Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 07:57 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Ive been looking for a home to retire to for the last few years which is how I arrived on City Data. After a tiring search after 100's and 100's hours of searching we determined to stay in southern ocean county of NJ.. We can buy a 3,200 ft. house for between 275 and 300 and be 10-15 minutes from Long Beach Island. Taxes a little of 5K a year and still be close to friends and family. And of course in the summer family and friends will want to visit and use the free beach passes. We looked extensively in Sussex County, Delaware same distance to the ocean a comparible house is about 100K MORE but taxes were only 1,500 to 2,000 a year. So to save 3K on property taxes cost me 100K more for a house. Many homes did not have natural gas and were heated with electric heat pumps. We checked the carolinas and didn't get the feel of being wanted because us yanks have flooded the area and the locals complain that we are the cause of there ills. Florida was out as a full time residence. So for now this JERSEY MAN and his wife has made the decision to stay in our birthplace and probably die here.
I worked in SOCH for a couple of months as a temp job while I was between jobs up here. From your posts, I can tell that YOU are normal, but man, a lot of the locals down there are a little...how should I say....off. And I had more difficult intubations in my 2 months at SOCH than I have in the whole rest of my career combined. I dont know what to chalk it up to other than inbreeding. lol. I'm sure there are plenty of normal people down there too, but I have to say, my experience there was very surreal. I mean, 13 year old girls going outside for a smoke with mom....and that reminds me...an inordinate amount of lung tumor surgeries. Anyway, that was 10 years ago. I'm sure it is different now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
We bought in NC from Hudson County. DH and kids moved down (they love it) and I commute back and forth until I can sell. It's not the best situation but there are many like me. I meet them at the airport. I love NC and the moment I get back up here, I'm counting the hours 'til my next trip.

I've met so many from NJ down there, even my next door neighbor is from Jersey City and graduated from the same school that my son just graduated from. When we were making weekend trips to look at homes, most of the people in the hotels were from Jersey. Everyone gathers in the lobby to meet with realtors. There were many from Long Island as well. Everyone said weather and taxes was bringing them down. Being from Hudson County, our auto insurance was 8k and now it's less than 3k for five. Our taxes are the same (6k) but we went from an old 2,000 sf home to a new one over 5,000 sf. My family doesn't miss much since it's easy to come and visit. Jet Blue to/from RDU/JFK can range from $29 to $79. My kids take advantage of the specials and have already visited several times for long weekends. I leave Mondays at 6:00 AM and I'm sitting at my desk in the city by 8:30. This is all worth it for us. I just want to sell so I can start enjoying my new life.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:13 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Yes, I am planning to move, as my first post explained.

It's not that much of a family issue; I was simply agreeing with the poster I quoted in that there are other factors at play which make just picking up and moving on a whim much more difficult than it sounds.

For me though, there's no bond, human or divine, that could keep me in the NYC metropolitan area for much longer. I absolutely have nothing but contempt for that overcrowded city and its suburbs in New York (state), Connecticut, and New Jersey (one of which I have the misfortune of living in).
Very good for you. Best of luck wherever you decide to go and may the grass be greener.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
We bought in NC from Hudson County. DH and kids moved down (they love it) and I commute back and forth until I can sell. It's not the best situation but there are many like me. I meet them at the airport. I love NC and the moment I get back up here, I'm counting the hours 'til my next trip.

I've met so many from NJ down there, even my next door neighbor is from Jersey City and graduated from the same school that my son just graduated from. When we were making weekend trips to look at homes, most of the people in the hotels were from Jersey. Everyone gathers in the lobby to meet with realtors. There were many from Long Island as well. Everyone said weather and taxes was bringing them down. Being from Hudson County, our auto insurance was 8k and now it's less than 3k for five. Our taxes are the same (6k) but we went from an old 2,000 sf home to a new one over 5,000 sf. My family doesn't miss much since it's easy to come and visit. Jet Blue to/from RDU/JFK can range from $29 to $79. My kids take advantage of the specials and have already visited several times for long weekends. I leave Mondays at 6:00 AM and I'm sitting at my desk in the city by 8:30. This is all worth it for us. I just want to sell so I can start enjoying my new life.
You're still working up here? Do you have job options in NC?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 PM

I haven't checked but right now I need my NY salary. Once I sell, I plan to take a year off. I'm hopeful...also willing to rent for the right price.

Last edited by amcjap; 02-07-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Ive been looking for a home to retire to for the last few years which is how I arrived on City Data. After a tiring search after 100's and 100's hours of searching we determined to stay in southern ocean county of NJ.. We can buy a 3,200 ft. house for between 275 and 300 and be 10-15 minutes from Long Beach Island. Taxes a little of 5K a year and still be close to friends and family. And of course in the summer family and friends will want to visit and use the free beach passes. We looked extensively in Sussex County, Delaware same distance to the ocean a comparible house is about 100K MORE but taxes were only 1,500 to 2,000 a year. So to save 3K on property taxes cost me 100K more for a house. Many homes did not have natural gas and were heated with electric heat pumps. We checked the carolinas and didn't get the feel of being wanted because us yanks have flooded the area and the locals complain that we are the cause of there ills. Florida was out as a full time residence. So for now this JERSEY MAN and his wife has made the decision to stay in our birthplace and probably die here.
Good For you!! I had no idea you could get a house that size in Ocean County for that price. That's even cheaper than CMC. Any semi-rural areas with a bit of ground in that area? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:58 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Very good for you. Best of luck wherever you decide to go and may the grass be greener.
Thank you.

I apologize if my response to your post came off as nasty. Sometimes on this site it's hard to distinguish between those wishing me well and those attacking me. I only recently received an attacking DM, just a few hours ago, calling me a "redneck" and filled with profanity.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 AM

149 posts, read 275,446 times
We just moved back from NC- my husband was laid off and he couldn't find a job down there. Keep your job up here as long as you can. Goodluck down there.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
I think NJ is the only state forum in C-D where you will find so many people "planning" to move away and yet somehow never, ever actually doing it. I can understand someone who lives in East Bumville out in the boonies of Louisiana or Nebraska being "stuck" there due to a low-paying job and little, if any, equity in his or her home. That's "stuck", when you can't move someplace that is more expensive.

Yet here, in the NJ forum, you have people making more than those in other parts of the nation, with homes that are worth much more than the homes in those other parts of the nation, many of whom could buy a home in cash someplace else with just the equity in their NJ homes, and they claim to be 'stuck' here.

We hear over and over and over how people "want" to move out of NJ, they bemoan it day and night, ad nauseum, yet it rarely, if ever, comes to pass. Basically - they speak louder with their actions than their words. They can say all they want that they want to move out of NJ, but by never doing so, they reveal themselves to be nothing but talkers and phonies, miserable whiners who are just looking to blame something (in this case NJ) for their victimization.

That phenomenon actually speaks much more loudly about how much better NJ is than other states than the words of the complainers speak about how much worse NJ is than other states.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevaNYka View Post
We just moved back from NC- my husband was laid off and he couldn't find a job down there. Keep your job up here as long as you can. Goodluck down there.

Thanks. I'm sorry it didn't work out for your family. I don't think I could ever come back to Jersey. It's taken me way too long to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey