Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,874,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This is supposed to be the land of the free (stop laughing) and the home of the brave.
HOA's have a special provision where they declare themselves to be outside the United States and their various assumptions.

Seriously, I'll never understand why anyone goes for them. But, as the saying goes, it's the land of the free and something they choose to live under. They chose that rulebook and are literally paying money for it.

I'm much more a Pinkwater fan for houses myself. Get an alligator. Put up some frangipangi. Make your house a castle. Join a HOA. For me it's all the same.

Enjoy the space you live, and for some people that means that nobody's flag is more than 3' by 5'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 08:07 AM

27 posts, read 26,801 times
Paint your home with the colors of a giant American flag if they successfully force you to remove the poll.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:57 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,969,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
My son said screw them. Create a concrete pad in the flower bed and mount an above ground sleeve. The flagpole now would not be in the ground, but in the sleeve. Figured that would really **** the HOA off.
Wait and see what they say. They may allow you to have the ground pole after all.

I get aggravated with my HOA too. I don't really care about most of the rules and bylaws. My issues have been about various management and budget decisions. I've written some drafts of angry letters to the board (never sent), and have been tempted to be a gadfly at board meetings. What stops me is that if I ever need/want something done (e.g. repairs; help with a nuisance neighbor; approval for anything, administrative crap if I want to rent my unit, or when I go to sell), I'll need them on my side. Or, at least, I need them to not be an enemy. The repairs thing became evident after Irene, Sandy, and a couple other isolated incidents. Knocked over fencing; blown off siding, gutters and shutters; downed trees and busted landscaping...all taken care of with a phone call to the HOA.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,969,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
HOAs are for sucks. What a waste of everyone's time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I'll never live with -in another ever again.
Haha, I understand this sentiment. HOAs are not for everyone. But there are pluses and minuses to everything in life. And all HOAs are different.

For me, personally (for now), HOA living makes sense and meets my needs. My HOA dues cover professional landscaping, the water bill, snow plowing/shoveling, and all exterior maintenance including roof/siding/driveway/walkway/porch. I never have to mow/water/treat/rake the lawn, or prune any shrubs or look over any flowerbeds (like I'd even know how to do any of that), or bag leaves, shovel snow, power wash anything, or worry about having to repair the roof or repave the driveway/sidewalks. I don't have to spend time doing any of that, or worry about hiring randos off of Angie's List to do any of that. It's automatically taken care of. Everything is a total no brainer. That's what I want right now.

BUT, like I said, I hear what you are saying too, and am now looking toward graduating to a standalone property where I am my own HOA. I will be president of the board. My dog (the smart one) will be vice president. My other dog (the one with food aggression) will be treasurer (you want someone who's always counting other people's treats to be in charge of the money). And the cat can be secretary. THAT'S IT. We control everything. No one else gets to call any of the shots. I will make the cat screen & hire randos off of Angie's List.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I will make the cat screen & hire randos off of Angie's List.
"Well, that was the absolute weirdest phone call I have ever received about plumbing. I mean, I think we have the gig, but Mittens wasn't as clear as I would have liked about what time, you know?"

"Yeah man, I mean, what's time to a cat, right? Isn't everything the midafternoon nap time for them?"

Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I guess if she were beautiful and 21 years of age, you wouldn't have a problem?
then it would be ok

Old 02-28-2017, 04:27 PM

11,361 posts, read 16,727,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
then it would be ok
Hey hey...no hijacking...

Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 AM

17,014 posts, read 12,610,157 times
Yech. What kind of **** bags have a problem with the flag. (Im assuming its not 100 feet tall.)

Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Yech. What kind of **** bags have a problem with the flag. (Im assuming its not 100 feet tall.)
People who want to live in HOAs. Obviously.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:59 AM

11,361 posts, read 16,727,044 times
UPDATE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heard nothing from them since my rebuttal letter back in Feb. Figuring at this point I had the law on my side and they're just ignoring me.

Of course, watch me get a new letter tomorrow...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey