Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:25 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
First priority on the list for me would be to consolidate municipalities. Any current municipality that has less than 10,000 residents must combine with others to form new municipalities that meet that threshold.
You could also just leave them in place but simply remove most of their authority. I like my town and would rather have things like planning and zoning under local control. However, with regard to major services such as police, emergency services, public works and schools, it makes literally no sense to have all control at the lowest level of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:27 PM

12 posts, read 17,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
You could also just leave them in place but simply remove most of their authority. I like my town and would rather have things like planning and zoning under local control. However, with regard to major services such as police, emergency services, public works and schools, it makes literally no sense to have all control at the lowest level of government.
This I tend to like it more local. But I understand how much more that means in terms of bleeding off cash to the government guys upstairs.
I think technology and electronic can take care of this in the near future so I'm actually inclined to side with you

Old 05-10-2016, 12:28 PM

789 posts, read 703,289 times
Quote:
With schools, it is likely best to keep as local as possible. Doesn't mean there aren't situations ripe for consolidation, but the local nature is likely one of the reasons NJ has one of the top public school systems in the country.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 PM

12 posts, read 17,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
With schools, it is likely best to keep as local as possible. Doesn't mean there aren't situations ripe for consolidation, but the local nature is likely one of the reasons NJ has one of the top public school systems in the country.
Disagree with schools...the best schools in NJ pull from huge geographies. URban and suburban.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
If you really believe that then all your ranting and raving on this board about bloated government on this board is just that. Talk. It's why we're in the situation we're in. Everybody wants to p--- and moan about how high their property taxes are, but when consolidation talks start, everybody says "OH BUT NOT MY CHILD'S SCHOOL!!!" County government is local enough. One County Superintendent, one Business Administrator, one Director of Buildings and Grounds, one County School Board (unpaid-no stipends), etc...

Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
If you really believe that then all your ranting and raving on this board about bloated government on this board is just that. Talk. It's why we're in the situation we're in. Everybody wants to p--- and moan about how high their property taxes are, but when consolidation talks start, everybody says "OH BUT NOT MY CHILD'S SCHOOL!!!" County government is local enough. One County Superintendent, one Business Administrator, one Director of Buildings and Grounds, one County School Board (unpaid-no stipends), etc...
Tewksbury uses our court system. I also think our dispatch covers Califon. We are in a different county! I guess it's working well. Small steps.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,870,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
There is a Meadowlands rail link. It opened in 2009.
New Jersey Transit

I agree that North jersey needs better transit. The question is how to do it.
Since it only runs in very limited amounts (7 days in June, for example), I'm not sure how relevant it is to the discussion about American Dream needing public transit.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Tewksbury uses our court system. I also think our dispatch covers Califon. We are in a different county! I guess it's working well. Small steps.
In my experience these little "shared service agreements" amount to little more than talking points that small town Mayors can crow about when confronted with residents who are angry about property taxes. Now mind you, that anger is often quite misdirected since the small town Mayors are only partially to blame, and its a small part to boot compared to what we spend on first responders and schools. Also, most of the cases where these shared service agreements exist involve a large-ish town sharing services with an incredibly small town (like Califon). They are quite necessary because it would be impossible (and ridiculous) for a town like Califon to provide it's own 24/7 police coverage. The reality is that towns themselves should not be providing these services in the first place let alone sharing them. It should fall entirely to the counties they are contained within.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:58 PM

789 posts, read 703,289 times
Quote:
Ranting an raving? lol.

I actually said there is probably room for consolidation but that in general schools are best administered locally. No rant. No rave.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Ranting an raving? lol. I actually said there is probably room for consolidation but that in general schools are best administered locally. No rant. No rave.
Most if not all of your 266 posts concern some sort of rant about how New Jersey is overtaxed and that our taxes fund "bloated government programs," yet you would preserve the single biggest driver of high property taxes in NJ. How can you possibly argue that it makes sense to have 600+ school districts, each with 3-4 administrators making six figure salaries? Each with a standalone office and support staff? Most with separate purchasing agreements and contracts with tens of thousands of different vendors. It's the definition of insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey