Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM

271 posts, read 1,019,579 times

Advertisements

I don't even have lots of family in NJ but I still wouldn't want to move away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 03:42 PM

456 posts, read 833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
That's the problem, only other city like NYC would be Chicago if you can take the cold
I prefer NYC much more than Chicago. More opportunity, more diversity, closer to Europe, and plus knowing a lot of people in NYC area.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM

97 posts, read 203,019 times
Leaving NJ as soon as I can afford to!

And it's not to NC or Florida either.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,526,452 times
Looking to do so by the end of 2012....

because with all seriousness, I CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
I prefer NYC much more than Chicago. More opportunity, more diversity, closer to Europe, and plus knowing a lot of people in NYC area.
And Chicago is flat broke...they're on the brink of financial ruin from the all the give-a-ways to the Unions. Not to mention super violent city.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,622,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Not trying to tell you how to be a good parent

BUT seriously, moving a 16 YEAR OLD KID is not a good idea ever, no matter what the circumstances, especially if it is from NYC metro to prairieland

I agree with you.........not a good idea!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:15 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,214 times
There is no utopia. Anywhere you go is going to have some downfalls. I like the country like in upstate NY, but to retire there just doesn't make sense. I am staying in my urban suburb of NJ with low property taxes and walkable restaurants, supermarkets, and shopping. What can I say, I really like where I live and I can afford it. To each their own. Most people would hate where I live because you know, diversity is such a scary thing for most white people.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:18 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
There is no utopia. Anywhere you go is going to have some downfalls. I like the country like in upstate NY, but to retire there just doesn't make sense. I am staying in my urban suburb of NJ with low property taxes and walkable restaurants, supermarkets, and shopping. What can I say, I really like where I live and I can afford it. To each their own. Most people would hate where I live because you know, diversity is such a scary thing for most white people.
I live in a leafy suburb in Central Jersey and neither neighbor on either side of me is white. One family is black, one Asian. You don't have to live in an urban setting to find diversity in NJ.

And how do you know how most white people feel anyway? If all the white people you know believe that diversity is scary, maybe you need to hang out with different people.

But back to your initial remark, I agree. Someone I know said that I should think about moving to New York state when I retire because our pension isn't taxable in New York and it is in New Jersey. So great, I move somewhere where I don't know a soul, don't know the area, can't find anything to do...but I'll save a few hundred bucks a year.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And how do you know how most white people feel anyway? If all the white people you know believe that diversity is scary, maybe you need to hang out with different people.
Ever hear of White Flight? Yeah, not many white folk living in Passaic anymore (except for the orthodox Jewish community)

Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Ever hear of White Flight? Yeah, not many white folk living in Passaic anymore (except for the orthodox Jewish community)
I've never known Passaic to be anything but a dump, so I can't comment on that specifically. And yes, there are still enclaves in this state where the areas are almost all white, and yes, there are outright racist people living in this state, too. But we are a generation past the White Flight of the 1960s, and while everything is still far from equal, there are many more middle-class black people than there were in 1965 and those people are living in the suburbs and for the most part, are welcome to be there.

I just bristle a bit when I see attributes assigned to an entire group of people as you did; e.g., all white people are like THIS, all black people do THAT, etc. People are individuals, and the idea of the majority of white people rushing out to sell their houses the minute a black person moves into the neighborhood is an outdated idea.

On a personal note, I moved INTO a neighborhood where black people already resided next door. And I have Malaysians on the other side. (I replaced elderly Koreans). Many of us PREFER a diverse area.I did a driveby on weekends before I bought there to see what kind of neighbors I had, and both immediate neighbors appeared to be family-oriented people from what I could see (and I was correct.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey