Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:44 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well, we don't live in a normal country. Just look at our president We instead invest in expensive military toys that make Pentagon and President happy...
We should have a big parade!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 03:15 PM

19,136 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
We should have a big parade!
Which--by a strange coincidence--will cost exactly the same amount as our now-cancelled joint military maneuvers with South Korea would have cost.
Those joint maneuvers were--supposedly--cancelled in order to save money, but those savings will be blown in just a couple of hours, via with a totally useless exercise designed for just one purpose--to glorify our "fearless" leader.

I wonder whether there will be a float depicting magically-disappearing bone spurs...

Old 07-26-2018, 08:34 PM

31,926 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Few things to keep in mind.

Nearly all NJT, PATH and other passenger RR infrastructure was inherited, purchased or whatever from now defunct railroads. As such much if not all of it was designed and built nearly one hundred years ago (more or less), and to serve different purposes.

PATH nor Amtrak/NJT mainline into Manhattan was certainly never built to handle traffic loads they routinely sees today.

It is well worth nothing that well into the 1960's some railroads still ran ferry service across the Hudson.
https://www.jebruner.com/2007/06/new...oken-terminal/

The opening of Holland and Lincoln tunnels spelled end for ferry service, and pushed those who would not or could not drive onto PATH or NJT.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well, we don't live in a normal country. Just look at our president We instead invest in expensive military toys that make Pentagon and President happy...
I think it's great that a private citizen with zero political experience can become POTUS. That's what makes our country different and no other place in the world you can do that without being born into royalty or schooled all the way up.

Trump like him or not, has made may changes for better or worse that few recent presidents dared to tackle.

You can't dispute the policy he is pushing is pro-America and some changes will hurt somebody but no such thing as a policy change that doesn't effect one group.

We need POTUS that steps up and gets things done rather than sit on his butt for 8 years and not take any action because he's afraid of upsetting one group or another. This is how Americans lose faith in our system.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:13 PM

19,136 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think it's great that a private citizen with zero political experience can become POTUS.
If you don't think that relevant experience in one's chosen career field is important, then I urge you to hire a plumber to perform your next colonoscopy.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you don't think that relevant experience in one's chosen career field is important, then I urge you to hire a plumber to perform your next colonoscopy.
If you taken any office job, does your manager or boss have the qualifications too? I lost track of how many English majors get to become directors and execs of specialized companies. Specialized professions require the skills but being POTUS takes exec experience which he has and his entertainment experience allows him to communicate with the people something that Hillary doesn't have because she was a career politician and DC insider that wouldn't change the dynamics of the current government. If you think things were working since Obama left the WH then you're not who Trump appeals to.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM

702 posts, read 540,637 times
It seemed like it was getting better but now it's awful again. Yesterday and today (morning) were both "sardine can" days as the interval between rush hour trains is way too long. Yesterday I saw people pushing their way onto already packed trains, Japan style. That's a new one.

I thought they were supposed to be wrapping up the PTC work, September is going to be a nightmare as people get back from vacation. Seriously considering taking the bus.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:34 PM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
It seemed like it was getting better but now it's awful again. Yesterday and today (morning) were both "sardine can" days as the interval between rush hour trains is way too long. Yesterday I saw people pushing their way onto already packed trains, Japan style. That's a new one.

I thought they were supposed to be wrapping up the PTC work, September is going to be a nightmare as people get back from vacation. Seriously considering taking the bus.
Even if the PTC work gets done there is still the resiliency work and stations work and state of good repair work that will be going on for a long time.

Fortunately, this is what rush hour looks like for me right now and pretty much most of August.

Semi-retirement is good. You'll get there someday.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think it's great that a private citizen with zero political experience can become POTUS. That's what makes our country different and no other place in the world you can do that without being born into royalty or schooled all the way up.

Trump like him or not, has made may changes for better or worse that few recent presidents dared to tackle.

You can't dispute the policy he is pushing is pro-America and some changes will hurt somebody but no such thing as a policy change that doesn't effect one group.

We need POTUS that steps up and gets things done rather than sit on his butt for 8 years and not take any action because he's afraid of upsetting one group or another. This is how Americans lose faith in our system.
You weren't satisfied with the results of a Harvard-educated president that came up with cash for clunkers and shovel ready projects to get the economy moving?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:15 PM

702 posts, read 540,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Semi-retirement is good. You'll get there someday.
Nice.

I took the 1 bus after work. It takes about 20 minutes longer than the PATH train but I got my own seat with plenty of space and the bus doesn't jerk to a stop every 30 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey