Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,495,633 times

Advertisements

i have to be honest, when i left and came back that exits 9 and 11 actually did have an odor, but then that was it--and because of 2 exits on the tnpk, the whole state stinks??? come one people!
i think NJ has the best of many worlds: city, farmland, beaches, mountains...
come and see and then if you really dont like it, you have the right to your opinion---but to just say "i hate people from NJ"--when you actually havent met any?!
DUH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 07:32 AM

45 posts, read 152,881 times
and we all wonder why ...the country is in the state it is ...half of them don't realize there's another world besides the USA...they don't listen , read the news/current events....( and I don't mean CNN) we vote people in who are not even in touch with our reality ..they don't have to worry about paying for health care or the quality of public school but the represent us ..Go figure ...Most of us watch TV and think thats the reality ...Its not only ther housing bubble thats popping many more bubbles we live in will pop .....

Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,899,561 times
Interesting although not suprising what people think of NJ. Generally we are not portrayed well in the media and unfortunately middle america seems to believe what they see...ahh so sad. However I had cousins that lived in Brooklyn and whenever they came to NJ they called it "going to the country". We lived in South Orange...never thought of South Orange as the Country but compared to Brooklyn I guess we were.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:28 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
That's why traveling is so beneficial- instead of "learning" about a place from watching The Sopranos, you'd actually get to see firsthand what New Jersey is. Then people would know that the Turnpike doesn't catch fire- that people merely drive on it as if they were on fire.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,366,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Interesting although not suprising what people think of NJ. Generally we are not portrayed well in the media and unfortunately middle america seems to believe what they see...ahh so sad. However I had cousins that lived in Brooklyn and whenever they came to NJ they called it "going to the country". We lived in South Orange...never thought of South Orange as the Country but compared to Brooklyn I guess we were.
Agreed. The only time I really get positive responses/reactions about NJ/moving to NJ would either be while I'm visiting up there, or from other people who have lived there (and even less commonly, those who fell in love, but didn't move to).

Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
lol @ OP. Once I was in NC and I when I told someone I was from NJ, the response was, "That's in New York, right?" And recently someone from Missouri asked me, "Does New Jersey have any beaches?" I am doing my best to educate!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:58 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,505 times
I have never gotten extreme reactions like some of you in my many travels. Before 10 years ago I did not travel much so maybe it is the timeframe. Definitely in the south there is a weird thing but it tends to be more the "your a yankee" thing.

Definitely the joke "what exit?" but that is from people from NY almost always. Since I did not drive for most of my life I don't know the exits. LOL. I really don't remember them from when I was a kid. I guess I've been lucky to move in circles where people really don't care. I have a sense of humor so I don't mind at all. Well maybe a little if it is someone from Long Island I would have to have a comeback line. Long Island is endless burbs just like most of NJ so I don't get the joke. They know we don't all live in the Oil Tank farms.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:17 PM

93 posts, read 307,508 times
Default Nj

Yes, since I am a born and bred NJ girl who moved to Texas, I get the same kind of thing living down here in Texas. I don't get it from the Texans so much as from the people from Nebraska or Missouri. They always asked me how it was to grow up in the mob state of NJ. I then whip out my Jersey shore pictures and it takes their breath away how nice NJ looks.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:36 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
HG - hilarious post!

I only had one incident in my traveling days from some broad in Indiana. You must come across as someone people feel comfortable saying whatever stupid sh** they think of. LOL

The sheer ignorance is mind boggling.

I had a friend visit me from the DC area (originally from P'burgh) and I had her drive up through Oldwick/Tewksbury and she was absolutely dumbfounded with how beautiful it was, she absolutely had the "refinery" mindset.

I guess all we can do educate the masses, one at a time, LOL.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:00 PM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
7 years ago my Aunt and Uncle through an engagement party for my wife and I at their house in Bernardsville. We had out of town guests stay at the Bernard's Inn. One of my best friends and his fiance came down from Boston. It just happens that he was being transferred to NYC and they needed to move soon. I remember him saying to his fiance how beautiful it is in Bernardsville, and how he loves the Inn and the Town and the houses. She responded, "we aren't moving to NJ!" He went on again about the beauty of the area and she said, "I don't care, I just cant live in NJ."

I was a little bit insulted, but hey, this state is too crowded as it is, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey