Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 05:46 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny because after marijuana is fully legalized people will look back on this era as the same as we look back on prohibition; like it was absolutely ridiculous. yet people like him dont get it.

in the future, all drugs will be decriminalized and prescriptions will not be required for medication. but that is too shocking now. in the future, it will be shocking that people let the government tell them what they can or cant consume.
Prohibition wasn’t ridiculous. There are still “dry” counties and towns today. Crime, domestic abuse, and health problems all declined. The overall crime rate was skewed higher in cities like Chicago, which were already corrupt and became more so with illegal alcohol. But the federal government had cleaned most of those operations up near the end of prohibition anyway. The real problem was that it wasn’t given enough time and enforcement to work.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 08:04 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Prohibition wasn’t ridiculous. There are still “dry” counties and towns today. Crime, domestic abuse, and health problems all declined. The overall crime rate was skewed higher in cities like Chicago, which were already corrupt and became more so with illegal alcohol. But the federal government had cleaned most of those operations up near the end of prohibition anyway. The real problem was that it wasn’t given enough time and enforcement to work.
listen, if you want to sign an agreement that the government can run your life and make decisions for you then i am all for it. but we have natural rights that prohibit the government from infringing on our liberties unless we are harming others (not before we may potentially harm others). i never signed anything agreeing to be held to those laws so they are a violation of my rights and everyone else who didnt sign off on them.

you are a horrible person. you want to harm others for no reason because you get pleasure out of controlling what other people do.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:20 AM

so i voted the other day. voted for jo jorgensen, yes to marijuana and no to property tax relief for veterans. left everything else blank.

we were discussing the question the other night at dinner with some friends and two guys who both brought marijuana edibles to dinner said they were against legalization, seriously, wtf. another friend (who has heard more of my libertarian rants) threw decriminalization out there to try to get a more rational position and they still seemed against that. i dont know wtf is wrong with some people. i guess one issue is they dont assume that they would ever get in trouble for it but that ignores all of the people who have.

i actually had a conversation with one of the guys another time and i said one issue with legalization is what to do with people in prison for those crimes, you gotta free them. and he said to me "do you?" i dont know how someone could be ok with people being in prison for something that is legal today.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:17 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
so i voted the other day. voted for jo jorgensen, yes to marijuana and no to property tax relief for veterans. left everything else blank.

we were discussing the question the other night at dinner with some friends and two guys who both brought marijuana edibles to dinner said they were against legalization, seriously, wtf. another friend (who has heard more of my libertarian rants) threw decriminalization out there to try to get a more rational position and they still seemed against that. i dont know wtf is wrong with some people. i guess one issue is they dont assume that they would ever get in trouble for it but that ignores all of the people who have.

i actually had a conversation with one of the guys another time and i said one issue with legalization is what to do with people in prison for those crimes, you gotta free them. and he said to me "do you?" i dont know how someone could be ok with people being in prison for something that is legal today.
How did the ones who brought the edibles to dinner justify also being against legalization? I say wtf, too.

Old 10-05-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How did the ones who brought the edibles to dinner justify also being against legalization? I say wtf, too.
one thing the guy said is that even being illegal it is still easy enough to get. he also mentioned something about kids deserving to get punished for screwing around. i didnt challenge him on it so im not sure how he could justify punishing someone for what he does himself.

Everyone seems to exploit kids for their tyrannical preferences. Me and my wife are the parents of my children, not the government.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 10-05-2020 at 11:50 AM..

Old 10-05-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
one thing the guy said is that even being illegal it is still easy enough to get. he also mentioned something about kids deserving to get punished for screwing around. i didnt challenge him on it so im not sure how he could justify punishing someone for what he does himself.

Everyone seems to exploit kids for their tyrannical preferences. Me and my wife are the parents of my children, not the government.
They are also forgetting the vaping issues we had a year or so ago (I have lost track of time with all going on). It was not vaping e-cigarettes that caused those people to go into respiratory failure, it was buying black market marijuana vape cartridges. They were everywhere before that, we bought some ourselves but stopped after they determined that those were the problem. People used formaldehyde and other cheap fillers, making them at home to sell on the streets. It was the fillers destroying people's lungs.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejp View Post
I just moved to NJ from Denver. I was there 5 years. If I hadn't known already and seen the dispensary signs, I would have no idea it was legal. It had literally zero impact on my life, and I lived in a pretty central neighborhood. I don't consume it at all, but I can think of no rationale explanation for keeping it illegal while alcohol is legal.
Some try to make out like you can't even walk down the street in legal states without walking through clouds of smoke. Thanks for truth.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
They are also forgetting the vaping issues we had a year or so ago (I have lost track of time with all going on). It was not vaping e-cigarettes that caused those people to go into respiratory failure, it was buying black market marijuana vape cartridges. They were everywhere before that, we bought some ourselves but stopped after they determined that those were the problem. People used formaldehyde and other cheap fillers, making them at home to sell on the streets. It was the fillers destroying people's lungs.
legalization should get us access to better quality products.

im not really a fan of marijuana since i feel like it makes it hard for me to keep up with conversations. ill be talking and easily lose track of my thoughts. alcohol doesnt do that to me (but alcohol does have more calories). id like legalization of every drug then maybe there will be a good product developed that feels more like alcohol without the calories.

my position is more aggressive than pretty much anyone wants to hear. i managed to get roped into a political discussion a few weeks ago and i think the guy was so shocked by my opinions that he wasnt sure how to respond.

anyway, full legalization of every single drug and elimination of prescription requirements for medication (and free from prison anyone in there for those "crimes." and just to **** people off, locking up any cop that arrested someone for those crimes for kidnapping.

it seems that some people just have a belief that you are supposed to follow the law no matter what. "the law is the law." you just do what the government says.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 10-05-2020 at 01:04 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
legalization should get us access to better quality products.

im not really a fan of marijuana since i feel like it makes it hard for me to keep up with conversations. ill be talking and easily lose track of my thoughts. alcohol doesnt do that to me (but alcohol does have more calories). id like legalization of every drug then maybe there will be a good product developed that feels more like alcohol without the calories.

my position is more aggressive than pretty much anyone wants to hear. i managed to get roped into a political discussion a few weeks ago and i think the guy was so shocked by my opinions that he wasnt sure how to respond.

anyway, full legalization of every single drug and elimination of prescription requirements for medication (and free from prison anyone in there for those "crimes." and just to **** people off, locking up any cop that arrested someone for those crimes for kidnapping.

it seems that some people just have a belief that you are supposed to follow the law no matter what. "the law is the law." you just do what the government says.
Regarding your last line, the same people are often roaring the loudest about government tyranny and invasive government trampling on individual rights when it comes to masks.

I like your wild beliefs. It makes me chuckle to see how uncomfortable people get when they can’t place you neatly in a “Left” or “Right” box. And we aren’t on the same team on a lot of topics so I delight when we are cause you argue it well.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Regarding your last line, the same people are often roaring the loudest about government tyranny and invasive government trampling on individual rights when it comes to masks.

I like your wild beliefs. It makes me chuckle to see how uncomfortable people get when they can’t place you neatly in a “Left” or “Right” box. And we aren’t on the same team on a lot of topics so I delight when we are cause you argue it well.
yes, i try to not allow my privileged situation determine my positions. like me, my friends have a low likelihood of facing any consequences of their violation of the law. so ok, keep it illegal since i get to use what i want and im in no danger; tell everyone else to follow the law. sounds nuts but i guess its easy when you see no consequences. in the meantime, police are no knock raiding people's homes over a plant and murdering them and their dogs every day. i wonder if their opinions would change if they actually got arrested for possessing their marijuana edibles. they are otherwise intelligent people and yet they can simultaneously be chewing on a marijuana edible while saying they oppose legalizing marijuana edibles.

i appreciate the sentiment. i personally enjoy hitting people with ideas that offend and confuse them and i also enjoy being called a leftist or right winger. ive been doing this a long time. i started out more a pure troll and now i dont consider myself as much of a troll, i just like to push buttons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey