Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times

Advertisements

This just in:

Quote:
When reached for comment at the Pearly Gates, God stated, "I only really cover the area west of 287 and north of 78, hence the term "God's Country."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,089 times
What North NJ needs along with the rest of the USA is INFRASTRUCTURE!!!! People complain about traffic, but don't want to spend the money ie:taxes!!! These sorts of improvements cost money, the 2 tubes that NJ transit AND Amtrak use are over 100yrs old and need extensive repairs. CC nixed the proposed tunnel into midtown and took the money from that and spent it elsewhere. If and when "american dream" or whatever it's called opens in the Meadowlands traffic will be a nightmare, particularly if there is also an event in the stadium, yet there is NO rail link there. There's to old saying, you have to spend money to make money. If there really is this desire for NJ to grow, there has to be a better mass transit system. If you consider that NJ is the most densely populated state in the US and consider North NJ is at least as densely populated as some of the boroughs of NY why don't we have better transit?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:21 AM

789 posts, read 703,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
What North NJ needs along with the rest of the USA is INFRASTRUCTURE!!!! People complain about traffic, but don't want to spend the money ie:taxes!!! These sorts of improvements cost money, the 2 tubes that NJ transit AND Amtrak use are over 100yrs old and need extensive repairs. CC nixed the proposed tunnel into midtown and took the money from that and spent it elsewhere. If and when "american dream" or whatever it's called opens in the Meadowlands traffic will be a nightmare, particularly if there is also an event in the stadium, yet there is NO rail link there. There's to old saying, you have to spend money to make money. If there really is this desire for NJ to grow, there has to be a better mass transit system. If you consider that NJ is the most densely populated state in the US and consider North NJ is at least as densely populated as some of the boroughs of NY why don't we have better transit?
Gonna call BS on this. People are willing to spend money, i.e. taxes, however people in certain parts of the country (NJ being one) are ALREADY bludgeoned with incredibly high personal federal AND state income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes etc. much of it wasted on corruption and bloated govt programs.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:39 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Gonna call BS on this. People are willing to spend money, i.e. taxes, however people in certain parts of the country (NJ being one) are ALREADY bludgeoned with incredibly high personal federal AND state income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes etc. much of it wasted on corruption and bloated govt programs.
Federal taxes are based on income and essentially the same anyplace, (I don't think I pay a surcharge for living in NJ, in fact I can claim my NJ taxes, property and income on my federal return).

"Corruption and bloated govt programs" sound like a FAUX News sound byte. What's bloated is something like the F35 Joint Strike Force program, development cost alone estimated at $400 BILLION.

Please name some of the "bloated govt programs" in NJ.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
565 municipalities, many of which have less than 1000 people and are completely surrounded by other towns.

600+ School districts, each with their own Superintendent, Business Administrator, office, and miscellaneous support staff.

550 Law enforcement agencies, each with a Chief/Public Safety Director (and some with both).

725 Separate fire departments.

21 County governments that duplicate practically all of the services of the towns within them.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:53 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
565 municipalities, many of which have less than 1000 people and are completely surrounded by other towns.

600+ School districts, each with their own Superintendent, Business Administrator, office, and miscellaneous support staff.

550 Law enforcement agencies, each with a Chief/Public Safety Director (and some with both).

725 Separate fire departments.

21 County governments that duplicate practically all of the services of the towns within them.
This isn't much different than most northeast states. Every town has a separate local government.

Would you prefer one giant central bureaucracy handling all affairs for the state?

When I needed a parking permit for Union City all I did was walk into a little town office with nobody in line and apply at the desk. Should parking permits be all handled by one state DMV department with 10,000 people in line?

Old 05-10-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Would you prefer one giant central bureaucracy handling all affairs for the state?
Schools, fire/rescue, and police should all be handled at the county level and the county level only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
When I needed a parking permit for Union City all I did was walk into a little town office with nobody in line and apply at the desk.
I didn't say "abolish municipalities," I just said get rid of duplication. If towns want to issue parking permits and such, let them, but for example, its absurd that in NJ municipalities issue marriage licenses, operate departments of health (since every county has a department of health already), etc... These functions can all be consolidated at the county level. As you can see, I live in High Bridge, which is not quite a donut town but is definitely close. We have a seven member police department, for what purpose I have no idea. We would be fine with State Police coverage. We also operate two schools, an elementary and middle school, again, for what purpose I have no idea.

There is no reason to be doing government on this small of a scale... I would be perfectly happy if my town was under the protection of the Hunterdon County Sheriff's Office and the Hunterdon County Fire and Rescue Squad, and if my children attended schools operating under the Hunterdon County School District. Literally nothing would change in terms of services, just the tax bill for them.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:11 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,755,467 times
We should have an "If I was Governor..." thread to list what we would change in this state.

First priority on the list for me would be to consolidate municipalities. Any current municipality that has less than 10,000 residents must combine with others to form new municipalities that meet that threshold.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:20 PM

789 posts, read 703,289 times
Quote:
Federal taxes are based on income and essentially the same anyplace, (I don't think I pay a surcharge for living in NJ, in fact I can claim my NJ taxes, property and income on my federal return).

"Corruption and bloated govt programs" sound like a FAUX News sound byte. What's bloated is something like the F35 Joint Strike Force program, development cost alone estimated at $400 BILLION.

All an individual cares about is his total tax burden. You harping on fed vs state is irrelevant. What IS relevant is the total tax burden to a person in NJ is either the highest or one of the highest in the US. So asking people already under that burden for MORE and wondering why they balk lacks critical thinking. Sadly, you wearing your ideology on your sleeve with the "FAUX News" comment wins no points in adult debate.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:21 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,936 times
Quote:
There is a Meadowlands rail link. It opened in 2009.
New Jersey Transit

I agree that North jersey needs better transit. The question is how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey