Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:03 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
than what comparables?
similar homes throughout the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I looked in South Jersey before retiring to NC and without getting into specifics it was not for us.
Having been born and raised in South Jersey and living there most of my life, I think the only thing I take exception to is painting the entire area with a broad brush as if it wasn't a rather diverse place in terms of towns and communities. It's like me driving through Linden and then pronouncing all of North Jersey, "not for me". There are plenty of areas of South Jersey I would never live and you really aren't going to offend me with anything you say. Before I really looked into the Swedesboro area, I would have never considered it, but now we love it. I just have an issue if people base their opinion or decision on generalities and stereotypes and paint the entire southern part of the state with a broad brush. You have to remember it contains places as wildly opposing as Salem/Vineland and Moorestown/Cherry Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Good to know, thanks.
Do South Jersians root for Devils or Flyers?
If someone works in Philly, what are pros/cons to living in South Jers vs PA?
In terms of sports, the vast majority in South Jersey are Philly sports fans. Some people root for the Devils, but it's definitely a small minority. You can't even get the Devils on TV unless you pay for the NHL package.

In terms of working in Philly and living in Jersey, there are some benefits. Most areas of South Jersey have easier access to Philly then many of the PA suburbs. Especially when you are looking for good schools and more affordable housing. There are some minor tax benefits in that if you work in Philly you pay city wage tax. NJ lets you deduct what you pay in city wage tax from your NJ state tax liability, so that becomes a wash for most people. The downside is having to pay to get into the city everyday. The bridges, with one exception, all have a $5 toll and there is only one mass transit option the PATCO train and that runs around $5.20 or so depending on where you pick it up from. Property taxes are variable, but most find that the cost in the main PA suburbs near Philly are pretty similar to those in most areas of South Jersey.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
similar homes throughout the state
WHAT?!

my town is more expensive than Irvington
my town is less expensive than Alpine

Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Good to know, thanks.
Do South Jersians root for Devils or Flyers?
If someone works in Philly, what are pros/cons to living in South Jers vs PA?
Flyers, Phillies, Eagles and 76ers! I don't know about the pros/cons of NJ vs. PA, I would guess it depends where in PA and where in south Jersey. I know I wouldn't want to have to take the SureKill expressway every day, which you'd probably take if you lived out in the burbs of Pa. Also you stated you wanted less crowded and more affordable, which can certainly be found in PA but those areas are not going to be anywhere near Philly.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:41 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,445 times
Check out Montville, Kinnelon, Butler area. Pretty suburban, taxes better than essex and you have the outside chance of a bear wadering through your yard.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
WHAT?!

my town is more expensive than Irvington
my town is less expensive than Alpine

I expected you to say something like that.
You never get anything I say, and you're the only one in this thread who doesn't, just let go.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
Check out Montville, Kinnelon, Butler area. Pretty suburban, taxes better than essex and you have the outside chance of a bear wadering through your yard.
I actually saw Montville on some "best places to live" list. Is it that good? lol Some of these best list places are not that good and actually overrated. I don't know about NJ ones, just from what I saw in other states.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Is Central NJ much less congested than NE or not that much?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM

^

Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Your best bet is South Jersey.
Northwest New Jersey is cheap,but it isn't as diverse as South Jersey.

I like South Jersey,even though I'm from North Jersey,Essex County to be exact.
The housing and taxes are comparable to North Carolina.
The same people snubbing South Jersey are the same people who would move to Nc in a minute.
Having lived in both,in my honest,honest opinion, south Jersey is so similiar to Nc,at times I feel as if I am in Nc.
I can drive 5 minutes from my house and see farms,and there is so much green and trees,parks,etc.
The bonus? You are in the middle of 2 great cities,depending on where you are in south Jersey.
You could either head into Nyc or Philly.
Others can head into Philly,Baltimore,or Washington D.C.

South Jersey(the Western part anyway,forget the shore) is Nj's best kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey