Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2021, 03:07 PM

50,954 posts, read 36,646,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Depending on how NJ writes the laws about MJ, the towns might not have any say. What if every town banned the sale of MJ? In my opinion, no town should be allowed to ban the sale of a legal substance. That should include alcohol. Those antiquated alcohol laws need to be updated, also.

I hope NJ does the right thing and allows the sale of MJ in any town.
No state has forced every town to have recreational sales. I do not think New Jersey will do that. I don’t see how they can force alcohol sales either. States have rights in this country.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, I'm surprised that Pitman isn't on that list.
Probably will be. All the towns that I said no are not on that list, such as Ocean city.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,659,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No state has forced every town to have recreational sales. I do not think New Jersey will do that. I don’t see how they can force alcohol sales either. States have rights in this country.
That’s not what he’s saying. Forcing is not the same as allowing.

I don’t know what you mean by “states have rights in this country”. Shouldn’t it be “people have rights in this country”? As in the rights to sell whatever legal goods they want?

Old 02-25-2021, 07:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post

I don’t know what you mean by “states have rights in this country”. Shouldn’t it be “people have rights in this country”? As in the rights to sell whatever legal goods they want?
its interesting to think that states and towns have rights above individuals. towns dont have rights to trample on individual rights. the right to buy any legal product and sell any legal product belong to us and no town, state or federal government should be able to prevent that from happening. i dont understand why there is no accountability for the government of all of those towns to punish them for restricting the rights of their residents. those politicians need to be in prison.

it also should have the right to say that many illegal products be illegal products (like every single drug). but we are going to get there.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:37 AM
46H

1,655 posts, read 1,406,422 times
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you to HudsonCoNJ - I can not rep you.

Towns should not be allowed to exclude legal products from being sold. They can set zoning to keep the retail sales in a commercial area, but eliminating legal retail sales is wrong.

Alcohol laws are a product of Prohibition (1920-1933). For various reasons, we are stuck with limits on alcohol sales that no longer make sense, often controlled by county and town ordinances. This situation should be avoided for MJ sales.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:11 PM

34,138 posts, read 47,376,088 times
Actually NJ should set the standard for the Eastern Seabord, you have the opportunity

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-26-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:

I don't know, and the fact it's not yet legal Federally might make a difference. But I think Ocean City and it's residents have a right to choose not to have alcohol. Having alcohol there would change the town completely. People built businesses there based on the fact that it's popular because it's a "family resort" and heavily religious, with no alcohol in public allowed, because that's one of the reasons it is so popular. And every single time even "bring your own" has been put on a ballot, it has been overwhelmingly defeated by the people who lived there. Pot would be the same to me. Why does one person who wants to sell it outweigh 20,000 who don't want it? I'm not pretending to have answers, but it's a difficult question. I was one of those who voted against alcohol repeatedly when I lived there, and I like to drink. But I didn't want the town to change and I didn't want college kids to be attracted to the town. It would have changed everything about the town.

They have already banned pot sales by passing an ordinance that prohibits its' sale with 1/4 mile of a school church, the boardwalk, and any residential area, which covers the entire town. They banned drones using the same method, banning them within 5 miles of any airport, which effectively covers the entire town.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
Quote:
Why does one person who wants to sell it outweigh 20,000 who don't want it? I'm not pretending to have answers, but it's a difficult question.
i am one that believes our rights are the same no matter where we are. 20,000 people dont have the right to stop the person from selling it. they have the right to not buy it from him. both actions are voluntary, rights respected. them forcing their will on him is a rights violation and i would lock all 20,000 of those people in prison for life. i have the right to go to saudi arabia and sell alcohol if i want to. i will pretend that you didnt admit to being one of those people!

ok, im joking about the locked in prison for life for these people. id just assign them all mandatory education on individual rights. however, when i say that about police and politicians i mean it!

Old 02-26-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i am one that believes our rights are the same no matter where we are. 20,000 people dont have the right to stop the person from selling it. they have the right to not buy it from him. both actions are voluntary, rights respected. them forcing their will on him is a rights violation and i would lock all 20,000 of those people in prison for life. i will pretend that you didnt admit to being one of those people!

ok, im joking about the locked in prison for life for these people. id just assign them all mandatory education on individual rights. however, when i say that about police and politicians i mean it!
I didn't want my quality of life to go down, and I don't like change!

Old 02-26-2021, 08:21 PM

30 posts, read 22,718 times
Weed is legal as of last Monday at 1100. Police are forbidden from approaching anyone under 21 possesing Marijuana and alcohol. They are forbidden by law to notify the parents of anyone under 18 using or possesing Marijuana or alcohol.

The smell of marijuana is not enougn to search a car regardless if its a minor driving it.

Tax money will only go to black and brown communities and not the states general fundd for all.

Only people in black or brown communities will get first preference to open up a Marijuana store.

Attached is a link to the NJ attorney generals webpage. You were all duped if you voted for this.

https://www.njoag.gov/marijuana/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey