Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 04:37 AM

860 posts, read 1,339,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I wasn't referring to you - odd - but let's go.

"Correcting?" Amusing. It's not a "misleading quote" -- a quote cannot be misleading... saying it is putting out 'wrong information and I'm sure you don’t want to be part of that'.'
You were quoting my post so if you weren’t referring to me, no one but you could tell. The way you quoted, or more accurately, paraphrased, Murphy implied stores could kick you out for not wearing a mask, when in reality he said that was what he wished could happen but immediately acknowledged that legally they couldn’t. Two different messages from how you paraphrased him and what he actually said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 05:17 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
You were quoting my post so if you weren’t referring to me,
I did not quote you in my first post. So still no.

Quote:
The way you quoted, or more accurately, paraphrased,
I literally copied and pasted Murphy's QUOTE. If you wish he said something differently, if you wish his tone or intent came across in a different manner, go take it up with him. If you think his words didn't accurately represent his meaning, maybe tweet him?
Dishearteningly, arguing on the internet with strangers while people are losing their lives is a priority for many.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:20 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wasn’t referring to Murphy’s directive being a recommendation. The poster I was responding to said that what Murphy said was the same as what the White House and Fauci already said. I replied that was a recommendation while Murphy’s directive was a requirement.
Ok, makes sense.
Masks are good.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:31 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
This is definitely not good news:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gn=coronavirus

Old 04-09-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I did not quote you in my first post. So still no.

I literally copied and pasted Murphy's QUOTE. If you wish he said something differently, if you wish his tone or intent came across in a different manner, go take it up with him. If you think his words didn't accurately represent his meaning, maybe tweet him?
Dishearteningly, arguing on the internet with strangers while people are losing their lives is a priority for many.

Here is the verbatim transcript from the briefing yesterday. Murphy clearly would like to be more strict, but legally, the stores can't stop a person from entering the store just because of no face covering.

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Reporter asks: “In the executive order today, requiringsupermarkets to have everybody wearing masking, what happens if someone doesn’twear a mask? My good friend was in the supermarket yesterday, most people werenot wearing masks. Will they be kicked out of the supermarket? Will they face anotherpunishment? Will they be added to the jackass/knucklehead list? Will there be acriminal charge? What’s going to happen and are you giving direction to the supermarkets?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Governor Murphy’s Response: “I’ll give you my answer on aface covering, so these are not masks per se, these are face coverings,correct? I hope people get asked to leave. Now I’ll ask Paramel (name wasunclear) what’s the actual legal remedy?”[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Person offscreen Paramel?: “So if someone refuses to wear amask when entering a supermarket for medical or other reasons the supermarketis to allow them access to the store but they can limit their time or theirproximity to other customers to keep everyone safe.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Governor Murphy: “I think that’s benevolent. I’d prefer toeven be tougher than that but…” [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]After that the subject changed to parks. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

Old 04-09-2020, 07:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Here is the verbatim transcript from the briefing yesterday. Murphy clearly would like to be more strict, but legally, the stores can't stop a person from entering the store just because of no face covering.

[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Reporter asks: “In the executive order today, requiringsupermarkets to have everybody wearing masking, what happens if someone doesn’twear a mask? My good friend was in the supermarket yesterday, most people werenot wearing masks. Will they be kicked out of the supermarket? Will they face anotherpunishment? Will they be added to the jackass/knucklehead list? Will there be acriminal charge? What’s going to happen and are you giving direction to the supermarkets?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Governor Murphy’s Response: “I’ll give you my answer on aface covering, so these are not masks per se, these are face coverings,correct? I hope people get asked to leave. Now I’ll ask Paramel (name wasunclear) what’s the actual legal remedy?”[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Person offscreen Paramel?: “So if someone refuses to wear amask when entering a supermarket for medical or other reasons the supermarketis to allow them access to the store but they can limit their time or theirproximity to other customers to keep everyone safe.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]Governor Murphy: “I think that’s benevolent. I’d prefer toeven be tougher than that but…” [/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]After that the subject changed to parks. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
its hard to read that. i would think it may not be legal for the government to force stores to reject customers not wearing masks but i wouldnt think that it would be illegal for stores to choose to reject customers not wearing masks. they are private entities with private property rights and i dont see why they couldnt reject someone unless it was for a discriminatory reason.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:21 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,151,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its hard to read that. i would think it may not be legal for the government to force stores to reject customers not wearing masks but i wouldnt think that it would be illegal for stores to choose to reject customers not wearing masks. they are private entities with private property rights and i dont see why they couldnt reject someone unless it was for a discriminatory reason.
The problem is anything can be considered discriminatory. If someone says they weren't wearing a mask because they can't afford one then they will sue the store for being discriminatory against poor people. If it's a minority they will call out racism. That's just how our society is. No store wants to take on that liability.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The problem is anything can be considered discriminatory. If someone says they weren't wearing a mask because they can't afford one then they will sue the store for being discriminatory against poor people. If it's a minority they will call out racism. That's just how our society is. No store wants to take on that liability.
while that is certainly possible, my experience is that those types of lawsuits dont go anywhere if you can demonstrate that it wasnt discriminatory.

i think that it would be difficult to enforce in the present situation because masks arent readily available for the general public. so now you are stopping someone from buying groceries because they dont have something that isnt easily found. that isnt a good situation to be in as im sure you would get a lot of arguing and put employees already in a tough situation in an even tougher situation.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Eww don’t know why is pasted like that. Didn’t show all those formatting marks at that time. Ugh. But yeah, stores might be able to compel it but I doubt they will. We’ll see next week what the response is like.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:05 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
It doesn’t have to be a mask, but face covering. If all you have is a scarf, that’s fine. No one can claim discrimination if it applies to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey