Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
My brother and I were both "axers". LOL. My parents were pretty strict too (my dad was on Jeopardy! , he was quite smart), but the accent was thick. I was forced to take speech therapy in college. Between that and getting out of Bayonne, people now can't believe I live in NJ based on my speech. Same with my brother.
u really ashamed of yo roots huh, thats not very good
im not sayin u gotta talk like DAT, but daMN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
If I wanted to graduate, I had to take the therapy. It's really a no brainer (at least for someone who wanted to be successful).

Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
my dad was on Jeopardy! , he was quite smart

Hmmmm...I think that I might remember him.
Was he a Port Authority police officer?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,374 times
Quote:
no offense dude, but with vernacular like that, for you, the answer's probably no.
Repped.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
truly a Fool, regardless of the age of the school.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:

so her roots are related to speaking bad english? i dont think that a person trying to better themselves means they are ashamed of their roots.

you are younger than me, but you arent exactly a child anymore. i seem to think 25 or so. you are getting too old to be so immature. i got married when i was 25. you think my wife would be with me if i talked like you? i wouldnt want to be with her if she would have been ok with it.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 12-01-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so her roots are related to speaking bad english? i dont think that a person trying to better themselves means they are ashamed of their roots.

you are younger than me, but you arent exactly a child anymore. i seem to think 25 or so. you are getting too old to be so immature. i got married when i was 25. you think my wife would be with me if i talked like you? i wouldnt want to be with her if she would have been ok with it.
taking speech therapy jus to sound WASPY, yea a person musta been ashamed, im not sayin if u sound ghetto as hell then u shouldnt change it, but to have some kinda accent is not a big deal
what makes u think all women are like yo wife and why would i wan be with yo wife anyway if shes like you
shiiii, maybe only for one night if shes good looking

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
what makes u think all women are like yo wife and why would i wan be with yo wife anyway if shes like you
maybe only for one night if shes good looking
all women are definitely not like my wife. but as people get older and become responsible adults, most women want nothing to do with someone who takes pride in speaking like a person of very low intelligence.

it wont really matter what you want to be with. you behave like the lowest common denominator, you will end up taking whatever will accept you.

i was watching intervention with my wife the other day. this alcoholic girl had a very sleazy boyfriend. my wife commented on him. i said that when you are an alcoholic, you arent exactly a great catch yourself so you take what you can get. ultimately, if you dont wise up you will be in a similar position.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
all women are definitely not like my wife. but as people get older and become responsible adults, most women want nothing to do with someone who takes pride in speaking like a person of very low intelligence.

it wont really matter what you want to be with. you behave like the lowest common denominator, you will end up taking whatever will accept you.

i was watching intervention with my wife the other day. this alcoholic girl had a very sleazy boyfriend. my wife commented on him. i said that when you are an alcoholic, you arent exactly a great catch yourself so you take what you can get. ultimately, if you dont wise up you will be in a similar position.
thats you, i pick my women, not the other way around
and "most" women dont like ultraconservative, uptight, corny, snobby thinkin they know it alls, u mite think they like u, but they only like what u got
im an individual, i think and speak how i want, if someone doesnt like it, they can get out the way
if U dont like whats goin on...u betta get used to it

Ice Cube Ft The Game & Wc Get Used To it - YouTube

Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
I don't understand why you guys are ragging on OleSchool. I think he has proved that he is intelligent and contributes a lot to this board. A dialect isn't "bad English," it's a dialect. It's as simple as that, ask any linguist. Obviously, there are cases where speaking in a dialect or with an accent is not appropriate, and OleSchool has already stated that he is well aware of those situations and has no problem code-switching as necessary. The City Data forum is definitely not one of those cases.

Instead of putting him down and claiming you are more mature than him and perceiving him to be of lower intelligence than you, I suggest that people actually comment on the content of his posts rather than the way he presents them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey