Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:01 PM

857 posts, read 835,328 times

Advertisements

Hey potato. I'm glad your mom was ok but I'd like to hear an opinion from one of the people who died.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:12 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I think my favorite part is where you said you hate the East Coast but want to move to Florida.

I didn't read much past that, sounds like you're working through a lot of stuff.
I didn't get that far.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:16 PM

414 posts, read 359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The tracks are owned by Amtrak. Not an excuse, but it's not NJ's fault. And it's not easy or cheap to just build more tracks and more tunnels in such a dense area. The smart thing to do in NJ would be to stop building apartment complexes everywhere, and stop adding more people to a place that's already over capacity.

At least we have water. We never have to worry about that kind of stuff.
Christie destroyed the opportunity to improve upon the infrastructure when he cancelled the ARC so he could
look like a Republican hero. So there was a chance for improvement, but it was squandered for an egomaniac's political ambitions, which ultimately got him nowhere and after last week's train debacle he's now a pariah. The tunnel should have been opened in 2018. Now it will probably be 2030, if the existing tunnels that are currently held together by chewing gum and duct tape can survive that long. Maybe last week's issue was AmTrak's fault, but AmTrak is starved by politicians in flyover country that don't care about NE infrastructure (but that's another issue for a different thread). The larger issue of no new tunnel for at least 10 years IS kind of NJ's fault (at least Christie's fault).

If there's money to be made and approvals are granted (through greased palms or other means), developers in NJ and NY will continue build regardless of overcrowding infrastructure. I'm not a fan of overdevelopment either - but like so much in NJ, it's not easy to fix. Odds are there will be a Hyperloop transporting commuters from NJ into NYC before the development mentality changes in NJ.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:26 PM

Hey potato, are you a boy or girl?

Old 04-10-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Most of your complaints make you sound like a giant baby. The trees are ordinary and dark green... seriously? You literally need to search for reasons to justify your hatred. What kind of reason is that? Also can I see your proof that the Parkway OR Turnpike (your words) are the most dangerous in the country? Also where does the Parkway smell? By the natural salt marshes and bays? Yeah sorry about that nature.

I am positive there are 0 cops in Seattle/WA waiting to catch speeders.

You're probably trolling given that list, because for some reason people find it sooo fun to tell the NJ forum how much the state sucks, but if you're not... I agree with jaymoney. Some serious issues here.

Actually anyone who calls the AC beaches the "safest and cleanest" must be trolling.
We just had one of these posts recently. One more young person who thinks the trees look better in a different state. That's funny.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Yo

Old 04-10-2017, 07:29 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Well I mentioned that I visited California and Washington in 2016 and it was amazing as anything. I even met Californian people through my cousins' friends and they were nicer. Trust me. However, I did not know relatives to know anyone in Washington, so I cannot make assumptions about Washington people. My mom grew up in SF Bay Area and she said everything I like about the west coast is true. In fact, my mom experienced the worst SF earthquake in the 1980s and she and all my relatives survived it and nothing got destroyed and she still loved the place to death.
Visits to places are not living in places. Everything is fresh and romantic when you are visiting a new place. Guess what. Paris is a boring horrible contaminated slum to many people who live there. Yet here, it is the City of Lights. Yeah, until you have to live there.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Was he young? My co-worker's husband is a state trooper about to retire this year, he does not patrol anymore mainly desk work, but anyway we were talking about his upcoming retirement and she he said it cant come quick enough because the new hires and the younger hires are not like they used to be.. granted if your speeding and braking the law on the roadways you deserve a ticket, but some of them are taking their power a little too far I guess. Maybe the farmer was under the impressing that maybe you were and animal activist trying to see if any abuse was going on, who knows..
Maybe that's the problem. Young guy trying to prove himself. I've never had that sort problem with a state officer. The few I've spoken with were professional and courteous. Not always the case in PA, but that is just my experience.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,706 times
Quote:
Oh my god, I can't believe that situation with the NJ State Trooper happened. They seem stricter than cops in just any NJ town. They hide out on highways and they are there to catch speeders so that the speeder can still be caught if they cross town borders. The cops in my town especially got smarter in finding hiding spots around town. That law about taking a photograph in the NJ state parks are ridiculous! I can't believe they exist! I am so happy you even posted on here, because I learned some mind twisting facts about New Jersey that I would never imagine. I never had a speed ticket in my life, so I would not know what it's like talking to a NJ police officer.
Potenta,

First thing, most important thing, remember this is, the plural of anecdotes is not data.

You can know if Jersey cops are troopers or worse or better by looking at data, not listening to anecdotes.

Second, you haven't lived until you lived in fly over land. I recommend you move to Fargo in January, this will do three things for you immediately.

1. You get an iron clad guarantee that nothing worse will happen to you all year long. (At least weather wise)

2. The rest of the year will be better than January and February no matter how long the snow stays on the ground.

3. All your other bad decisions will pale in comparison.

BUT!

You will meet the nicest people in the country.

You will learn what low crime rate really is. The cops have public information campaigns telling people they must lock thier cars. The drivers are polite. The cops are polite.

I got a speeding ticket, 56 in a 40. I was driving a bright red Mini Cooper S. I deserved the ticket. The officer had to stand in the cold and write the ticket. It cost me 15 dollars. I am still ashamed that I would make anyone stand in the cold to give me a citation for driving stupid.

In the winter when things slow down, you can get up on the interstate going west, north or south, (east is crowded) and drive along for an hour without passing anyone in any direction. In the summer it gets busy and sometimes you will see both a car in front of you and one in your mirror.

I live in Des Moines now, the hustle here is a little much for me. I lived on Staten Island in the 1980's and in Northern Virginia in the late 80's and in Hong Kong in the 1990's. If I were to live in a city, after living in Hong Kong and having been to London, Paris, Munich, Stugart and many other places, a large U.S. City, any large U.S. City is simply to be avoided. Although, Boise is nice and I think I might like downtown Tacoma and Bismarck North Dakota wouldn't break my heart. Then again my wife really likes Sioux Falls, and it is a pretty nice place, but there are no large lakes nearby.

Just for information, I was raised in Texas and after some time away spent 15 years back in Texas, 10 on the Gulf Coast near Lousianna and 5 or so in the piney woods of Deep East Texas. I do not recommend it.

Personally, even at my late career, I am thinking of the west coast. In fact I will be heading to Oregon for a couple of months.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Well I mentioned that I visited California and Washington in 2016 and it was amazing as anything. I even met Californian people through my cousins' friends and they were nicer. Trust me. However, I did not know relatives to know anyone in Washington, so I cannot make assumptions about Washington people. My mom grew up in SF Bay Area and she said everything I like about the west coast is true. In fact, my mom experienced the worst SF earthquake in the 1980s and she and all my relatives survived it and nothing got destroyed and she still loved the place to death.
You're the person who posted the last complaint. My mom grew up in SF...blah, blah, blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey