title about Christie.

State workers call him a "bully", but they dont tell you that to them, a bully is anyone who actually FOLLOWS THROUGH with what they say they are going to do. All of our previous governors in recent years made promises in their campaigns, only to immediately become part of the corrupt political machine in Trenton.

Even Corzine, who was supposed to be "too rich" to be bought off ended up part of the machine. He gave away OUR money to his girlfriend. After all, he didn't want to "Play Scrooge" with our money.

Then you had McGreevy, who added so many new taxes, I thought he was going to tax the air. I mean, taxing GYM MEMBERSHIPS! How freaking counterproductive is that? You save a lot more money buy having healthy state residents. But there were so many new taxes under McGreevy, it could make your head spin.

Then there was Whitman who, like all neocons, thought you can spend like a democrat, and just borrow the money from future generations.

Before that there was Jim Florio, who taxed NJ residents so badly that they voted in a neoconservative Republican the next time around.

Kean wasn't too bad, but now we are going back more than 20 years.

So sure, Christie isn't perfect, but he is a heck of a lot closer to perfect than anyone else who ran the state in the last 21 years. It would be a shame to replace him with someone who will go on increasing our debt, and interest payments on that debt to levels where we have to ask the federal government for a bailout. Of course, they may be too broke to give us a bailout, and then we are REALLY up a creek. Good luck selling your house for half of it's current value, because everyone will be trying to move out of the state and nobody will be moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 05:36 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
While I'm not completely crazy about Christie, I do like how he is trying to immediately stop the policies of past administrations and get a hold on the NJ budget. We saw nothing but huge increasing budgets from the past governors. Christie is actually doing pretty amazing getting things done considering he's got to deal with the past NJ democratic union bought politicians.

Its interesting to see polls on Christie...the majority of ones I've seen pretty much average out to 50/50 on whether you like him or not. It goes to show you how polarized NJ is.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
While I'm not completely crazy about Christie, I do like how he is trying to immediately stop the policies of past administrations and get a hold on the NJ budget. We saw nothing but huge increasing budgets from the past governors. Christie is actually doing pretty amazing getting things done considering he's got to deal with the past NJ democratic union bought politicians.

Its interesting to see polls on Christie...the majority of ones I've seen pretty much average out to 50/50 on whether you like him or not. It goes to show you how polarized NJ is.
50/50 is pretty good, considering the massive campaign that is being waged against him. You cant watch TV for more than an hour without seeing one of those NJEA-sponsored ads against Christie. Then you have all the state workers on these public forums who are only really worried about their own bottom line and could care less about the state.

***Residents of NJ, please dont let the state workers trick you into going back to the status quo. NJ can become the best state in the nation, or it can become another Greece or Portugal.

In Greece, the government jobs are the good jobs to have. You only work in the private sector if you dont have the connections to get a government job. People there retire at a very young age and collect a very nice pension for decades. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE BANKRUPT! It does not take a genius to figure out if you have more people who "earn" tax dollars than people who pay them, you are not going to last very long.

Dont let the state workers pull the wool over your eyes!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
I agree...you almost know he has to be doing a decent job when the NJEA is spending loads of money campaigning against him. But all that money is for the kids right??

Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I agree...you almost know he has to be doing a decent job when the NJEA is spending loads of money campaigning against him. But all that money is for the kids right??
I think Christie is doing a decent job. Some good ideas just not enough of a politician to actually get things accomplished.
Regarding the NJEA lets not confuse teachers and the union. They are 100% different. The teachers are out to make a living and help children. The NJEA by definition is out to protect and help its members. NOt really sure I have a problem with that. Its what this country is based off. Money is power pure and simple.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 AM

239 posts, read 467,931 times
Christie is truly a breathe of fresh air and something the state of NJ sorely needed. He could easily sit back like the past 5 governors have done and act like everything is great and there's no need for change. That's what's great about this guy, he calls it like it is, with no B.S. spin mixed in. This state like many others is headed for major problems unless something is drastically done to correct it's problems. NJ property taxes are the highest in the nation and unless something changes on all levels, things will get worse instead of better. The people across this state need to support this guy, because he's trying to make it a better place for all of us to live.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Who was the first governor to get health care givebacks and changes to the pension plan?

Christie Whitman was a neo-conservative?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Let's remember too, Christie doesn't have a Legislature behind him. If he did, there would be even bigger change going on. I admire him because he says what he really thinks, whether you like it or not.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Ann- is this letter sent to cops, firemen and teachers saying what he really thinks?

As one of New Jersey's bravest, you put your life on the line each and every day to protect your community. Every New Jerseyan owes you a debt of gratitude for your commitment and sacrifice. You deserve a governor who will stand with you no matter what, and ensure you have the tools and resources to do your job. Recently, you may have heard rumors about my position regarding firefighter pensions and health benefits. These claims are a blatant attempt to swing your vote to Governor Corzine. The notion that I would eliminate, change, or alter your pension is not only a lie, but cannot be further from the truth. Your pension and benefits will be protected when I am elected Governor. I spent the last seven years in law enforcement as the US Attorney for New Jersey. I worked day in and day out with the men and women on the front lines who dedicate themselves to keeping families and communities safe. No one respects what you do more than I do and no one will stand up for you more than I will. The safety of our citizens is the governor's number one priority, which is why I can say that will be my number one priority. I will make sure that you have the resources and the training you need to effectively do your job. Do not believe the lies Governor Corzine is spreading. They are a disgraceful attempt to scare and intimidate you, and they do every New Jerseyan a disservice. While I have put forward proposals to cut taxes and cut spending so we can bring change to New Jersey to make it more affordable for families, I have repeated time and time again that the pension agreement made with our firefighters must be respected. It is a sacred trust. Nothing will change for the pensions of current firefighters, future firefighters or retirees in a Christie Administration. I respectfully ask for your vote this November 3rd. If you choose to vote for another candidate, I hope you will do so based on the facts and their vision for the future, not because of misinformation spread by my opponent. Thank you for your consideration and for your service.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Who was the first governor to get health care givebacks and changes to the pension plan?

Christie Whitman was a neo-conservative?
Absolutely!

She was as bad, if not WORSE than a democrat. Nobody is denying that borrowing is even worse than taxing. A REAL conservative, or a paleoconservative borrows and taxes as little as needed, and reduces government waste as much as possible. It seems that is what Christie is trying to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey