Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 07:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times

Advertisements

‘Alarms Are Going Off’: New Jersey Hits Highest Covid-19 Transmission Rate Since April As Northeast Sees New Spikes In Cases
'Alarms Are Going Off': New Jersey Hits Highest Covid-19 Transmission Rate Since April As Northeast Sees New Spikes In Cases ... that “alarms are going off” regarding the new transmission rate, which NJ.com notes is ... initial outbreaks have more recently experienced worrying rises in their case counts, ...
3 hours ago

N.J. reports 10 new coronavirus deaths, 699 new cases as transmission rate rises to 1.35
N.J. reports 10 new coronavirus deaths, 699 new cases as transmission rate rises to 1.35 ... By Matt Arco | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com.
6 hours ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 08:23 PM

182 posts, read 136,617 times
And yet every Thursday, Friday and Saturday there are different cars parked outside of my apartment with NY, CT and PA plates.

Shut down the travel for at least week.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
This "transmission rate" appears to be based on confirmed cases without taking into account increased testing. It's total nonsense intended to promote panic. Testing in NJ has gone up, so cases have gone up. Positivity has remained pretty flat at around 1.5%, though last week there's been some data problems with NJ reporting only positive tests on last Saturday and Tuesday.

And no, this has nothing to do with re-opening. If Murphy wasn't going to move to re-open with cases declining for months, it's because he's not going to re-open until a vaccine or an election.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
This "transmission rate" appears to be based on confirmed cases without taking into account increased testing. It's total nonsense intended to promote panic. Testing in NJ has gone up, so cases have gone up. Positivity has remained pretty flat at around 1.5%, though last week there's been some data problems with NJ reporting only positive tests on last Saturday and Tuesday.

And no, this has nothing to do with re-opening. If Murphy wasn't going to move to re-open with cases declining for months, it's because he's not going to re-open until a vaccine or an election.

He has to show me it's not political, using NJ residents, and especially businesses (especially certain ones like the gym in Southern NJ) as pawns.
Otherwise, he speaks from both sides of his mouth a lot IMO.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:17 AM

9 posts, read 6,459 times
UPDATE on 31 NJ teens that tested positive:

All are still in quarantine. One teen had a low grade fever for about 24 hours. So far none of the others have developed symptoms.

Family members of the teens have all tested negative, and plan on having one more test.

Resources have been made available to families in quarantine as needed.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:03 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Default NJ's rising rate of transmission...

... and how it is calculated:

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...alculated.html

Old 08-03-2020, 12:52 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,063,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Alot of potential for errors, eh ?

Old 08-03-2020, 01:32 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I only skimmed through the explanation of the calculation but it made my brain hurt so I stopped.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:09 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Alot of potential for errors, eh ?

Last edited by Retriever; 08-03-2020 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-03-2020, 04:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I only skimmed through the explanation of the calculation but it made my brain hurt so I stopped.
I’m a numbers person, so any time I see ‘estimation’ it makes my brain hurt.

In April we had 7,000 daily tests on average, and now we have over 20,000 being performed, so you’re going to catch a lot more of the overall cases. The rate of transmission was 1.02, but because so few people were being tested, we really had no idea how many additional people each positive person was infecting. You would have to test everyone, practically every day to have an accurate number.

This doesn’t mean that NJ is in worse shape. Look at the positivity rate. In April, 44% of the people testing were positive. (Average. It was as high as 64%.) Now we have 1.3% testing positive. Just because we’re finding more of the cases in the general population, that doesn’t mean they’re all going to get very sick and need hospitalization. It also doesn’t mean that they’re suddenly going to infect five people instead of one or two, it just means that we’re more likely to catch a few more of the people that do get infected.

Comparing July/August to April is dumb.

Quote:
As a result, the state’s 7-day positivity rate has seen a free fall from a high of 64% in mid-April — when only the sickest patients were receiving tests — to much of the month of June, which saw positive rates settle in between 1% and 2%.
Positivity rate is still 1.3%. Virtually no change since June, despite “opening” things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey