Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Jerseygirl is living in Candy Land. Where she lives, everyone is polite and kind. Her commute is like an Acura commercial where the woman finds the one empty, winding road in the mountains that overlooks the parking lot of traffic down below. Where she lives the environment is pristine, the beaches are free, and dolphins swim next to you. The trees are made of cotton candy and the rivers are chocolate.

The rest of us live in the real NJ where some jagoff is weaving in and out of traffic in a tinted-out BMW with his middle finger out the window, the smokestacks lining the NJ Turnpike are pumping out God knows what chemicals that you are inhaling, people are getting shot in Newark and Irvington, the toll you just went through cost you $15 and then its 7 lanes merging into 2 to cross a rusted out bridge that has one lane closed for the last 10 years but you never see any real construction, and to top it off, Pradeep the cab driver is cursing you off in some foreign language while he almost hits your car inching in front of you.

Typical NJ commute: https://goo.gl/maps/ABbPhSTq7Nv

Jerseygirl's commute: https://goo.gl/maps/5Jn42ghvonK2
Dude seriously, what actually is your problem?

YET AGAIN if you did anything more than come here to let us know how much we all suck, you would KNOW I complain about traffic/congestion and the trains frequently.

Just stop. It's super lame.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:42 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Dude seriously, what actually is your problem?
YET AGAIN if you did anything more than come here to let us know how much we all suck, you would KNOW I complain about traffic/congestion and the trains frequently.
Just stop. It's super lame.
Think of it this way:
At least you don't have to live with somebody who is as miserably unhappy as he is!

While I am empathetic with people who are demonstrably unhappy with their lives, I am not empathetic enough to endure their constant whining--hence the reason why that person is on my ignore list.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Think of it this way:
At least you don't have to live with somebody who is as miserably unhappy as he is!

While I am empathetic with people who are demonstrably unhappy with their lives, I am not empathetic enough to endure their constant whining--hence the reason why that person is on my ignore list.
Well thankfully for us this person doesn't post enough around here to warrant being on my ignore list. Not enough of a nuisance. Only likes to come out when it's time to bash NJ and its people. However that itself is making me reconsider...

Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
15 bucks. Ouch. Then they can't even maintain the bridge? FWIW, when bridges first started getting built, they only planned to charge tolls until the cost of the bridge was paid off.
People say that about every toll, but I think it's an urban legend.

Or maybe the politicians back then lied. Can you imagine that?

Old 04-21-2017, 06:53 PM

857 posts, read 835,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
People say that about every toll, but I think it's an urban legend.

Or maybe the politicians back then lied. Can you imagine that?
I think the Northern State parkway on Long Island is the only place I know of that discontinued the toll.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,325,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well thankfully for us this person doesn't post enough around here to warrant being on my ignore list. Not enough of a nuisance. Only likes to come out when it's time to bash NJ and its people. However that itself is making me reconsider...
Your patience is admirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
I think the Northern State parkway on Long Island is the only place I know of that discontinued the toll.
I'm familiar with the area. I didn't know there ever was a toll on the Northern State.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:05 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I'm familiar with the area. I didn't know there ever was a toll on the Northern State.
I'm not very familiar with the Northern State Parkway, but I can tell you that there used to be a toll (10 cents, IIRC) on the Southern State Parkway.

That toll was eliminated during the governorship of Hugh Carey. How do I recall who was governor of NY at the time? Because a HUGE billboard was erected next to the former location of the tollbooths, and that immense sign stated something along the lines of...Welcome to a toll-free highway, courtesy of Governor Hugh Carey.

More than likely, the toll on the Northern State was eliminated at the same time as on the Southern State.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:36 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,904 times
I believe Connecticut removed tolls on one road

Old 04-22-2017, 06:40 AM

857 posts, read 835,459 times
The toll on the northern state was eliminated I believe in the early 70s.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:08 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Think of it this way:

Now that I'm on your ignore list, I'm not sure what to do with my life. Life was going great; good career, nice wife, cozy home. But being ignored by you has made me reconsider it all. Smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey