Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 05:33 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I'm not very familiar with the Northern State Parkway, but I can tell you that there used to be a toll (10 cents, IIRC) on the Southern State Parkway.

That toll was eliminated during the governorship of Hugh Carey. How do I recall who was governor of NY at the time? Because a HUGE billboard was erected next to the former location of the tollbooths, and that immense sign stated something along the lines of...Welcome to a toll-free highway, courtesy of Governor Hugh Carey.

When Cuomo Sr. was governor, there was a .10/quart lubrication tax. So, if you bought a quart of oil for your car, the tax was sales tax plus an extra 10 cents.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:21 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,173 times
Quote:
I live with my parents still obviously until I get a career after graduating college
Well, that says it all. Get back to us when you are paying your own way.

Quote:
Because most addicts are productive members of society.
What planet are you on? If's that is the case, why is my tax money going to supplying Narcan to every first responder?

Quote:
Heroin use has dramatically increased across the U.S., spreading to groups it hadn't previously reached, and deaths from overdose have soared, according to a new federal report released Tuesday
Quote:
B. Work, employment and productivity
1. Influence of drugs on employment status and productivity
Drug abuse occurs most frequently among young people in the 15-35 age group, with a particular concentration in the 18-25 age group. It thus includes those who have entered or who are just about to enter the workforce. Given the high unemployment rates in many countries, entry into the workforce is often a major problem. Consumption of illicit drugs limits chances of entering or remaining in the workforce, while frustration caused by failure to find adequate employment favours drug consumption, thus creating a vicious circle.
There is often a strong correlation between unemployment and drug-taking habits, both in developed and developing countries. The 1992 British Crime Survey, for instance, revealed that life-time prevalence of drug abuse among the unemployed was 60 per cent higher than among the employed.50 The 1993 national household survey carried out in Colombia, showed that the annual
prevalence of drug abuse among the unemployed (4.1 per cent) was almost four times higher than among the employed (1.1 per cent). For cocaine specifically, the prevalence rates were 4.1 per cent for the unemployed, and only one tenth of that (0.4 per cent) for the employed.51 Similarly, the 1994 United States national household survey showed that the number of current abusers (i.e. those who had used illicit drugs at least once in the last month) among the unemployed was almost twice as high (13.9 per cent) as among people with jobs (6.7 per cent). The prevalence of cocaine abuse among the unemployed was currently five times larger (3.5 per cent) than for employed people (0.7 per cent).52 An earlier study carried out in California, found that "disruptive use of all drugs was significantly correlated with ... loss of jobs during the past four years, loss of job in the past six months, increased trouble with job, increased vandalism at work, and increased seeking of ... advice ... for a work problem".53 A more recent study, carried out by the International Labour Organization (ILO) and the European Community, which examined the effects of drug and alcohol abuse in the workplace in European countries, found that more than half of the interviewed employers' associations, enterprises and workers’ organizations reported specific performance impairments and absences from work as a result of drug- and alcohol-related problems. In approximately two out of five cases, organizations were forced to dismiss employees for drug- and alcohol-related reasons, which clearly shows the severity of the problem.54

https://www.unodc.org/pdf/technical_...98-01-01_1.pdf

Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Dude seriously, what actually is your problem?

YET AGAIN if you did anything more than come here to let us know how much we all suck, you would KNOW I complain about traffic/congestion and the trains frequently.

Just stop. It's super lame.
First of all, I never said anyone here sucks. I said NJ sucks. That's my opinion after living here for many years. You turned this personal by name calling, so I did the same. Secondly, I have 139 posts in the NJ forum. So, its not a "hit and run" type post. I post here when there is a topic I care about.

If I didn't live here, you might have an argument. But I do live here, I pay taxes, and I live in the dumpster fire that this state has become, so therefore I have the right to voice my piece, just as you do. Whether you like the opinion or not.

Perhaps you experience this garbage pail of a state differently than I do, or perhaps you are able to tolerate more BS than I do. So, with that said, lets just start over and remain civil. Ok?

Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,815 times
Is suburban NJ inferior to Long Island?

Old 04-22-2017, 09:48 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
In my opinion, no.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:53 PM

857 posts, read 835,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
First of all, I never said anyone here sucks. I said NJ sucks. That's my opinion after living here for many years. You turned this personal by name calling, so I did the same. Secondly, I have 139 posts in the NJ forum. So, its not a "hit and run" type post. I post here when there is a topic I care about.

If I didn't live here, you might have an argument. But I do live here, I pay taxes, and I live in the dumpster fire that this state has become, so therefore I have the right to voice my piece, just as you do. Whether you like the opinion or not.

Perhaps you experience this garbage pail of a state differently than I do, or perhaps you are able to tolerate more BS than I do. So, with that said, lets just start over and remain civil. Ok?
Or maybe she just lives in a nicer neighborhood and just has a better life in general.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
No. Suburban NJ is better because its west of NYC and therefore to escape you don't have to go through the city. But I'd say CT is nicer than NJ if we're comparing NYC metro areas.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
Or maybe she just lives in a nicer neighborhood and just has a better life in general.
Maybe so. Keeping up with the Jones is not my thing.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
No. Suburban NJ is better because its west of NYC and therefore to escape you don't have to go through the city. But I'd say CT is nicer than NJ if we're comparing NYC metro areas.
NYC doesn't own all of either state. No one from Putnam or Tabernacle cares about any of it.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I believe Connecticut removed tolls on one road

This is correct. In 1983 on I-95 (aka the Connecticut Turnpike) there was a serious accident at a toll plaza where a truck driver fell asleep and killed several motorists. The tolls were removed 2 years later. However, note Connecticut's high gasoline tax, although I heard New Jersey recently raised their gas tax as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey