Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 02:32 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
That pretty much describes my situation to a tee. It is not everyone's paradise.

I say just move. Honestly if you dont like something do something about it. Family is great and all but its not like you would move to Russia. Move to a state close enough to drive in every once in a while. That way your have family and you get away from your dreaded NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 03:39 PM

105 posts, read 234,869 times
welll, I am planning to move this summer. The problem is if your starting out in your career you have to live in a low income neighborhood. I applied to become a teacher in the state of Florida and possibly do my masters program out there.. But New Jersey is tired, So is New York! New York poor is getting poorer and it's only fun for people who are making well over 1million a year! New Jersey is a cheap carbon copy of New York!!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,981 times
I have moved out of NJ several years ago due to the ever increasing in real estate tax, tolls, and the governments. My family is likely to move out of NJ in the three years when the economy rebound.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,640,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I say just move. Honestly if you dont like something do something about it. Family is great and all but its not like you would move to Russia. Move to a state close enough to drive in every once in a while. That way your have family and you get away from your dreaded NJ.
Yes, I am planning to move, as my first post explained.

It's not that much of a family issue; I was simply agreeing with the poster I quoted in that there are other factors at play which make just picking up and moving on a whim much more difficult than it sounds.

For me though, there's no bond, human or divine, that could keep me in the NYC metropolitan area for much longer. I absolutely have nothing but contempt for that overcrowded city and its suburbs in New York (state), Connecticut, and New Jersey (one of which I have the misfortune of living in).

Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,352,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There is also plenty of us who are not forced to move, but often consider it simply because the tax burden is so high that we could live much better lifestyles in other states. I know for us, family is the only thing that keeps us here.
I see. For me, moving too far from the ocean would be horrible and going further south would be...well...miserable. I hear many testimonials about the "good life" in the Carolinas and other southern states, but the bottom line is it's just too darned hot. My first choice before Cape May County was the New England coast - which is thoroughly unaffordable. CMC is an enthusiastic second for beauty, housing, lifestyle, beach - just wish it were cooler.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsrn View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to DE upon retirement. We probably have about 6 years to go. NJ is just too expensive. DE is attractive due to its low taxes. Now if we just knew WHERE in DE to go?
We looked at DE but found using a COL calculator that it wasn't such a bargain. One big drawback you need to keep in mind is there are a lot of leasehold properties, which means you pay someone every month to rent the property even though you own the house.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
If your will to move into a UEZ area then you should be fine , taxes are lower there and many of areas are Car-Free zones , meaning you don't need a car. But many ppl don't know this our are ignorant and don't want to live in the urban areas becuz of stereotypes and far of crime.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:38 PM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I see. For me, moving too far from the ocean would be horrible and going further south would be...well...miserable. I hear many testimonials about the "good life" in the Carolinas and other southern states, but the bottom line is it's just too darned hot. My first choice before Cape May County was the New England coast - which is thoroughly unaffordable. CMC is an enthusiastic second for beauty, housing, lifestyle, beach - just wish it were cooler.
The only place that is an option for me is maybe CT, which is pretty bad, but maybe a little better. I really dont need to see family so much, but I have 3 young kids, so I guess I will continue getting robbed so they can be near their grandparents and cousins. As I said, CT is close enough, and it is even closer to my beach house, which I dont want to have to sell, again for the kids. Sure, there are other beaches with other houses on them, but nothing like where we are now. So I am willing to see if Christie delivers on his promise to lower taxes FOR EVERYBODY, and if not, I may move to CT just out of disgust and maybe a little spite.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:54 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Ive been looking for a home to retire to for the last few years which is how I arrived on City Data. After a tiring search after 100's and 100's hours of searching we determined to stay in southern ocean county of NJ.. We can buy a 3,200 ft. house for between 275 and 300 and be 10-15 minutes from Long Beach Island. Taxes a little of 5K a year and still be close to friends and family. And of course in the summer family and friends will want to visit and use the free beach passes. We looked extensively in Sussex County, Delaware same distance to the ocean a comparible house is about 100K MORE but taxes were only 1,500 to 2,000 a year. So to save 3K on property taxes cost me 100K more for a house. Many homes did not have natural gas and were heated with electric heat pumps. We checked the carolinas and didn't get the feel of being wanted because us yanks have flooded the area and the locals complain that we are the cause of there ills. Florida was out as a full time residence. So for now this JERSEY MAN and his wife has made the decision to stay in our birthplace and probably die here.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:29 PM

409 posts, read 874,218 times
Default From NJ to TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
To all that are moving soon, please do come back here on the NJ forum and let us know how you adjusted, do you like it, your opinions of where you picked to live. I often wonder if we picked a suburb of a city somewhere else would we have stayed and loved it? We picked definately the middle of nowhere. So please keep us informed after the move too!!!!
I lived in NJ for about 13 years before I was laid off. Since my old employer would paid for my relocation as part of the package, I decided to move to Texas. And I really like it.

For one thing, people really are friendlier. I remember being taken aback the first time I went to the grocery store. The cashier actually looked me in the eye, smiled, and said "have a nice day". I like that I don't have to shovel snow and the buildings are not right on top of each other. And the cost of living is some much cheaper. If I could pick up the house, totally new house, and drop it in my old neighborhood, it would cost 3 or 4 times what I paid for it in Texas.

Don't get me wrong. I liked NJ when I was living there. If I did not get laid off I still be there. I never thought about moving to Texas until a couple of months before I actually moved. But now I cannot see myself ever moving back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey