Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2020, 11:09 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the way the ballot question is written in NJ, it may be 3 or 4 years before you can enter a dispensary and buy pot.
If it stops arrests in the meantime I can be patient for the rest. NJ is third in the nation for marijuana arrests, more than 30,000 a year and of those only about 3000 are for selling or conspiracy to sell the rest are simple possession. We just don’t hear about it all that much because it largely doesn’t affect us. 39% of the arrests are black folks, even though they only make up 13% of New Jersey population. That’s 30,000 people a year whose lives are effectively ruined, no chance of getting a job, apartment etc because they now have a record.

I got a bit upset on a Facebook group for my town, when people were saying things like “ I don’t think it should be illegal, but I’m going to vote no because I don’t like the way they wrote the tax portion“ or similar. So even though you don’t think it should be illegal, you’re fine with allowing people to continue to go to jail until the perfect bill is put in front of you? Again, most of us have the luxury of waiting knowing that we will not be affected most likely even if we smoke. A lot of people don’t.

The good news is there was a poll associated with that posting, and it was 65 yes to 16 no. Hopefully the numbers in real life will be similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 11:21 AM
46H

1,653 posts, read 1,402,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wonder if someone vote's no here, what is their culpability in the crimes that the police commit against people when enforcing these tyrannical laws? many people want to blame politicians but then assign them no penalty for their actions. many people want to claim police are innocent because they are just doing their jobs. if a vote is held where people can choose whether or not something remains criminal, do their have the responsibility of a politicians passing an illegal law? maybe anyone voting no should be locked in prison.

just because something is put to a vote doesnt actually mean that you have the right to make a yes vote. democracy is just tyranny of the majority and when you violates someone's natural rights, you are committing a real crime. nobody has the right to make any drugs illegal, doing so makes you guilty of violating people's natural rights.

In the case of marijuana, it is tyranny of the minority. Most polls show over 60% of Americans support legalization of pot.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
In the case of marijuana, it is tyranny of the minority. Most polls show over 60% of Americans support legalization of pot.
people think that a republic is better than a democracy because instead of us voting on laws, we get a group of corrupt politicians to vote on our behalf. in this case, the corrupt politicians have passed laws that the majority of people dont agree with.

in either case, it doesnt really matter if people agree or not. what matters is that everyone's rights are respected. drug laws violate our natural rights and are wrong no matter how many people or politicians vote for them.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:03 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If it stops arrests in the meantime I can be patient for the rest. NJ is third in the nation for marijuana arrests, more than 30,000 a year and of those only about 3000 are for selling or conspiracy to sell the rest are simple possession. We just don’t hear about it all that much because it largely doesn’t affect us. 39% of the arrests are black folks, even though they only make up 13% of New Jersey population. That’s 30,000 people a year whose lives are effectively ruined, no chance of getting a job, apartment etc because they now have a record.

I got a bit upset on a Facebook group for my town, when people were saying things like “ I don’t think it should be illegal, but I’m going to vote no because I don’t like the way they wrote the tax portion“ or similar. So even though you don’t think it should be illegal, you’re fine with allowing people to continue to go to jail until the perfect bill is put in front of you? Again, most of us have the luxury of waiting knowing that we will not be affected most likely even if we smoke. A lot of people don’t.

The good news is there was a poll associated with that posting, and it was 65 yes to 16 no. Hopefully the numbers in real life will be similar.
must be too many police if they can offer to arrest people for simple possession. These days life goes on after a pot arrest, even the cops allow for past marijuana use on a job application. You're overstating the consequences of a simple pot arrest...

Old 10-17-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
must be too many police if they can offer to arrest people for simple possession. These days life goes on after a pot arrest, even the cops allow for past marijuana use on a job application. You're overstating the consequences of a simple pot arrest...
there are too many police. also, the criminal justice industrial complex is the primary opposition to legalization efforts because it isnt good for their business.

a pot arrest is a kidnapping by an armed assailant. its putting you through a legal process and introducing a lot of risk of negative consequences in your life. i think its treated differently in different places so you cant say the same thing everywhere but its horrible no matter what. any cop who arrests anyone for a drug "crime" needs to be locked up.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:56 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2020/10...oll-shows.html

Old 11-02-2020, 08:15 AM

looks like we have decriminalization of hard drugs like heroin, cocaine, LSD, etc. in oregon on the ballot.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...drugs-73932283

people who think marijuana is the end are dead wrong. legalization isnt going to stop until all drugs are legal and prescriptions arent required for medication.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:31 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
people who think marijuana is the end are dead wrong. legalization isnt going to stop until all drugs are legal and prescriptions arent required for medication.
Sounds good to me. But we should also have a one-strike-and-you're-out policy for Nalaxone. Second time you OD of your own free will (once drugs are legal and in controllable doses), you don't get saved. (maybe that's two strikes)

Old 11-02-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Sounds good to me. But we should also have a one-strike-and-you're-out policy for Nalaxone. Second time you OD of your own free will (once drugs are legal and in controllable doses), you don't get saved. (maybe that's two strikes)
i did get the feeling my post could have been seen as opposition so i should make it clear that i am for legalization of all drugs and ending prescription requirements for medication.

why do you feel the need to devise some kind of nalaxone policy where people wouldnt get it if they have an OD? are you getting some kind of satisfaction from the deaths of others that you feel the need to say "ok they can have drugs but if they OD i dont want them to have life saving medication?" do you think that including your evil immoral requirement makes you look like a decent person? i find it disgusting and totally insane that people have decided that 1. they have a right to have a say in withholding life saving medication from people and 2. that they have chosen to let people die.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:40 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
why do you feel the need to devise some kind of nalaxone policy where people wouldnt get it if they have an OD? are you getting some kind of satisfaction from the deaths of others that you feel the need to say "ok they can have drugs but if they OD i dont want them to have life saving medication?" do you think that including your evil immoral requirement makes you look like a decent person?
I'm tired of supporting people forever regardless of their self-destructive behavior. They OD, get Nalaxone, are nursed back to some state of health at taxpayer expense, then they go out and OD again. At some point they should not be saved from the consequences of their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey