Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 07:28 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Now today's commute was special, because even though the platforms weren't as badly crowded and the trains seemed to be relatively on schedule, I got to experience that summer phenomenon known as The Anonymous Commuter For Whom Deodorant Is Not A Thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 10:07 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I got to experience that summer phenomenon known as The Anonymous Commuter For Whom Deodorant Is Not A Thing.
Isn't that appalling?
Years ago, my mother had the misfortune to have a co-worker (ironically, named "Rose") who reeked, and everyone was revolted by her odor. Finally, my mother and the other teachers pre-arranged that, at lunch, someone would "innocently" ask everyone for deodorant/anti-perspirant recommendations because she--allegedly--wanted to switch brands.

So, they went around the table, and various brands were recommended to the woman who claimed that she wanted to switch brands. Finally, they came to Rose, and she was silent. Someone asked, "Which deodorant do you use, Rose?", and Rose's reply was, "Oh, deodorants are only for people who are dirty or who sweat a lot. I'm one of those lucky people who don't need a deodorant."

Old 06-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Isn't that appalling?
Years ago, my mother had the misfortune to have a co-worker (ironically, named "Rose") who reeked, and everyone was revolted by her odor. Finally, my mother and the other teachers pre-arranged that, at lunch, someone would "innocently" ask everyone for deodorant/anti-perspirant recommendations because she--allegedly--wanted to switch brands.

So, they went around the table, and various brands were recommended to the woman who claimed that she wanted to switch brands. Finally, they came to Rose, and she was silent. Someone asked, "Which deodorant do you use, Rose?", and Rose's reply was, "Oh, deodorants are only for people who are dirty or who sweat a lot. I'm one of those lucky people who don't need a deodorant."
That sounded like a great idea for how to handle it. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work well.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,870,328 times
Worked out fine for 'ol Rose, who got to brag about her luck!

Old 06-20-2018, 12:25 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Incidentally, the visual aspects of Rose were almost as bad as the olfactory aspects.
Rose was... well upholstered... above the waist, and she was a very sloppy eater. The result was an incredible assortment of stains on the "bosom" area of her clothing. Apparently, the clothing was rarely--if ever--washed, so it carried her funkiness as well as abundant remnants of her meals.

As you might have guessed, Rose was single.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:27 AM

31 posts, read 38,196 times
Something really needs to be done with the PATH. I've been riding it for a month, and the experience is terrible. I don't know why they even bother publishing a schedule. The train is never on time.

Today, I got to the Grove St station at 6:30am to get on the 6:33 33rd st train. No trains for 20 minutes. WTC train shows up at 6:53, I get on that since I have no idea how long the wait for the 33rd st train will be. Have to take subway from WTC to my office. I arrive at my office at 7:20 am.. A 1 hour door to door commute to ?!?! My office is only 3 miles from my apartment.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:19 AM

702 posts, read 540,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelM View Post
Something really needs to be done with the PATH. I've been riding it for a month, and the experience is terrible. I don't know why they even bother publishing a schedule. The train is never on time.

Today, I got to the Grove St station at 6:30am to get on the 6:33 33rd st train. No trains for 20 minutes. WTC train shows up at 6:53, I get on that since I have no idea how long the wait for the 33rd st train will be. Have to take subway from WTC to my office. I arrive at my office at 7:20 am.. A 1 hour door to door commute to ?!?! My office is only 3 miles from my apartment.

As infuriating as it is, the 6:33 train may have left early. Last night I was leaving late from the office so instead of just blindly going down to the (Exch. Pl.) station like I normally do, I checked the schedule and decided which train to take. I gave myself plenty of time to make it, and when I got on the long escalator down to the platform, there were a couple of women blocking me from walking down the steps as I normally do. 'That's okay' I told myself 'I have plenty of time'. As I got near the bottom, I heard that dreadful sound of a train in the tunnel, I ran to the track just in time to see the doors close. I checked my phone and it left 4 minutes early. Ugggh

Old 06-22-2018, 08:56 AM

Interesting. I commuted by PATH for most of my 40 years, and never once did I think to check a schedule. I just waited for a train to show up. I guess I assumed the schedule was just a formality.

Now NJ Transit, I go by the schedule because there are fewer trains.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelM View Post

Well, if you've only been riding it for a month, you should lower your expectations, since you are starting to use this form of commute right smack in the middle of all the work they are doing.

However, I'm afraid that even after the resiliency and signal work is completed, it's never going to be pleasant. The fact of the matter is that there are limits to capacity and the system will not be able to handle all the growth in the service area as the population on the Jersey side continues to expand.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:36 AM

702 posts, read 540,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, if you've only been riding it for a month, you should lower your expectations, since you are starting to use this form of commute right smack in the middle of all the work they are doing.

However, I'm afraid that even after the resiliency and signal work is completed, it's never going to be pleasant. The fact of the matter is that there are limits to capacity and the system will not be able to handle all the growth in the service area as the population on the Jersey side continues to expand.

The ads in the cars suggest that after the PTC work is complete they'll be able to run rush hour trains more frequently, but I'm a little bit skeptical. That sounds like it would cost money and it seems like they're always low on funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey