Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:51 AM

543 posts, read 1,456,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We just had one of these posts recently. One more young person who thinks the trees look better in a different state. That's funny.
I know, it is so ridiculous..btw being an avid gardener it's well known that NJ has the best soil lol so there's that hence the name "garden state". I think our trees are awesome lol!

Old 04-15-2017, 08:12 AM

14 posts, read 47,256 times
Waaahhh

Old 04-15-2017, 01:52 PM

232 posts, read 278,882 times
I live on border pa jersey , poconos side. I was many times down shore and hike in allamuchy area.idk where people get that impression about jersey folks being very rude. Sure i met couple a holes but overall jerseyns are are open mind and helpfull.in my work in pa most cool people are from jersey. Im from outside us so i found them more outgoing like pa folks.yes some of them got jersey attitude but if you need help they never refuse.other thing is maybe some urban folks are not into nature but they plenty of people appreciate hike and bike allmuchy area. Lot of jersey plates in poconos on weekend. If i could afford i would move hackettstown area for sure.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:03 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I live with my parents still obviously until I get a career after graduating college. I lived in Morris County in the same house and town my entire life. I do not like the east coast at all in general
Really, why are any of you giving this guy the time of day???

Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 AM

712 posts, read 531,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post

You hate having children? You are 18. You ARE children. When you are 28, I am willing to bet that you're going to want to pass on your seed and spawn it up.

It's "You are a child". Not you are children. Children is plural. He is an individual. Not trying to be anal, but it drives me nuts! lol

I disagree. 18 is an adult. People used to have kids all the time at the age and got married. You can't make a living at 18 anymore so of course you can't support a family anymore. We coddle people and extend adolescence nowadays for no good reason. How's that working out? We've extended high school for 4 years. We now call it "college". People don't grow up nowadays. A bunch of "man-children" in their 20's walking around who lack personal responsibility. Being a "child" gives you excuse for bad irresponsible behavior. All extending adolescence does is increase immaturity. I wish we'd go back to 18 being an adult. It would force people to grow up and mature.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:36 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Knowing it is fake, or could be, does nothing for me. They might as well be "rude" to my face. What's the use for fake niceness if you know it is fake or they are just doing it to be nice and not get you offended?

Again, I really think you're being dramatic. Everyone feels irritable around here? People go from 0 to 100? Where? When? How commonly? I mean God, I mind my own business, go about my day like normal, and the only time I see any inkling of aggression or any of this behavior is when I'm on the road. The traffic is stressful and annoying... that's really it. Some people are just a**holes. But people drive like a**holes everywhere. NYC may just be worse than us. Do you people really have common, daily occasions face to face with other people, or simply observing other people, where you see this stuff happen? If so, what county/city/area do you live in? Because I don't see it in mine.

The guy who rang me up at Walgreens the other day had a great sense of humor and was talking to me. RUDE. The lady who rang me up at Whole Foods this week also was super friendly and talkative. What a b*tch. Same with the lady who helped me at the bank today. I was in a bar/restaurant tonight and complete strangers were bonding over the Rangers game. How rude of them. We're regulars and have made friends with one of the waiters because he is a huge Mets fan. SO rude. I just don't see all these instances of aggression and rudeness and instability that so many people like to claim exist.

I think some people, especially if they've lived elsewhere or are from elsewhere, just mistake people minding their own business and going about their lives, not stopping to talk or maybe even smile at strangers, not tending to strike up small talk with strangers, for being rude and impolite, unfriendly. I don't see it that way at all. It's a cultural thing and frankly I think it's rude to insinuate that this way of life and culture, one that extends basically to BosWash in general, is rude. Not understanding it doesn't make it rude. Going elsewhere and seeing how other people are doesn't make it rude. I also find it ironic that people who generalize a whole state as "x" have the nerve to call all THOSE people "x."
I'm from here. I've always lived here (NNJ) I know what I see. I wouldn't mind a bit more politeness, that's all. And I'll go further, I've seen it get worse over the past 20 years. I'll leave out the reasons why.

That's great that you think everyone is sweetness and light around here, you must be doing something right

Old 04-16-2017, 10:06 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,827,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
How can heroin addicts be major tax payers if they're doped up and unproductive?
Because most addicts are productive members of society. They are the everyday people that you see. Its not a 1980's movie with some dope fiend living in the NYC sewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I'm from here. I've always lived here (NNJ) I know what I see. I wouldn't mind a bit more politeness, that's all. And I'll go further, I've seen it get worse over the past 20 years. I'll leave out the reasons why.

That's great that you think everyone is sweetness and light around here, you must be doing something right
Jerseygirl is living in Candy Land. Where she lives, everyone is polite and kind. Her commute is like an Acura commercial where the woman finds the one empty, winding road in the mountains that overlooks the parking lot of traffic down below. Where she lives the environment is pristine, the beaches are free, and dolphins swim next to you. The trees are made of cotton candy and the rivers are chocolate.

The rest of us live in the real NJ where some jagoff is weaving in and out of traffic in a tinted-out BMW with his middle finger out the window, the smokestacks lining the NJ Turnpike are pumping out God knows what chemicals that you are inhaling, people are getting shot in Newark and Irvington, the toll you just went through cost you $15 and then its 7 lanes merging into 2 to cross a rusted out bridge that has one lane closed for the last 10 years but you never see any real construction, and to top it off, Pradeep the cab driver is cursing you off in some foreign language while he almost hits your car inching in front of you.

Typical NJ commute: https://goo.gl/maps/ABbPhSTq7Nv

Jerseygirl's commute: https://goo.gl/maps/5Jn42ghvonK2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeagles77 View Post
This is very on point for a lot of north and central NJ, but disagree that it holds for the state as a whole. Most of South Jersey has a fairly laid back and nature friendly vibe in my opinion, and the counties along the Delaware in the northwestern part of the state (Hunterdon, Sussex, Warren) have a lot more in common with PA than other parts of North Jersey.

I do agree that Jersey people (on average) are very disconnected from nature and have sensory overload from growing up in the most overdeveloped state in the country. If your "normal" is congestion, pollution, and asphalt, you're probably not going to be a big fan of the "great outdoors". I think this is most obvious to people who moved here as adults but grew up in other parts of the country. I previously lived in Massachusetts and New Hampshire before moving down to a very built up part of "Central" NJ a few years ago and was surprised at how big the culture shock was compared to New England.

I am like you and like to "stop and smell the roses" and I had many people where I used to live regard me with similar suspicions when doing things that would be considered normal most anywhere else, like looking at nature scenes on the side of the road. People are definitely more up in your business here and if you're not constantly looking "professional" everywhere you go (even on weekends and in your free time!) you will likely arouse suspicion and rude comments because Jersey people pride themselves on "telling it like it is"

I also feel like outdoor pursuits that are very popular in other parts of the Northeast (backpacking, camping, hiking, XC skiing, snowshoeing, etc.) are almost frowned upon as "low class" in a lot of parts of north and "central" NJ. That always struck me as odd as NJ has a lot of natural beauty and diversity of landscapes despite the stereotypes.

That said, where I live now in the northwestern part of the state is not like that at all. A lot less development and a lot more farms and parks, and the vibe is very similar to that of Eastern PA. Had I moved here originally, I probably would have a completely different view of the state, but the bad experiences in "Central" NJ did color my perception of things. So I definitely understand where you are coming from.
Yeah, I've lived in those areas. They are better, and I'd argue that South Jersey is a friendlier place overall and I definitely like the people better. Sussex, Warren, and Hunterdon are ok but most people from those areas have to commute many miles to points east and therefore get to have the NJ experience everyday, twice a day.

Last edited by VintageSunlight; 04-16-2017 at 10:28 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,326,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
the toll you just went through cost you $15 and then its 7 lanes merging into 2 to cross a rusted out bridge that has one lane closed for the last 10 years but you never see any real construction,

15 bucks. Ouch. Then they can't even maintain the bridge? FWIW, when bridges first started getting built, they only planned to charge tolls until the cost of the bridge was paid off.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 PM

378 posts, read 587,587 times
- I heard New Jersey was a better place 25 years ago, but it was okay when I was a kid back in the
early 2000s.

I hate to break it to you.....but it's clear you're still a kid.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
He's children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey