Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 08:44 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
x100000000

My "small business" was deemed "essential".

The months of both March and April? Every day (we cut the hours of operation down to 8 vs. 13) has been like NYE. Over 100K UP in sales for both months - and most of May, as well.

Now, this week, heading up to what is a typically busy holiday weekend, sales have dropped off (back to normal). Folks are running out of their stimulus dollars and that extra $600/week in UE is going toward paying their real bills. The party is over.

They'll soon be demanding that they get back to work AT their jobs that they can't earn an income from while sitting in their PJs @ home.
Just so you know that this does not apply to everyone, my fiancé and I have no income coming in although he is starting to go back to work now in the past week or so (construction). We’ve been living off of our emergency savings, but we still didn’t want to see the state just open up instantly. I think it’s going at a good pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 856,433 times
Does anyone think Murphy will move into Stage 2 next week, which includes allowing outdoor dining and barber shops/personal care reopenings? He said this morning that Stage 2 is coming soon.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:27 PM

168 posts, read 128,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Does anyone think Murphy will move into Stage 2 next week, which includes allowing outdoor dining and barber shops/personal care reopenings? He said this morning that Stage 2 is coming soon.
I'm not so optimistic on this one. People obey social distancing rules less and less. This means number of infected is likely to grow.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:59 PM

1,142 posts, read 856,433 times
More people have been out for weeks now and the infection rate continues to drop. Therefore, I honestly think that this virus was "seasonal" and it will continue to dwindle away regardless of social distancing or mask wearing. Not saying it would go to zero cases without a vaccine, but I really do not see any indication it will surge again this season, all politics aside. Yes, I do fear it will return again next Feb or March if there is not a vaccine available by then.

I am trying to remain optimistic about reopenings because I need a haircut and would want to see small businesses survive.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
More people have been out for weeks now and the infection rate continues to drop. Therefore, I honestly think that this virus was "seasonal" and it will continue to dwindle away regardless of social distancing or mask wearing. Not saying it would go to zero cases without a vaccine, but I really do not see any indication it will surge again this season, all politics aside. Yes, I do fear it will return again next Feb or March if there is not a vaccine available by then.

I am trying to remain optimistic about reopenings because I need a haircut and would want to see small businesses survive.
Infection rates are not continuing to drop nationwide, though. Infection rates are dropping in the Tri State and PA. And it's no coincidence we have been socially distancing and wearing masks and offices and bars and restaurants and parks and any other social gathering have been closed. The fewer people exposed = the fewer people testing positive. As more people gather again, the virus will find new victims. If it were "seasonal," then countries or regions that do not have winter should similarly be seeing slowing infection rates. But that's not true.

First off, it's not true even here in the US.

Secondly, even countries without winter seasons whatsoever are struggling like Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Panama, Mexico (with Mexico City mostly), central Indian, Singapore has a high rate, Russia's infection rate is recently bad as it's getting warmer even though it wasn't bad in winter, Bahrain, UAE, Kuwait, and several others.

Some of those countries have been testing for a long time and the numbers just continue going up. Some are only testing more recently so numbers are only going up now. But either way. They have pretty high rates of infection + no winter seasons.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:40 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Infection rates are not continuing to drop nationwide, though.
True infection rates are pretty much unknown. Confirmed infections basically rise with testing. If you want a completely bogus measure of infection rate based on new cases, rt.live has it; it shows every state but Alaska, Utah, Maine, and North Dakota with falling infections.

Quote:
Infection rates are dropping in the Tri State and PA. And it's no coincidence we have been socially distancing and wearing masks and offices and bars and restaurants and parks and any other social gathering have been closed.
I think it is a coincidence. The virus burned through the area moving outwards from NYC, apparently heedless of any lockdowns. Now it's pretty much over, and our politicians are pretending it's hard work to re-open when it's the same stroke of a pen that resulted in closure.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:16 PM

4,178 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The virus burned through the area moving outwards from NYC, apparently heedless of any lockdowns. Now it's pretty much over, and our politicians are pretending it's hard work to re-open when it's the same stroke of a pen that resulted in closure.
Agreed.

Stage 2 should commence no later than June 5.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:17 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
True infection rates are pretty much unknown. Confirmed infections basically rise with testing. If you want a completely bogus measure of infection rate based on new cases, rt.live has it; it shows every state but Alaska, Utah, Maine, and North Dakota with falling infections.

I think it is a coincidence. The virus burned through the area moving outwards from NYC, apparently heedless of any lockdowns. Now it's pretty much over, and our politicians are pretending it's hard work to re-open when it's the same stroke of a pen that resulted in closure.
There are numerous reports of other countries trying to reopen and going back into lockdown because of increased rates. I think NJ has done a great job of decreasing its cases. But from what I see, people are not social distancing properly still. I've seen lines to get into stores with literally no social distancing whatsoever. I've personally had people waiting behind me in lines standing only 1-2 feet away and I've asked them politely to please back up a bit. I don't think it's purposely. It's just normal, but we haven't changed our ways enough yet. The boardwalks were packed last weekend. Sunday and Monday look to be nice sunny days, so I'm sure the shore will be packed. There have been reports of people standing in large groups very close to other large groups on the streets in NYC drinking and not social distancing or wearing masks whatsoever. Restaurants have allowed people in despite that not being allowed yet. I regularly see people wearing masks improperly.

It just seems like we aren't taking this seriously enough. I think our trends in NJ are great and we've, in theory, slowed the spread enough to reopen things slowly and safely. I just don't think in practice it will end as well as we think since too many people are not doing what they should be to make sure it doesn't start spreading again. Rates went back up in other countries that are taking this more seriously than us. I don't have tons of hope we'll be okay.

As for the Southern states reopening, there have been numerous issues such of still lack of tests, test results intermingling, lack of reporting, rationing of tests away from the general public, etc. And according to this site, the ICU usage is still dangerously high in many Southern states, including FL GA and TX. FL's rate of infection has increased according to that. It is not testing at the rate it should be. Georgia's ICU's are nearly full. Texas' rate is flat, but still has been over 1k per day and IIRC its major cities like Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio are still not open the way the Governor is hoping. It also is not testing even close to what it should be testing daily, yet still its % positive tests are too high. Its ICUs are too full as well still. Alabama's rate of increase is mostly flat, but ICU usage is too high and it's not meeting its testing rate and its % positive results are too high. Arkansas' rate of infection is skyrocketing, yet its still not meeting its testing requirement. Arizona is not meeting its testing requirement not even close. It's not the same in every state, but clearly, no state is honestly fully ready to reopen. But looking to the South is not a good thing for showing we can do it because they're often not testing properly or still have high rates of infection and ICU usage.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just so you know that this does not apply to everyone, my fiancé and I have no income coming in although he is starting to go back to work now in the past week or so (construction). We’ve been living off of our emergency savings, but we still didn’t want to see the state just open up instantly. I think it’s going at a good pace.
Just so you know, I know it doesn't apply to everyone. This is why people need to get back to opening their businesses and their employees need to get back to work. Following the recommended ways of going about doing so, of course.

And trust me, I was hoping, back in March, that our type of business would not be on the "essential" list. Too scary & WTF (at the time) is going on, really? I have an asthmatic child. Don't need to bring anything home to him. Then it turns out, the farther we have gotten in to this complete s_hit show, supposedly asthmatics don't have any worse of a time recovering, should they "catch" C-19. However, that could revert back, tomorrow.

It's like how one day masks are a good thing and the next day the mainstream media runs with a report saying that they aren't.

I don't think that an instant re-opening is a good thing either, then again, the CDC has been combining positive test cases with positive antibody tests and reporting all as "new cases". So what is the real deal, and WHO thought that positive antibody tests should be conflated with positive active tests?

The very vocal & afraid and the immunocompromised & elderly? Should and can stay home until they feel safe enough to go out. Whether that takes a vaccination or a "cure" for them.

Let the rest go back to work and/or re-open their businesses while also acclimating to the "not so normal" way of conducting business and life in general, pre-the virus China was so happy to share with the world.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:55 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
ok genius, since you choose to answer a question with another question:

ansky's post, #488 in this thread, which you quoted as what you were responding to, discussed people working from home.

your response:

Really ? What small business is essential in NJ ?

Sounds to me like you're not so small after all !

ansky was talking about people working.

you are talking about people who are unemployed.

what does one have to do with the other ?

You are a prime example for why so many in NJ send their kids to private schools.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey